Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

i would agree with you in general but not here on that show. she clearly had no clue about how her dream would be built or what issues there were .
    all she cared about was the end result and screw everything else. its the tough **** i want it attude that is the problem.
    when the drainage pipe issue discusion happened she winged and cried to get what she wanted.

Ffs she is the client.

It looks like it was a fairly badly built place. I dint think she looked very happy at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

i have no problem with that bolded part.
    what i have a problem with is , i want this, that wont work, i want it anyway, it cant work, but i said it earlier that i want it so im having it.

And they made it work.
    She was told her underfloor heating could not be done. They didn't say it was difficult to do or expensive to do but that it couldn't be done.
    Yet it was done. So she was right to protest.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Thread was horribly nasty tonight.

Yeh.

Rodin wrote: »
    And they made it work.
    She was told her underfloor heating could not be done. They didn't say it was difficult to do or expensive to do but that it couldn't be done.
    Yet it was done. So she was right to protest.

It couldn’t be fine without a raised floor and a step, so she said “ok”. But Dermot didn’t want that. It looks like that happened.

Christ sake she didn’t get red bricks, or blue kitchens. In many ways she rolled over.

I wouldn’t hire Dermot.

tretorn wrote: »
    435,000 is a lot to pay for the Malahide Road, Fairview end. You could see and hear the traffic thundering past, its quite a narrow road too.

Calling it Clontarf is totally misleading especially when constantly showing views of the seafront.

If anybody called it clontarf it was the producers or writers. Not sure why that’s an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Borderline Clontarf is not Clontarf, why not just say Marino which is probably the correct address, its like saying Sallynoggin is Monkstown, its just ridiculous.

Because it would be wrong to say Marino.

Like it or not this house is officially in Clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

anna080 wrote: »
    I have no idea why Dermot brings them to these mad houses for reference when they look nothing like their own houses. So here’s this house isn’t it lovely well you’re not getting it, type of thing. Like wha

"I brought you here to look at the day bed, isn't it fab? Now you'll only be getting a single one because you don't have the space but don't you love it? Wasn't I right?"
    "Yeah I love it"

End of programme ".... and even though we lost the day bed, the space still works"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cnaipi

Borderline Clontarf is not Clontarf, why not just say Marino which is probably the correct address, its like saying Sallynoggin is Monkstown, its just ridiculous.

Except it is Clontarf. Malahide road is the boundry, her side is Clontarf, the other side is Marino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

How can it be Clontarf, surely its Fairview or Marino.

If its up from Kavanaghs pub then its on the Malahide Road, Marino.

The difference is in the price too, a house like she bought would cost an awful lot more in Clontarf.

I will have to watch again to see exactly where the house is, someone else posted that its quite near Kavanaghs pub and if so that isnt a great area, its on a very busy stretch of road and the road is very narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jeeeeeesus..... I've made it as far as the second ad break, and I'm not sure whom I'd kill first.

She's just plain delusional. She's like a toddler - "I want, I want - no, I neeeeeed"..... without the slightest nod to the budget that she's given them. And she's bought a bloody Victorian house - has she NO idea of the problems that can arise with those? Dermot has the patience of a saint.

On the other hand, that was a low down and dirty trick Dermot pulled with the bricks. It's quite clear what she was looking for in that wall, and that lurid monochrome red brick (not sure if that's the right phrase) was NOT it. he's clearly angling to make her get the greyish one - but why? He won't be looking at it?

I'm almost afraid to press play and watch the end of this one...... did someone say it's the one left over from the last series? What was the delay (or the main cause of the delay)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aww jeez - Scandi, loft apartment..... she's bought a bloody terraced house for God's sake :mad:

I'll say it again (and I don't say it lightly) - Dermot has the patience of a saint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anna080 wrote: »
    I have no idea why Dermot brings them to these mad houses for reference when they look nothing like their own houses. So here’s this house isn’t it lovely well you’re not getting it, type of thing. Like wha
    I also thought it was an advertisement ploy. The voice over dude always mentions the arcitect who designed those houses.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Wow, a lot of people calling others out for their views. I am on the side of those that are asking questions, and that's all they have done.

Can anyone tell me when room to improve turned in grand designs?
    It's bs money being spent, way beyond a normal family can afford. Isn't it gone from what we all loved?

Getting sick of this bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I also thought it was an advertisement ploy. The voice over dude always mentions the arcitect who designed those houses.

I don't think it's necessarily advertising, they try to reference some examples of good architecture. And they have to name the architect so it's not implied it was Dermott's design. Btw I also think she would get away with red bricks and similar if Dermott wasn't afraid his design vision broadcasted on tv would be affected by client's meddling. It's hard to be good architect and make good tv. :D

Would you perfer to see a carpet and couch change in a 3 bed semi d?

I'd rather see a realistic look at an upgrade to a house..... Don't be a....

Very condescending remark by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Imho....As a(n IT) manager by profession she came across really bad...

No concept of budget, realistic costing, contingencies, ...

The fact she thought her part of the budget overrun was 6k when in fact it was 14k... shocking! That <5% vs 10% of the budget

She had been designing her next home for about 10yrs without taking into account the actual building it would sit in.

The kitchen island is the prime example of that... she had envisaged herself at a kitchen island cooking for years and just coudnt grasp the fact IT WOULD NOT FIT in the space she had .. she still pushed ahead and got her canteen-trolley-roll-out-island though... it looked tacky.

Her own budgetting was called into question from the start... 2k for levelling the front and putting hard core down and sticking up electric gates... on what planet?

It's a TV show, I don't think someone doing up their kitchen and a bathroom will fill an hour slot.

I think "New House DIY" is more up your alley, it's on Sky 539 at the moment.
    Wow, have you watched this show for the last few years? Why are you so hurt by my posts??

I loved this show when they were about the build an costs, but you seem to have a problem with the
    Posts of someone that does not agree with you?

Relax and give it up!

Cray cray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

It is Clontarf, call it what you want but the address is Clontarf. The same way Copeland Ave and Charlemont Road are Clontarf addresses. I know my mother lived around the corner.

She seemed to me to be an attractive woman with impeccable taste in clothes and interiors. I’d say the pressure was mounting in that scene about the cost overruns, on bridging finance, build delayed, hundreds of things going on and a camera stuck in your face. I know how I’d come across.

Dermot took the piss, should have known about the issue with the pipe in the back garden, one of the first things to consider. Changing spec without consulting clients wtf.

Some really bitchy comments on here & no I don’t know her.

• Advertisement

You're the only one who needs to relax, turn it off its

2 posts about me. Thanks, relax? Lol. I don't even know what this post is about. The other one. Yes, a lot if hurt from you why? I haven't a clue. No wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The 19th century is calling you I think..

The expression OH existed in the 19th Century????? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i would agree with you in general but not here on that show. she clearly had no clue about how her dream would be built or what issues there were .
    all she cared about was the end result and screw everything else. its the tough **** i want it attude that is the problem.
    when the drainage pipe issue discusion happened she winged and cried to get what she wanted.

Ffs she is the client.

It looks like it was a fairly badly built place. I dint think she looked very happy at the end.
    I thought so too, when they fitted the windows so could see that they used a lot of expanding foam to fill gaps. So you spent a fortune on expensive windows to get a high energy rating yet they use expanding foam beside it which has no energy rating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Imho....As a(n IT) manager by profession she came across really bad...

No concept of budget, realistic costing, contingencies, ...

The fact she thought her part of the budget overrun was 6k when in fact it was 14k... shocking! That <5% vs 10% of the budget

She had been designing her next home for about 10yrs without taking into account the actual building it would sit in.

The kitchen island is the prime example of that... she had envisaged herself at a kitchen island cooking for years and just coudnt grasp the fact IT WOULD NOT FIT in the space she had .. she still pushed ahead and got her canteen-trolley-roll-out-island though... it looked tacky.

Her own budgetting was called into question from the start... 2k for levelling the front and putting hard core down and sticking up electric gates... on what planet?

I have to say this was my take too.
    I know her 25 page brief was a wishlist, but a child could have seen that with these expensive bits it was unrealistic on her budget.
    She was so emotionally invested in her end dream and talk about the colours that she didn't seem to be able to see the amount of work the original structure was going to need before any talk of the extension. The roll-away trolley they all stood around, that she wanted to call a butcher's block, looked silly to my eye.

At one stage we here were asking how she could be an IT manager with her ditziness and poor budgeting skills. The whole moaning "I wanted It, why couldn't I have had it" approach, for example with the hand-carved sash windows, when her budget of 140k clearly wasn't going to cover it was frustrating and eye-rolling. She had obviously not priced around, even informally, or researched renovation prices in Dublin before starting the project and approaching Dermot Bannon. Her lack of any type of contingency was a disaster decision. Although she ended up finding it so I suppose it was ok.

And I say this as a woman who has been talked down to by an archaic "builder" in the past, who was sent out by a developer to fix big problems left after finishing a build which left our first home under scaffold for 3 or 4 weeks. He did his best to ignore and not take me seriously because I was female. It was maddening in the extreme, and I knew I was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

CZ 453 wrote: »
    According to her friend here there was issues afterwards with the work

No idea how to embed the facebook post-Satellite Ireland facebook page

"Firstly you guys have done so much wrong with the work you have carried out on this house . Christine has lost so much on this build an extra €70,000 and two sets of builders . No ownership of your obligations to this girl. So many problems for her. She has every reason to be upset you have made a mess of this for this girl. Just this week she was nearly killed her house full of carbon monoxide no pipes connected . Gas company investigating it as work do bad . You fecked it up for her and took two much money €70,000 extra it’s a sham."

Who is the 'you guys' in that post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

mfceiling wrote:
    I work in construction and this one is maddening me...a lot of things can NOT be done and must be sacrificed no matter how much you whinge and cry.

Except it was done. They got the underfloor heating in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

deco nate wrote: »
    Wow, a lot of people calling others out for their views. I am on the side of those that are asking questions, and that's all they have done.

Can anyone tell me when room to improve turned in grand designs?
    It's bs money being spent, way beyond a normal family can afford. Isn't it gone from what we all loved?

Getting sick of this bull****

I actually remember reading online saying the program would be better if they had a bigger budget in the past!
    Just shows you can't keep everybody happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I don't think it was!

It was,100% certain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement