Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think it's a house in Killester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,396 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Greybottle wrote: »
    On the issues of the grants, it's a lot more complex than just giving the 50% of the cost back to the home owner; there are far more issues at stake here. I'll try to give a rough idea of how it works on that house.
    Yep, it is certainly more complex, but I don't think you've been over-generous in your interpretation here.
    This is €11,500 that the state got extra in VAT. This does not include other taxes that the state earned on it through transport, excise duties etc. etc., and especially not he extra employment that it created.

People were employed to install the equipment and materials, meaning they were earning wages, thus paying PAYE, USC etc. They also have a higher disposable income so they contribute to more jobs in the economy. And they are not on the dole thus saving the state money.
    This 'state funding creates economic activity' doesn't really stand up. If it did, the state would be giving me money to take my family out for dinner this weekend.
    On the other hand they are learning a skill and experience in an area that is badly needed in this country and one that is becoming more important.

And the state going forward will be emitting less emissions, thus helping us to pay less fines.
    Now we're getting somewhere - these are indeed beneficial. But the question remains why the state funds to create these benefits would be targeted at private homes of those with the most substantial resources to fund these improvements.
    Maybe the state should be making these improvements to the property it owns - public housing. And what about the houses of those with the least resources, these who are just ticking over from week to week, who are most vulnerable to energy bills - instead of those who already have substantial resources.
    These other approaches would achieve the benefits you outline, but without targeting the better off.
    The people who own the house will in the future be paying less for energy, thus keeping more money circulating in the Irish economy, I think we import 70% of our energy and a house like that would traditionally run on gas or oil, meaning they would probably be importing near to 100% of their energy.
    Who's to say that the savings made by the property owner will keep more money circulating here? Maybe they'll use the savings to fund their holiday apartment in Spain? Or their annual trips to the US or Australia? Who knows - that's a big leap to say the savings will result in more money circulating here.
    If you focus funding on people who are worse off, there is a far bigger chance that the savings will be spent here, as people who are worst off spend most of their money on the basics here - food, drink, basic services. The better off you are, the more likely that a significant part of your income will be spent out of the country.
    There are many other factors, yes, 50% is a lot, maybe too much, but schemes like this need a kick start for a few years, but it's far more complex than simply saying that a huge percent was ripped out of taxpayers pockets or whatever.
    My concerns aren't about the 'kick start'. My concerns are about the targeting of the kick-start at those who already have substantial resources at their disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

dermot loves the bricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I could never buy a house with a fart of a garden like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Budget guesses???

• Advertisement

591 k for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OMG the trees next door would do my head in . Way too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

€591,000 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

591k for this gaff.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

€591k for a fixerupper???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

591 and no back garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

The place is so dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    OMG the trees next door would do my head in . Way too high
    It's for their privacy they will say.

He has his work out trying to get light into this place

150k. 250 neaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

So lads, anyone taking bets on how much Dermot goes over on budget before it’s built?

Is there rear access to the site, or is it just through that blue door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭CH3OH

€150,000 is an awful lot of money.. Dermot thinks that he needs a magic wand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Zhane wrote: »
    So lads, anyone taking bets on how much Dermot goes over on budget before it’s built?

I’ll say €200,000

• Advertisement

Where will Dermot stick the glass box on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Going to be looking at well over 800,000 before this finished, that’s including what they might have put into already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,326 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder was the back garden that small when the house was originally built or was it sold off over the years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did they call the kid Luain as the Irish word for Monday?

CH3OH wrote: »

Yes it is . He always acts as if they said 50k or something

wierd place to put a utility

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

CH3OH wrote: »

He always turns his nose up at people's budget!

I love the name Luan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

harr wrote: »
    Going to be looking at well over 800,000 before this finished, that’s including what they might have put into already.

Unbelievable money, they must be very well paid or were given money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like where he is going with it to be honest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement