Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

they were terrible. bad move from dermot
    I cannot believe he actually had the audacity to pull that stunt with a straight face. I'd have clocked him with one of them!

They were the cheapest nastiest brick I've ever seen. It was an insult to her and her taste to pretend that's what she wanted. They were NOTHING like what she'd asked for.

If he had a legit argument for the white bricks, let him make it. But to slot those bricks into the mix was just stupid. And insulting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Penn wrote: »
    The issue with Dermot isn't that he's arrogant etc, it's that a) he's putting his name and reputation to the finished product which means rather than simply acquiesce to the clients as often as an architect likely would in normal practice, since it's on TV and going to be showcased as an example of his design, he needs it to be as good as possible, and b) since it's a TV show he needs to have something different or unusual in each episode, hence why he has to push so hard for things like exposed concrete walls etc.

If Bannon is at the top of the architectural profession, God help us.

He imposes his own view on his clients. It is all about him.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I cannot believe he actually had the audacity to pull that stunt with a straight face. I'd have clocked him with one of them!

They were the cheapest nastiest brick I've ever seen. It was an insult to her and her taste to pretend that's what she wanted. They were NOTHING like what she'd asked for.

If he had a legit argument for the white bricks, let him make it. But to slot those bricks into the mix was just stupid. And insulting.
    And... (just occurred to me).... think/hope she wouldn't notice? :confused:

I wouldn't be her biggest fan, if I'm honest - but how stupid did he actually think she was?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

Has it happened a few times where orders were made and the client not informed of changes to said order. What would happen if client said no way I'm not paying. It would may you wonder if there is a clause in contract concerning such matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

James 007 wrote: »
    Yes you are right, in reality an engineer should be involved in a renovation to pick up all these things including the woodworm etc. but a clever architect will not want all these things covered in his architectural project costs and his contingency. Bannon well knows that the drainage would be an issue, but of course he does not want to derail his project, anything hidden will remain hidden, this is how he works to maximise his architectural spend.

No decent project manager thinks this way. If there is a problem, it is to every one's benefit to get the problem on the table as early as possible.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    This was the delayed project from last season. (confirmed)
    Confirmed by who/when/where/how?

Nevermind - found it; https://twitter.com/COCOtv/status/838518430152155137

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Addle wrote:
    I don't know about the current QS, but there was something about the previous' fee on an early episode, in that it had to be paid.

Didnt the homeowner decide not to use a qs in a previous episode to save some money and manage the project themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aravo wrote: »
    Has it happened a few times where orders were made and the client not informed of changes to said order. What would happen if client said no way I'm not paying. It would may you wonder if there is a clause in contract concerning such matters.

I remember one last series where they wanted green cladding on their roof, and Dermot changed it to red without telling them. They were adamant they didn't want the red. The red cladding stayed and it wasn't mentioned again.

I think there likely is some part of the contract with the production company which allows Dermot to do things like that within reason, even though he'll mostly try to compromise with the clients. You wouldn't be able to do that in normal practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Penn wrote: »
    I remember one last series where they wanted green cladding on their roof, and Dermot changed it to red without telling them. They were adamant they didn't want the red. The red cladding stayed and it wasn't mentioned again.

I think there likely is some part of the contract with the production company which allows Dermot to do things like that within reason, even though he'll mostly try to compromise with the clients. You wouldn't be able to do that in normal practice.

I think that was the same episode where he went on about this stupid knee-high window.

That's what I don't understand though. He is a real architect with a real company, the way this translates is that he uses this practice. It does shed a bad light on his company and professionalism.
    Would you hire someone that's publicly known for ordering whatever the f he wants instead of what you, the client, wishes? I certainly wouldn't.

LirW wrote: »
    I think that was the same episode where he went on about this stupid knee-high window.

That's what I don't understand though. He is a real architect with a real company, the way this translates is that he uses this practice. It does shed a bad light on his company and professionalism.
    Would you hire someone that's publicly known for ordering whatever the f he wants instead of what you, the client, wishes? I certainly wouldn't.
    The other monumental cock-up that sticks in my mind was the big window with stairs built in front of it (in a semi-d, not last weeks show!).

Somehow he had completely overlooked the fact that they would block each other. And with the same straight face that he used with the red bricks, insisted to the homeowners (who would have to look at this for the rest of their days) that this was a good thing.

He has some brass neck, sometimes.

ETA - it was this one. http://www.dailyedge.ie/room-to-improve-5-1994410-Mar2015/ It's even worse than I remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The other monumental cock-up that sticks in my mind was the big window with stairs built in front of it (in a semi-d, not last weeks show!).

Somehow he had completely overlooked the fact that they would block each other. And with the same straight face that he used with the red bricks, insisted to the homeowners (who would have to look at this for the rest of their days) that this was a good thing.

ETA - it was this one. http://www.dailyedge.ie/room-to-improve-5-1994410-Mar2015/ It's even worse than I remember!

is that the one where there was 4 2 above the stiars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,748 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did I read somewhere today that, DB was throwing a strop, in the next episode.

Are we getting into desperation hyping now? got it.
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/dermot-bannon-temper-tantrum-618681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Water John wrote: »

Looks so fake I'm a bit embarrassed for him.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/room-to-improve-extras-30004535/10848350/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He was only messing

Joe.ie really is the dregs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

naughtb4 wrote: »

Joe.ie really is the dregs

Whole other thread but yes it's scraping the barrel. I've no idea why people go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was in the park in Fermoy yesterday, Susie and Dave from two weeks ago have removed all the trees from the front garden. So instead of just seeing a glimpse of the house, you can now see right up to it, clear as day. So after all her fussing about privacy, the whole of Fermoy can now see in to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

ncmc wrote: »
    I was in the park in Fermoy yesterday, Susie and Dave from two weeks ago have removed all the trees from the front garden. So instead of just seeing a glimpse of the house, you can now see right up to it, clear as day. So after all her fussing about privacy, the whole of Fermoy can now see in to them!

Blocking out light?

Reati wrote: »
    Blocking out light?

No, their garden is on a very steep slope, so the house would be above the trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yes I can see it from the road when I head out the N72. Hopefully she's not doing nudie tuesdays....:D:D:D.

Fab house, though, good luck to them.

It is a fab house, lovely location. My BIL knows the builder and he says it cost north of 1 million. Maybe that’s why they didn’t give a final figure! I also heard he sold he business for 20 million! Now small town rumours tend to gain legs, but still, it doesn’t sound like he’s down to his last few bob despite the over spend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has a business popped up at that address yet? :D

I always got the impression that the "Spa" area of that house was very over-engineered for a family home, and that they were keen to downplay any potential commercial use for the space.

But applying for planning permission to build a commercial premises onto a residential property is much harder than building it first and applying for a change of use later on... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seamus wrote: »

I always got the impression that the "Spa" area of that house was very over-engineered for a family home, and that they were keen to downplay any potential commercial use for the space.

But applying for planning permission to build a commercial premises onto a residential property is much harder than building it first and applying for a change of use later on... ;)

The only flaw in that argument is that €1 million is a lot of money to spend for a waxing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That was my last time on this thread, our friends are best friends with that couple. Must find out how that whole situation ended up.

Another episode where the builder didn't make it to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Have decided not to bother with Room to Improve anymore.
    It's lost its magic for me.
    Dermot wrecks my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,748 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I generally like supporting RTE. But there not one, but three guys who sort of do the head wrecking for me. Diarmuid Gavin, Duncan Stewart and Dermot Bannon.

Addle wrote: »
    Have decided not to bother with Room to Improve anymore.
    It's lost its magic for me.
    Dermot wrecks my head.
    I'm reaching that point.

It's turning into a bad soap opera, or something like the Jeremy Kyle show - controversy for controversy's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

No decent project manager thinks this way. If there is a problem, it is to every one's benefit to get the problem on the table as early as possible.

Your right and this is the point I am making to you. DB may be a PM but he is mainly an architect too. There have been several programmes where drainage has been an issue, where roof rafters suffered from either dry/wet rot, where a chimney breast was in the vicinity of an ope, I think there has also been steel frame issues. There have been a history of structural issues in several programmes. Some have been non-structural issues, for example the electrical rewiring that was required to the house in Drogheda, the famous exposed concrete wall episode. DB has been in practice for quite a while now, he is well aware that these concerns may arise and should have them investigated upfront but they will come at a cost to the client. He seems to prey on the Clients lack of experience here to use it to benefit the programme viewership. Sure if everything was plain sailing, it would be too boring to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I generally like supporting RTE. But there not one, but three guys who sort of do the head wrecking for me. Diarmuid Gavin, Duncan Stewart and Dermot Bannon.

My darling much missed deceased MIL just adored all 3 in particular Stewart who she gushed over like other women of her age gushed over Tom Jones.
    Couldn’t get enough of him.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

seamus wrote: »

If your on about the one in Fermoy! Noting at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,403 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wouldn't they need Council permission to remove trees?
    James 007 wrote: »
    Your right and this is the point I am making to you. DB may be a PM but he is mainly an architect too. There have been several programmes where drainage has been an issue, where roof rafters suffered from either dry/wet rot, where a chimney breast was in the vicinity of an ope, I think there has also been steel frame issues. There have been a history of structural issues in several programmes. Some have been non-structural issues, for example the electrical rewiring that was required to the house in Drogheda, the famous exposed concrete wall episode. DB has been in practice for quite a while now, he is well aware that these concerns may arise and should have them investigated upfront but they will come at a cost to the client. He seems to prey on the Clients lack of experience here to use it to benefit the programme viewership. Sure if everything was plain sailing, it would be too boring to watch.

You may well be right, but don't architects have some kind of 'Hippocratic Oath' equivalent or professional code that would require them to NOT screw things up for their clients like this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement