Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,650 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If he stood up to her he'd get a bollocking, the cold shoulder or whatever. She's the boss in the relationship. I know a lot of couples like that

Just because it happens doesnt make it right and doesn't make either more wrong than the other.

If one of a couple doesn't voice an opinion when they don't like a decision then they have no one else to blame but themselves.

If they don't feel like they can question a decision then they shouldn't be in the relationship.

But either case doesn't make someone wrong for being opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

either case doesn't make someone wrong for being opinionated.

She had absolutely no considersation for the son or the mother in law.

'I want this' 'this is my decision' 'my kitchen' 'I have no memories associated with this house' etc.

Eh, first of all it's not your house. You moved in with the son and now you're putting money towards the renovation. Secondly, have some respect for your mother in law and husband ffs

I don't consider her opinionated. I consider her heartless, mean, and lacking compassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,650 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    She had absolutely no considersation for the son or the mother in law.

'I want this' 'this is my decision' 'my kitchen' 'I have no memories associated with this house' etc.

Eh, first of all it's not your house. You moved in with the son and now you're putting money towards the renovation. Secondly, have some respect for your mother in law and husband ffs

I don't consider her opinionated. I consider her heartless, mean, and lacking compassion.

That's a different matter. And I don't disagree. I just don't think the notion that she should be blamed cos he didn't want to have an opinion o his own.

But I agree that she should have been a lot more considerate of the MIL. Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just because it happens doesnt make it right and doesn't make either more wrong than the other.

If one of a couple doesn't voice an opinion when they don't like a decision then they have no one else to blame but themselves.

If they don't feel like they can question a decision then they shouldn't be in the relationship.

Yes that's true but not always that easy to stand up to someone who has power or control over the other. He's quite submissive. She's quite dominant. Maybe it works for them. I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes that's true but not always that easy to stand up to someone who has power or control over the other. He's quite submissive. She's quite dominant. Maybe it works for them. I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

All those steps scattered about with an elderly lady and a toddler = stupid. I'm assuming she'll need to put stair gates on them? It'll ruin her aesthetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,757 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, it breaks one of the basics of good architecture when it is not functionally designed.
    Lots of drawings passed my desk, over the years. Hate steps, avoid if possible.
    Between toddlers, old people, handicapped, injury, they are such an exclusion feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe Sarah's idea of the steps was to keep somebody out of the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Watched tonight's show hoping my initial impression of Sarah was overrated - she's awful second time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

The daughter in law was a pain in the arse. I'd say if she could pack Mary off to a nursing home she would have.

Totally agree. I'd say poor old Mary has very little time left in that house. Some Monday morning, she'll be told - "Now Mary, we're going on a little trip". Next thing she knows, she's waking up in Shady Pines. That daughter in law is a weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MOD:

ENOUGH!

OK back on topic discussing the actual program and house and not the dynamics of the people who were filmed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Expect this thread to fall off a cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

amdublin wrote: »
    MOD:

ENOUGH!

OK back on topic discussing the actual program and house and not the dynamics of the people who were filmed

This thread is about room to improve, so talking about the people in show in whatever shape or form is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The show is as much about the people as it is the builds. I know, blame the producers.

I do not find discussing the participants is outside the realm of the TV show. This is entertainment after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is the final episode on tonight ?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is the final episode on tonight ?

No, episode tonight. Mrs. Browne's Boys is on!

My 3000 post, your 2 ahead of me!

No, episode tonight. Mrs. Browne's Boys is on!

My 3000 post, your 2 ahead of me!

Oh my god that's terrible news :(

Nice one I didn't even notice gratz on 3k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I heard Ian Harte on Today FM doing a questions and answers thing on home improvement . He was the lippy builder that used to have a bit of banter with Dermot on previous series .
    I was thinking he would make an interesting tv show in contrast to one led by an architect , or maybe do it half and half with an architect

Would prefer a grand design type of program where its not sticking to one architect and you see a number of concepts /designs/ dreams of individuals.

Make it as detailed as you would grand designs in terms of the concept, attention to budget and things like internal heating.

I know we probably wouldnt have many builds as large as grand designs but the concept for smaller houses could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Absolutely, if they went for a Grand Designs type show we would spend more time talking about the designs and less about the owners. Grand Designs always seems more detailed when it comes to the actual build while still giving a little background story to the owners. In Room To Improve we've been taken to places like Croke Park and a fire station, in order to tell the story of the owners.

I would imagine at this stage that the producers place a greater weight on the owners than to the builds when deciding what applications to go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Think I've seen every Grand Designs episode at least 3 times. Dermot can't hold a candle to Kevin ... and I don't mind Dermot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

https://twitter.com/COCOtv_/status/838518430152155137

Not sure if it's been posted but Coco Television put out a tweet on the state of the last house that was meant to be in the last series.

Room to improve first aired in June 2007. They might do something for the 10th Birthday! So they might do something for that because it's being a fairly successful series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They're calling it "the final project" - does that mean it could be the last ever episode of Rom to Improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    They're calling it "the final project" - does that mean it could be the last ever episode of Rom to Improve?

Highly unlikely. Their TV ratings are fantastic and have never been higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Confused.........no one has commented on the last episode - the quaker house in Wicklow won. Was that a repeat ? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

recipio wrote: »
    Confused.........no one has commented on the last episode - the quaker house in Wicklow won. Was that a repeat ? :o

That was home of the year not Room To Improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

This thread is about room to improve, so talking about the people in show in whatever shape or form is fair game.
    The show is as much about the people as it is the builds. I know, blame the producers.

I do not find discussing the participants is outside the realm of the TV show. This is entertainment after all.

ENOUGH!

Stop talking about what happened on the show, now back to talking about what happened the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

matrim wrote: »
    That was home of the year not Room To Improve

Duh..........thanks, must get out more .:eek:

• Advertisement

There's a repeat on next Sunday at 7pm. It's the episode with the pilot from Drogedha.(I think what some would call an unfinished wall caused a lot of trouble)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement