Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The steps up to the sitting area surely are gonna be an issue for ma in the near future. Bit of a stupid design idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Happy4all wrote: »
    Ma's love child?

Id say the unseen father was American ambassador to the UK at one stage. R Thorn esq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

James 007 wrote: »
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Looking at this house, just reinforces my opinion that they should've renovated the old stone shed and incorportated into the design.
    I taught the exact same, but the would prevent the view for the old part of the house, plus its so far away from the old house to connect the two. The stone work to that shed looks lovely
    It was a decent size site, I would hdvr thought they mcould get have levelled the house and build from scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The steps up to the sitting area surely are gonna be an issue for ma in the near future. Bit of a stupid design idea
    There’s a second living room she can use on ground level

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I am actually surprised that DB didnt pick up on the shed and its old structure. My only thinking on this is that the shed is owned by the brother, I need to rewatch the drone views again to see the extent of their site area. The steps leading up to what is the only view in the house will kill the Ma altogether, its ridiculous. Had they extended onto the shed they would of had several views from different rooms without raising a foot to another level. Hope I am wrong and that something prevented them from taking this approach to the design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Autosport wrote: »
    I hope we see more of Darragh in the future ;)
    Not mad about his jacket...but I’ve no sense of fashion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

...and what was all that ****e on Joe.ie about Dermot throwing a tantrum???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

James 007 wrote: »
    I am actually surprised that DB didnt pick up on the shed and its old structure. My only thinking on this is that the shed is owned by the brother, I need to rewatch the drone views again to see the extent of their site area. The steps leading up to what is the only view in the house will kill the Ma altogether, its ridiculous. Had they extended onto the shed they would of had several views from different rooms without raising a foot to another level. Hope I am wrong and that something prevented them from taking this approach to the design.

I had my eye on the shed as a lovely granny flat for Ma . She needed more space than the pokey bedroom she got .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

Much better episode than the last 2. Fabulous site and gorgeous finish but I think poor old Ma drew the short straw.
    Her bedroom was tiny, no ensuite and I'd have loved to have seen a lovely comfy chair in her room with a little table for her radio. She has nowhere to go for a bit of peace and quiet. That bedroom is not future proofed for her. God forbid she might need a walking frame or wheelchair. There's no way it will fit into her room.
    I hope they put her old kitchen on Adverts, those blue cupboard doors could look fab in a retro kitchen.
    All in all, glad to see RTI back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thought it looked a bit ugly on the outside. The colour of the original cottage didnt really work against the colours of the extension. The old and new just lookeda bit out of place.

Then again, it may have been difficult to capture it on camera due to the layout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

All the bedrooms were in the original cottage I think, assume Ma's bedroom is her original bedroom spruced up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    ...and what was all that ****e on Joe.ie about Dermot throwing a tantrum???

Cos he said "over my dead body", at one point, for effect.

Now you know to steer clear of click bait shams like joe.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

How do you get 40k grant? What do you have to do? Currently renovating and can’t see anything on SEAI that would give me close to it 🤔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well I just watched a recording of this and then this thread. Given how much fun the build was the bitterness on this thread is fairly off.

Anyway the house was built by their grandfather - hence the brief was to extend it, not the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What bitterness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What bitterness

Whining about their accents, the grant, accusations of elder abuse and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hadn't planned on watching tonight's episode but turned it on after 10 or so mins.

It reminded me of why this show is still on after so many years, it was just a very lovely show.

It wasn't a house they were building, it was a home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whining about their accents, the grant, accusations of elder abuse and so on.

I hope those who needed to find out about the young lad have survived. Ffs, there's no reason why they should explain and plenty of potential reasons why they wouldn't want to.

I wasn't overly impressed with the end product. Yes, he incorporated a stunning view and there was nice elements but I don't think they gained good value from their budget. I think he just left them with a "bigger small house". And not a pretty one at that.

Loved the show though. Great family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Anna said at the start of the show that she'd a 7 year old son Michael.
    No big secret or mystery.
    Ma was a jovial and entertaining lady and both her daughters seemed genuinely happy people.

Pity about the steps inside, made zero sense considering the clients' needs.

The daughters specified at the beginning, that they were moving in to help care for their mother, as she'd had health issues the previous few years.

Dermot isn't the only person who needs to pay attention to what's being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Lovely episode.

I thought the roof of the old house could have used new roof tiles. It made the old house stick out way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    How do you get 40k grant? What do you have to do? Currently renovating and can’t see anything on SEAI that would give me close to it 🀔

I also want to know. Anyone knows? The amounts I get from the website, arquitec and builder are nowhere near that savings they made in 300k.

Galego wrote: »
    I also want to know. Anyone knows? The amounts I get from the website, arquitec and builder are nowhere near that savings they made in 300k.

Is has something to do with getting the energy rating up to an A3 which is the highest rating & v difficult to achieve.

Only 3% of houses in Ireland are A3 .

Ring or email SEAI .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

For me RTI is just getting too boring.

This show was more about the family then the build - with a trip to Kerry thrown in. in an hour long show we had a few minutes about budget overrun and the girls swinging a hammer themselves etc but very little about the build itself.

While the story was heartwarming that’s not the point of RTI. They’ve just lost of perception since increasing the show from 30 to 60 mins and spend too much time on telling the family story or having Dermot soak in a bath.

I was also extremely unimpressed with the finish today which cost so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    How do you get 40k grant? What do you have to do? Currently renovating and can’t see anything on SEAI that would give me close to it 🀔

I had a look on the website. It's a new pilot programme.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/deep-retrofit-programme/

It's not a €40k grant but 50% of the cost of the energy efficiency works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cos he said "over my dead body", at one point, for effect.

Now you know to steer clear of click bait shams like joe.ie
    In my defence, I've never visited that site in my life! It was flagged up here.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How on earth was the colonnade going to cost €8,000+!? It looked from the drawings to just be a few brick columns connected by concrete beams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How on earth was the colonnade going to cost €8,000+!? It looked from the drawings to just be a few brick columns connected by concrete beams.

It'd look nicer done in a nice black timber like the extension anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Does anyone know if RTE (or anyone else) publishes a schedule of forthcoming episodes? I'm not a regular viewer but would like to watch episodes which renovate houses similar my own i.e. a 1970's 3 bed semi D.

I looked on the RTE website and did a general Google search but whilst there's a list of projects for the current series summarised here I can't see a schedule stating when each project will be aired or what the running order of the series is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I didn’t like the finish of the house last night. I thought it looked like a total mish mash of styles. I’ve seen him integrate modern extensions to old buildings more seamlessly in previous builds, I think it was the colour of the old house, even if he had painted it white, it would have been more successful. I think with the money he spent and the amazing location, he could have done a much better job. Joining the house to the shed and creating one of his beloved courtyards inbetween would have created the views they wanted without those ridiculously steep steps (just awful for a woman of Ma’s age) It would have also have been possible then to give Ma a bit of space of her own and a bit of privacy. My heart sank when I saw her bedroom, sure she couldn’t even get round the bed to draw her curtains. It was a shoe box. The 7 year old had a far bigger bedroom 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,148 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Independent pad foundation for each column
    Labour/Machinery to get the columns/beams in place
    Structural design & certification for the columns/beams
    Fabrication/Construction of the columns/beams themselves
    Works to walls already constructed which the beams would be tying into (since it was an add-on)
    Finishing/rendering works

It can add up fairly quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement