Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Bro in law has timber effect tiles in his house - couldn’t believe it when he said it, I actually had to touch to floor to check it. They are the business!

Yes they should be great to keep clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The QS doesn't need a good tv presence. Just to be a good QS. Even Dermot had said she is
    I don’t know much about QS-ing even though the bro in law is one but weren’t her costing just under €200k but when it went to tender it was well over €300k. Did they do a massive amount of changes or did the QS seriously under price it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lisha wrote: »
    I’d need him gone for a week st least :):)

I hear Daniel is looking for a roadie.
    They are using the cash from the bb programme and the gas safety advert. So yeah rte are paying in a way.

Was Daniel on Big Brother? :D
    Timber effect tiles, what a great idea, didn't know they existed, best of both worlds.

I've laid them a good few times. The last ones were 1200 x 200 mm. About 7 kilos each. A right ba€tard to lay unless the floor is like a billiard table. At least with timber there's a bit of give.
    Anyone know what kind of price those wood effect tiles are compared to bog standard tiles?

They're nearly always porcelain which are more expensive. The ones I mentioned above were e55 per sq metre. but they were exceptional. You could get shorter ones 600 x 150 for about 35 to 45. I'm not sure where you're living but those would be the prices around here. Adhesive 20 plus per bag plus a tiler.
    Wouldn't it be colder on tiles than wood, although not everyone gets underfloor heating?

If the house is warm the tiles will be warm. A bit like storage heating. They take a while to heat up and cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Bro in law has timber effect tiles in his house - couldn’t believe it when he said it, I actually had to touch to floor to check it. They are the business!

Assuming he doesn't have Daniel's 'warm front' on the tiles ;)
    Are the tiles colder to walk on than the wood effect?

I don’t know much about QS-ing even though the bro in law is one but weren’t her costing just under €200k but when it went to tender it was well over €300k. Did they do a massive amount of changes or did the QS seriously under price it?

Or found out it was Daniel :confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Wondering that myself. It wasn't explained very well. Daniel didn't like the house plans at 349k so Dermot must've gone on a solo run with the design. Either way they knew the budget was 200k yet didn't know the current rate of materials and labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Could have saved some money had they got Daniel to install the gas boilers himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I enjoyed this show tonight. Majella is very talkative but herself and Dermot seem to get along very well ;) House was gorgeous and I’m delighted she got to keep her light fixture

Assuming he doesn't have Daniel's 'warm front' on the tiles ;)
    Are the tiles colder to walk on than the wood effect?
    I didn’t believe they weren’t wood - I had to get down on the floor and actually check, no word of a lie! They are in a living room / conservatory type room with a good stove so the room actually feels cosy.

Autosport wrote: »
    I enjoyed this show tonight. Majella is very talkative but herself and Dermot seem to get along very well ;) House was gorgeous and I’m delighted she got to keep her light fixture

& Daniel got to keep his wardrobe doors, & maybe some day he'll come out of them with 'jazz hands' :p

• Advertisement

These are the ones mentioned above. Too long for that particular job but I had no say. There were only three tiles in the room that didn't have to be cut.

442138.jpg

442139.jpg

442140.jpg

442141.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Dannys extra ensuite meant taking out structural walls and putting in steel

Atlantic Dawn, These were forty per sq metre. Not great pics due to bad camera and bad light . They look a lot better polished up.

442142.jpg

442143.jpg

442144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Kuva wrote: »
    Dannys extra ensuite meant taking out structural walls and putting in steel

Did they not say that they'd save 20k if they removed that extra ensuite and he agreed to that. But Dermot later found a way to fit it back in. But they massively underestimated the costs first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Weepsie wrote: »
    Id personally sack Dermot if I were his client.

Who cares if it's hideous, do what the customer asks for as much as possible.

Personal taste is more important than what is "correct"
    If this is how you think, then don't hire an architect. You obviously have no idea how architects work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Quazzie wrote: »
    If this is how you think, then don't hire an architect. You obviously have no idea how architects work

I wouldnt hire him either . I hate being railroaded into something and Dermot is very good at that .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I wouldnt hire him either . I hate being railroaded into something and Dermot is very good at that .

You hire an architect because you are buying into his vision. If his vision is conflicting to your own beliefs or opinions, then that's fine, you should hire a more compatible architect. But that isn't the architects fault. It'd be your fault for hiring the wrong architect in the first place.

This show is about Dermot, and his interpretations of what properties can be. It's a bit silly to tune in to every episode and expect something different when it's the same architect every time. What you're looking for is Grand Designs

Have to say it was one of the more enjoyable episodes of RTI I've watched in a while. The couple were great for tv. I've never really watched the bnb program they do. Daniel has a dry kinda humour about him with his little quips. Interesting to see the bit of bickering between the couple. Majella seems to wear the trousers although she showed a softer side when she said they house didn't feel like home at the start and when she showed the cottage on the island. Daniel was tight enough with the pennies considering the amount of money he makes. There were a few Donegal phrases that I would pick up on through my Donegal husband but the singing of the Hills of Donegal at the end was cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Quazzie wrote: »
    You hire an architect because you are buying into his vision. If his vision is conflicting to your own beliefs or opinions, then that's fine, you should hire a more compatible architect. But that isn't the architects fault. It'd be your fault for hiring the wrong architect in the first place.

Well exactly which is why I wouldnt hire him in the first place .He would be wrong for me and my needs .We cant all love Dermot and his architecture , I dont and I would not hire him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Does anyone know if its going to be repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

ilovetorun wrote: »
    It's rte . So will probably be repeated. If it was tv3 it would be repeated at least 10 times !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I loved the show,thought there was great banter between all of them and it was very entertaining.Sometimes I feel sorry for the couple when the budget goes over but knowing there was no shortage there last night made it easy viewing imo.

I'd say Daniel isn't a walkover at all,I loved that he was questioning the wardrobe and Majella kept the chandelier,they both seem very ordinary with no airs and graces to me(I loved them on the B&B series also).

Another easy on the eye builder last night also..😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hate the tiles tbh, I dont like alot of Dermots ideas at all but im with him on this one. You want the material to respect the material that it is. Timber is by its nature warm and tiles by theres are cold.

Im really not into the Faux look and as aptly demonstrated by her last night. These can crack if a tool is dropped on them or a pot where as a good timber floor can dent and be repairable easily.

Not for me at all.

listermint wrote: »
    Timber is by its nature warm and tiles by theres are cold.

With UFH heating tho the opposite is true. Tiles heat up much quicker, and are so nice in the winter compared to wood floors, and the opposite in the summer, they are lovely and cool in the summer when there is no heating on and the house is warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Good episode. The house was awful in the beginning. Looked like it was built and decorated in the early 2000's. I really hate when people try and give houses character by building faux castles or faux georgian etc They will never look or be authentic so why bother. The layout was much better and the windows made the most of the surroundings. I can't believe i'm going to agree with Dermot on this but the house could definitely used more wood. I love grey but it was a little cold without some wood or more natural materials. (I also hate the grey and yellow colour scheme)

I thought both Daniel and Majella came off great in this episode. Daniel didn't have much interest in the project but the few things he wanted he got. This clearly was Majellas project and she spends the most time in the house. Too right she should be pushy. She has to live their at the end of the day. I'd say something if Daniel had real interest and she wasn't letting him get a word in but it wasn't like that tbf. They both seem to have a good sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ilovetorun wrote: »

Saturday 3.45pm RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Not a Daniel lover as such but liked them as a couple on the B&B show so think I'll watch this on RTE player tonight based on what Ive read here..

Aw I really enjoyed this! It turned out so beautiful. Loved Majella too! You could see how appreciative she was of how it all turned out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,770 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

722,000 on average tuned in last night making it the most viewed program so far this year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement