Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lawred2 wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »
    To buy, site costs in fermoy are cheap, all in I’d say 850. Still 4 bed budget for Dublin

This point would have validity if all they did was build your standard 4 bed.

What would the budget be to build that in Dublin?

Site costs alone would be somewhere approaching a million for something that size
    The point is valid and it shows that the money they spent isn’t outrageous and quite within the realm if many people.

Here what you can get for the price if an 2 up 2 down ex council house in finglas

Property: Halcyon, Curraheen, Conna, Fermoy, Cork http://myhome.ie/3974934

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ted1 wrote: »
    The point is valid and it shows that the money they spent isn’t outrageous and quite within the realm if many people.

Here what you can get for the price if an 2 up 2 down ex council house in finglas

Property: Halcyon, Curraheen, Conna, Fermoy, Cork http://myhome.ie/3974934

Jessica Flethers(Angela Lansbury) house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

That's creepy looking.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For all the trying to avoid the place looking like a commercial spa, that's exactly what they ended up with. They seemed happy however, and as its their cash, thats all that matters. Susie was a creepy individual though.

Bannon's designs are so predictable at this stage, so stark, cold and voidy and the kitchens always looks like a pathology lab. To paraphrase Henry Ford, 'you can have any design you like, so long as its Bauhaus'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's creepy looking.

Originally built by a mad monk with a fear of the drink... you'd expect creepy! Still looks warmer and more welcoming than tonight's build imo

Though as been said, they wanted a specific thing and got it... so good luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Was yer wan doubling in size as the programme progressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

jooksavage wrote: »
    For a professional architect, he seems to have an alarming disregard for the opinions and finances of his clients.

Sounds like a lot of architects to be honest :D

Was yer wan doubling in size as the programme progressed?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Given that they said the whole build took nearly a year was this the episode from last year that didn't air as the house wasn't ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

matrim wrote: »
    Given that they said the whole build took nearly a year was this the episode from last year that didn't air as the house wasn't ready?

I was thinking the same. Took almost a year in itself between design and getting planning, plus it was a long build, and then a 6 week delay with the windows (which might not have stopped the build for 6 weeks but definitely would have delayed a lot of the internal work), I'd guess this one was originally supposed to be in last series too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think the more money involved in these builds the more vitriolic the comments are in here. I thought it was a nice build and the couple were fairly normal. The wife was just having a bit of craic and loved winding up Dermot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Smell of jealousy in this thread is very strong.

I love that this couple wanted to stay in Fermoy. They could have built or bought somewhere else but wanted to stay in their hometown.

So what if they'd a holiday home in Cork as well? At least they're spending the money they have in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

pilly wrote: »

I love that this couple wanted to stay in Fermoy. They could have built or bought somewhere else but wanted to stay in their hometown.

So what if they'd a holiday home in Cork as well? At least they're spending the money they have in the country.

Agree with that
    Being really really nosy here but they seemed fairly wealthy(good luck to them)
    Did it say what they did for a living? Missed the first couple of minutes.Me and my wife guessed they were lottery winners :)

Steve F wrote: »
    Agree with that
    Being really really nosy here but they seemed fairly wealthy(good luck to them)
    Did it say what they did for a living? Missed the first couple of minutes.Me and my wife guessed they were lottery winners :)

He had a business that he sold, water treatment or testing, fairly high tech, he must have made millions out of it. Fair play to them I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have no issues with the wealth, I don't overly mind the stuff I saw although I find Jacuzzis ugly and a huge Jacuzzi looks no better than smaller ones. I don't care about the cost. But I can't stand the type of vulgar, tacky behaviour that was on show. It was such a cringe and the same behaviour would be (for me) unwatchable if they were doing 20k project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He had a business that he sold, water treatment or testing, fairly high tech, he must have made millions out of it. Fair play to them I say.

Wasn't his families business not just his ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Yep.Fair play
    Even tho I missed that part about his business it was blatantly obvious that to a certain extent budget wasn't going to be a major problem.
    I did find the wife a little creepy at times tho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have no issues with the wealth, I don't overly mind the stuff I saw although I find Jacuzzis ugly and a huge Jacuzzi looks no better than smaller ones. I don't care about the cost. But I can't stand the type of vulgar, tacky behaviour that was on show. It was such a cringe and the same behaviour would be (for me) unwatchable if they were doing 20k project.

The only vulgarity was perhaps the jacuzzi interview.

That said I don’t get the “they worked hard for it” claim. He inherited a company that he sold. She married rich.

On the other hand spending money is good for the economy. That build buttered some parsnips in many Cork households. It’s better that for the local economy than smart investments in the YS or UK stock market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The only vulgarity was perhaps the jacuzzi interview.

That said I don’t get the “they worked hard for it” claim. He inherited a company that he sold. She married rich.

On the other hand spending money is good for the economy. That build buttered some parsnips in many Cork households. It’s better that for the local economy than smart investments in the YS or UK stock market.
    It might be personal taste but for me someone who gives a gift of Santa underwear to their architect and thinks it is funny is someone best to be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have said some negative comments about the wife but overall I wish them well and if you have the money you may as well get what you want. Husband seemed nice.

That wife though did seem to grate a bit though, would love to know what she's like off camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Glebee

These thread sometimes seem to focus more on the people involved more than the projects.

Glebee wrote: »
    These thread sometimes seem to focus more on the people involved more than the projects.

In fairness, so does the show. So much so that sometimes it's rammed down our throats, like when they filmed Dermot going into a local shop to buy some penny sweets and talk to yer wan behind the counter about the clients and what she thought of the building work going on. Or Dermot out hurling with the client etc. Even last week with Majella, travelling out to the island to Daniel's homeplace etc.

I agree some of the criticism about the clients is completely unwarranted, but the show always puts the clients as much front and centre as the actual project itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'd prefer a more technical programme, a more down to earth Irish version of Grand Designs. That said the last two episodes have not been ordinary builds.

The way the programme is created and edited the homeowners are given as much prominence as the build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So does the show .We saw no mention of energy savings or eco friendly materials or indeed really much of the build at all . We saw Dermot in the jaccuzzi and kids in the pool but very little of the building of it etc .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So does the show .We saw no mention of energy savings or eco friendly materials or indeed really much of the build at all . We saw Dermot in the jaccuzzi and kids in the pool but very little of the building of it etc .

And considering it was a €450k budget, initial design was €750k, reduced down to €650k... no sign or mention of the QS at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Was that a pool or jacuzzi. ? I thought they were getting a small pool with a swimming machine to swim against. ? Anyway, best of luck to them. they are at that time of life investing in the kids upbringing and doing this with the money is way better than leaving it in the bank.:rolleyes:

That said I don’t get the “they worked hard for it” claim. He inherited a company that he sold.

Plenty of people move into their families businesses. Most people benefit from their parents help anyway, just some more than others.

He also didn't just take the business and sell it from day one.

As for his wife, would you prefer if she just lived off a meagre allowance from the husband and lived in a run down one bed apartment, cause, you know, she didn't earn the money herself.

That said I don’t get the “they worked hard for it†claim. He inherited a company that he sold. She married rich.

I didn't hear anyone say the business was inherited. Even if it was it was a very high tech business so he obviously was a very intelligent man and travelled the world selling the product therefore adding value.

Well deserved riches in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarahsiddons

I have said some negative comments about the wife but overall I wish them well and if you have the money you may as well get what you want. Husband seemed nice.

That wife though did seem to grate a bit though, would love to know what she's like off camera.

Swing around that way on naked tuesday.😉😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement