Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cathy427

Oh, and I could care less about the parentage of the kid. In fairness it was explained who he was at the start - it was classic people busy tweeting and "boardsing" about the show and thus missing key points of the show!!! I don't mean that to be as grumpy as it sounds but you get the point - the modern thing of being so busy trying to record/video the event that people miss the event.

If the brother was amenable they could have built a fab new house up higher (in corner of current caravan park and blocked off park from house as with current set up) with easy achievable and fabulous views and in return made the existing house area part of caravan park so he has same amount of ground albeit not as good views. (I know the difficulty was ma wanted to keep old bungalow and they didn't want her living alone anymore so keeping existing and building new wasn't an option - just in an ideal world)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If the state has resources to spend on residential energy improvements, surely it should target its resources at those who have least resources themselves? Otherwise, it's just another rich-get-richer and poor-get-poorer scheme.
    If you look into the scheme on the seai site, it appears to be 50% for groups representing 5 or more houses or 95% for Housing Associations or those "in energy poverty" (based on the Warmer Homes Scheme). As the granny would be the legal home-owner, assuming she gets the Fuel Allowance along with her pension, she'd have qualified under this as like most means tests or taxation laws in this country, it's based on income, rather than wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That misses the point. Yes, we have problems with residential emissions, but why would the State target its scarce resources to help those who have most resources themselves? They are the ones who will benefit from the reduced bills, so why should the state subsidise this? If the state has resources to spend on residential energy improvements, surely it should target its resources at those who have least resources themselves? Otherwise, it's just another rich-get-richer and poor-get-poorer

The Warmer Homes Scheme, mentioned above, is there for those with the least resources, no?

There doesn't have to be one grant scheme for all. There are different programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I missed the start of it, was it Dermot's own family home with his mother being on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sleepy wrote: »
    The hoardings only came down about a fortnight ago. We'd been watching progress on this for a while as we've always loved the location of the house and pass it regularly.

Wow. This series is cutting it tight. Fair play to the production team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cathy427

liam7831 wrote: »
    I missed the start of it, was it Dermot's own family home with his mother being on it ?

Yes, ya, it was indeed. Thats it.
    -->
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/room-to-improve-839/10849930/?ap=1

At the start of the episode the voice-over chap says 'Anna's son Michael'.

:D
    cathy427 wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

At the start of the episode the voice-over chap says 'Anna's son Michael'.

For me I was expecting a teenager or early 20s chap. And then this little teeny 6 year old appears.

So I know he is the son of one of them. it's the age of the little boy versus mammy that threw me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

amdublin wrote: »
    For me I was expecting a teenager or early 20s chap. And then this little teeny 6 year old appears.

So I know he is the son of one of them. it's the age of the little boy versus mammy that threw me.
    I am guessing as my mum said he was "a wee late one"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

gmisk wrote: »
    I am guessing as my mum said he was "a wee late one"

I’m gonna go one further and say IVF/sperm doner! Poor Anna, private life raked over the coals on the Internet! Yet another reason why I would never go on RTI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cathy427 wrote: »
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Just rewatched it..

The brief was get us a seaview...

Not sure how people were expecting him to get the views they wanted without raising a floor somewhere...

The must have been very set on keeping the origional structures ( the cottage due to their dad restoring it, the stone wall / coal hut because it seperates them from the caravan park?) because the end product looked awful from the outside...
    The roof height of the entire place should have matched the cottage imo...

Exacto - The sheds were the boundary from the caravan park and integrating them would also have made the clients part of the caravan park. (The park does take up almost the entire headland - valuable piece of land!!)

Grand episode but I think I am done. Yet again
    - Dermot puts two ugly square boxes onto a bungalow (ok its often just one ugly box)
    - Dermot goes way over budget.

Owning the site I would have thought a €250k budget was a decent budget (I assume with the budget was always really €300k but that would have made a boring show.)
    As other posters have said in an hour long show it would have been nice to hear more about the grants that an guy generating smoke and testing with phone! (Ok phone is fine for testing cause if airtight then no oxygen for fire/smoke) But a few minutes on bringing an old house up to modern A3 standards would have been interesting.
    Thats not in the shows brief. You should watch eco eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    They paid more money thsn 40k in taxes for the build.

Believe me it didn’t cost the tax payers anything.

Except that it did - it cost the taxpayers the €43k paid in the grant - that's real cash out the door, gone into someone's bank account.
    Residential emissions north of 25% of total carbon emissions.

You'll be paying the fines for missing the targets as well.

But yeah, that's the spirit, Ted.

That misses the point. Yes, we have problems with residential emissions, but why would the State target its scarce resources to help those who have most resources themselves? They are the ones who will benefit from the reduced bills, so why should the state subsidise this? If the state has resources to spend on residential energy improvements, surely it should target its resources at those who have least resources themselves? Otherwise, it's just another rich-get-richer and poor-get-poorer scheme.
    The steps up to the sitting area surely are gonna be an issue for ma in the near future. Bit of a stupid design idea

It's particularly disappointing, given that Dermot is involved in this multi-generational design project
    http://architectureireland.ie/the-abhaile-project
    The steps are a big problem, no consideration that she might need a bathroom with a chair, or maybe even a hoist - no future proofing at all really.
    Thst real cash went out the door that it cane in a few seconds earlier, so no it didn’t cost the taxpayer anything.

As stated before there’s a second living room so she doesn’t need to access that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Opportunity for Dermot fans to meet the star of the show...
    http://boimedia.customerminds.com/lp/e/1833/3d409546fe09099e923d4aa6cc7e8eeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Addle wrote: »
    Opportunity for Dermot fans to meet the star of the show...
    http://boimedia.customerminds.com/lp/e/1833/3d409546fe09099e923d4aa6cc7e8eeb

What kind of a Muppet would want to go to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was at some RDS event last year where he was special guest and giving autographs. The queues were unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I wonder if the architects' profession have any rules about self-promotion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

nuac wrote: »
    I wonder if the architects' profession have any rules about self-promotion?

What's the difference between self promotion and advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Sleepy wrote: »
    I live quite near this one and have envied the site since we bought out here. I'm pretty certain my daughter built some sandcastles on the beach there with the little lad last summer.

I'm assuming the old shed (which looks like the original house they showed in a photo at the start) would simply have cost too much to incorporate into plans involving knocking the cottage and extending the shed. The potential for problems in a building that old alone could have swallowed the entire budget. It's a shame but without half a million available for the project, I think it would have been insane to even try.

That said, I'd wonder if the granny put the foot down about bulldozing the cottage she and her husband had built and insisted on extending, rather than replacing it? I'd have thought their €250k would have been sufficient to knock the cottage and simply build something much nicer than the end result. Surely with the existing services and foundations that could have gotten them something around the 150sqm level?

I lived in nearby Donabate for 20 years and knew the legend that is Mary Linders quite well. She's a remarkable woman!

This link is to an article about her written a decade ago by her next door neighbour, Terry Prone!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/terry-prone/every-neighbourhood-should-have-a-woman-just-like-mrs-linders-68953.html

Hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Every week this place fills with nasty comments about the people who appear on this show..... "bossy" women get the worst abuse. It makes me really uncomfortable knowing they've likely read through this thread. Remember its a small country we live in. If you wouldn't say it to their face then don't say it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Every week this place fills with nasty comments about the people who appear on this show..... "bossy" women get the worst abuse. It makes me really uncomfortable knowing they've likely read through this thread. Remember its a small country we live in. If you wouldn't say it to their face then don't say it here.

I agree. The comments get very nasty about the property owners. The comments about the woman last week and the couple (especially the wife) who built the pool and treatment room were especially bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Zhane wrote:
    I agree. The comments get very nasty about the property owners. The comments about the woman last week and the couple (especially the wife) who built the pool and treatment room were especially bad.

It's nothing but jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

pilly wrote: »
    It's nothing but jealousy.

Absolutely. They can dress it up anyway they want but thats what it boils down to. By all means criticise the house and furnishing, but comments about the people are very clearly sour grapes. These people have saved or have the means to build their dream home, and have every right to do so however they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Zhane wrote: »

Even in conversation with work colleagues, the comments about the girl in Clontarf were very catty. At the end of the day it's mostly about the house, not her personal appearance. Her clashing with Dermot added to the entertainment value of the programme which is needed as well to spice it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Zhane wrote: »
    Absolutely. They can dress it up anyway they want but thats what it boils down to. By all means criticise the house and furnishing, but comments about the people are very clearly sour grapes. These people have saved or have the means to build their dream home, and have every right to do so however they see fit.

I actually think commenting on the build is fine , I thought the house in Donabate could have been far nicer and Ma's room too small .Its an opinion on the build but at the end of the day I dont live in it they do . My needs might not be theirs after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Even in conversation with work colleagues, the comments about the girl in Clontarf were very catty. At the end of the day it's mostly about the house, not her personal appearance. Her clashing with Dermot added to the entertainment value of the programme which is needed as well to spice it up.
    While I'm not excusing people's behaviour and comments, the show itself isn't really helping either - it seems to more and more make it about the "characters" rather than the actual build, renovation, fit out etc. I felt last Sunday's episode in particular felt rushed at the end and didn't show anything of it being fitted out. The two shows in the preceding fortnight really did focus more on the people and what they were doing rather than the property itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This thread has a gremlin ! The last post doesn't show for me until someone else posts ! So always one post pending !

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    While I'm not excusing people's behaviour and comments, the show itself isn't really helping either - it seems to more and more make it about the "characters" rather than the actual build, renovation, fit out etc. I felt last Sunday's episode in particular felt rushed at the end and didn't show anything of it being fitted out. The two shows in the preceding fortnight really did focus more on the people and what they were doing rather than the property itself.

There are already plenty of programmes out there though that focus on just the building.

The fact that this show goes into the families wants and needs makes it more interesting.

Yeah, I agree it goes a bit far though at times, the whole sitting in the hot-tub thing was bizarre.

In saying that I enjoyed Sunday's show all the more for Ma's character so it's a fine line I suppose, they should be trying to balance it out more.

Turnipman wrote: »
    I lived in nearby Donabate for 20 years and knew the legend that is Mary Linders quite well. She's a remarkable woman!

This link is to an article about her written a decade ago by her next door neighbour, Terry Prone!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/terry-prone/every-neighbourhood-should-have-a-woman-just-like-mrs-linders-68953.html

Hope you enjoy it!

I said it already, she should definitely have her own television programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Turnipman wrote: »

Hope you enjoy it!

Really enjoyed reading that. Do you know if she still does the sales?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement