Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sideswipe wrote: »
    Except she stuck to her guns and got what she wanted. i have worked in construction too, often see men talking down to women saying they don't understand, using words like 'whinge and cry' rather than listening to what the client wants regardless of gender.

i would agree with you in general but not here on that show. she clearly had no clue about how her dream would be built or what issues there were .
    all she cared about was the end result and screw everything else. its the tough **** i want it attude that is the problem.
    when the drainage pipe issue discusion happened she winged and cried to get what she wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Badger2009 wrote: »
    It is refreshing to see a 'fairly tight' budget and a relatively normal house. More realistic for normal people to identify with.

Much prefer seeing this type of project to last week's.
    Em the budget isn’t much different to last weeks

House was 435+ 180= 615K
    She also had a mortgage if 435 + whatever was left in the apartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Minister wrote: »
    Dermots comments to camera at the end appeared as if he wasn't overly enamoured with his Clint e.g. His use of the words "notions" and "aspirations" et.....

I think it was more meant house was styled as something it was clearly not. A small terraced house could never be a NY loft conversion, but it had some of it's features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ted1 wrote: »

House was 435+ 180= 615K

Yeah but last weeks budget didn't include the cost of buying the house too, so you're not comparing like for like. It was approx. 650k last week vs 180k this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

House was 435+ 180= 615K

So 615k for a 2 bed in clontarf....Wow

I'm sure it suits her requirements but you would think she would struggle to get that back or you think what you can buy for circa 600k without all the hassle she had

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

She really hadnt a clue and thats why Dermot had to make the decisions, if he didnt they would be talking and talking and building little designer walls so she could pick a colour till the Luas arrived in Clontarf. Its not actually Clontarf if its anyway near Kavanaghs pub, thats Marino or Fairview, I would consider Clontarf to start after you pass the turn for the Howth Road.

I hate yo be personal too but I had to turn the TV up because I couldnt hear her, I said to my son that she was talking without opening her mouth, it never dawned on me that she had botox, is that the end result of botox, must rethink getting it so.

She was way more than thirty too, probably mid to late forties.

The day bed was ridiculous, the only bodies on that would be the cats, it looked very uncomfortable to sit on and to get on, no back or head support at all, what was wrong with putting a sofa there.

The builders were glaring at her in silence, I wasnt surprised not to see them at the gala opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Except she stuck to her guns and got what she wanted. i have worked in construction too, often see men talking down to women saying they don't understand, using words like 'whinge and cry' rather than listening to what the client wants regardless of gender.

Did she get what she wanted though? I admit I may have missed what the actual resolution to the problem was. Did they just reduce the height of the step from the kitchen to the extension?

QS was good tonight , she’s v professional, it’s taken a while but I’m getting to like her now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Penn wrote: »

House was 435+ 180= 615K

Yeah but last weeks budget didn't include the cost of buying the house too, so you're not comparing like for like. It was approx. 650k last week vs 180k this week.
    You are only looking at the small picture, you simply can’t write off the price of the house.

As I stated before the house in Fermoy would have been significantly cheaper.
    Quite possible sub100k.

House was 435+ 180= 615K

The budget to sink into the house was more relatable. The bit that the programme is about, how much the house was bought for is irrelevant. It didn't bother me in previous episode but I can understand how it might be unrelatable. Anyway she had some design classics in there that could easily add up to a price of decent kitchen (if they are not knock offs). Her luxury items are a bit less in your face.

• Advertisement

435,000 is a lot to pay for the Malahide Road, Fairview end. You could see and hear the traffic thundering past, its quite a narrow road too.

Calling it Clontarf is totally misleading especially when constantly showing views of the seafront.

tretorn wrote: »
    She really hadnt a clue and thats why Dermot had to make the decisions, if he didnt they would be talking and talking and building little designer walls so she could pick a colour till the Luas arrived in Clontarf. Its not actually Clontarf if its anyway near Kavanaghs pub, thats Marino or Fairview, I would consider Clontarf to start after you pass the turn for the Howth Road.

I hate yo be personal too but I had to turn the TV up because I couldnt hear her, I said to my son that she was talking without opening her mouth, it never dawned on me that she had botox, is that the end result of botox, must rethink getting it so.

She was way more than thirty too, probably mid to late forties.

The day bed was ridiculous, the only bodies on that would be the cats, it looked very uncomfortable to sit on and to get on, no back or head support at all, what was wrong with putting a sofa there.

The builders were glaring at her in silence, I wasnt surprised not to see them at the gala opening.

This must be one of the nastiest posts in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

i would agree with you in general but not here on that show. she clearly had no clue about how her dream would be built or what issues there were .
    all she cared about was the end result and screw everything else. its the tough **** i want it attude that is the problem.
    when the drainage pipe issue discusion happened she winged and cried to get what she wanted.

Fair enough, but should there not be element of- 'I'm paying the money, this is what I want, get it done'.

I like a women who knows what she wants and sticks to her guns. Don't know why a lot of people, interestingly a lot of other women are threatened by it. Some of the hate for that girl on twitter is unreal, shocking stuff- this from a TV personality

https://twitter.com/sinead_ryan/status/970423013601619969

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Penn wrote: »
    Not always. Houses of that age in many cases have the drainage for the whole row of houses in the back garden, however sometimes you won't be able to determine the level or location of the drainage until you start digging up the garden, which isn't done during design.

If that's the case, then the risk of finding something that is going to add significant costs should be flagged up in advance and covered in contingency - basic project management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Serious amount of green eyed monsters out tonight.

Yes it's borderline clontarf, yes 625k is alot of money for a 2 bed.

But so what?! She worked for the money and is happy with her what is probably her forever home.

It suits her lifestyle. Is that what owning a home is about?! Isn't this what we all aspire to want? A home that suits the way we live our lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Dermot would usually be on twitter chatting about the programe but zilch tonight. No sign of him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Fair enough, but should there not be element of- 'I'm paying the money, this is what I want, get it done'.

I like a women who knows what she wants and sticks to her guns. Don't know why a lot of people, interestingly a lot of other women are threatened by it. Some of the hate for that girl on twitter is unreal, shocking stuff- this from a TV personality

Ehhh..on a genuine side note - who is Sinead Ryan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have no problem with that bolded part.
    what i have a problem with is , i want this, that wont work, i want it anyway, it cant work, but i said it earlier that i want it so im having it.

Borderline Clontarf is not Clontarf, why not just say Marino which is probably the correct address, its like saying Sallynoggin is Monkstown, its just ridiculous.

Some sort of a personal finance column writer. I think she is also on Hard Shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fair question, never heard of her either until I saw her tweet. To answer your question-

Sinead is the personal finance expert on Newstalk’s ‘Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates’ and RTE 1 Radio’s ‘Today with Sean O’Rourke’ show along with being in demand on programmes including ‘Claire Byrne Live’, ‘Primetime’, Matt Cooper’s ‘Last Word’ and TV3s Ireland AM. In 2016 Sinead co-presented RTE 1’s “My Money and Me”, a six-part television series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus nobody at the party...builder never even turned up.

According to her friend here there was issues afterwards with the work

No idea how to embed the facebook post-Satellite Ireland facebook page

"Firstly you guys have done so much wrong with the work you have carried out on this house . Christine has lost so much on this build an extra €70,000 and two sets of builders . No ownership of your obligations to this girl. So many problems for her. She has every reason to be upset you have made a mess of this for this girl. Just this week she was nearly killed her house full of carbon monoxide no pipes connected . Gas company investigating it as work do bad . You fecked it up for her and took two much money €70,000 extra it’s a sham."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thread was horribly nasty tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

jon1981 wrote: »
    Serious amount of green eyed monsters out tonight.

Yes it's borderline clontarf, yes 625k is alot of money for a 2 bed.

But so what?! She worked for the money and is happy with her what is probably her forever home.

It suits her lifestyle. Is that what owning a home is about?! Isn't this what we all aspire to want? A home that suits the way we live our lives?

Exactly. Would not have been my taste but fair play to her. Some of the comments here 'I can see why she is single' etc are just mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The producers of this show has made it into a semi reality show in the last few years and the public seem to love it and it's a roaring success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I am guessing this was the victorian terrace episode that was meant to finalise last season that there was some issues over? It seemed very rushed the build though so i'm not so sure :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I liked the overall layout of the house but the interior design isn’t to my taste. She likes it and that’s the main thing. Seems like mad money for a 2 bed to me but again I don’t have to live with it so once she’s happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have no idea why Dermot brings them to these mad houses for reference when they look nothing like their own houses. So here’s this house isn’t it lovely well you’re not getting it, type of thing. Like wha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I am guessing this was the victorian terrace episode that was meant to finalise last season that there was some issues over? It seemed very rushed the build though so i'm not so sure :confused:

I don't think it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't think it was!

Thanks. So curious to what that was all about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement