Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wonder if editing is not telling the full story, seems like madness that your man would add on 20k extras without consulting someone first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,325 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd guess the builder won't be going to the house warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

problem is that no one is there willing to give the go ahead and also be held accountable for that.
    if dermot is the go to guy then that fall on him. you cant ask the customer if something is ok to do and then they go back on that.
    there needs to be an oficial person to give the go ahead instead of passing it off to the other person.
    builder is right but going about it wrong. he needs to get anal about filling the paperwork to ok the add ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

jobless wrote: »
    Web designer and it manager wouldn't earn enough to put 800k into a house... Must have money from elsewhere

Depends on the definition of "web designer" and "it manager". The girl who was an "IT manager" a few weeks ago was actually a senior director of a company. These two could have worked their asses off in London for 10 years saved a lot of money and now have senior roles wherever they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

LirW wrote: »
    They've been in London for the last 12 years I think.

But to be fair, they paid some outrageous money for an so-so house in Killester, fcuk me.

Yeah if they livid frugally in London they could have got a nice wedge saved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Other house is gorgeous . They always are far nicer than Dermots builds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You'd be reluctant to hire that builder if you're watching this.

Seems difficult to work with.

Very single minded and the work is flying up but he seems like a right PITA.

It looks like this was priced with no profit in the job and extras were going to be the profit.

The quick build that the builder was planning should have raised red flags for Dermot and the QS.

Building is a game and the professionals on the side of the client need to be wise to the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Any builder with half a brain would love this exposure and would be going out of his way to impress, as it would pay off down then line.
    This guy wants payment for stirring his tea !

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

jos28 wrote: »
    I think this is the first time we have given out about the builder

Yeh! And all in agreement about it.

Really like the couple, hope the end result is what they wanted

harr wrote: »
    I would be raging...no way in hell he would be getting the extra 20 if he went Rogue on what was agreed...surely all that extra work he claims needed doing should have been in the original agreement.
    Surely the builders knew the wall needed knocking and the doorway blocked up, why wasn’t it added to the agreement.

they were changes outside the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It sounds as if the builder is charging 20k on top of his costs, but they bought nothing with it just time. If he was still on course to finish in the 8 weeks, where did they spend the 20k on labour. Seems mental. Changing the scheduling of the pointing should not add much additional cost.

M

Would those wooden frame type decorations in the garden not have the wind howling through them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jobless wrote: »
    Yeah if they livid frugally in London they could have got a nice wedge saved

Contradiction in terms. Its like Singapore, pay no tax but rent a two bed for $7000 pcm

M

The black windows are shocking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wonder if editing is not telling the full story, seems like madness that your man would add on 20k extras without consulting someone first

Yeah, builder taking no nonsense with them, wonder will the builder last the full show. If he was that much of a dick, he would be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Your one is a pure poser and thinks she’s way more edgy and alternative than what she is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Now the annoying part , Dermot convincing the couple what they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yeh! And all in agreement about it.

Really like the couple, hope the end result is what they wanted
    And happy they are not just giving up the 20 grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Finally clicked where I recognise Cliona from.

She was Jeremy Irons' gun-toting gf in Die Hard 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Would those wooden frame type decorations in the garden not have the wind howling through them?

Lots of these things look lovely but living with them is a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I like palm trees...monkey light!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Your one is a pure poser and thinks she’s way more edgy and alternative than what she is

I actually love her! She is a great match for Dermot! He is horrified and I am loving it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

I found myself looking at the logo on the helmets and surprised that it hasn't been blurred out by the builders solicitors. This boyo should have seen the show as a once in a life time chance for advertising instead he is absolutely fleecing them on national TV.

M

Lots of these things look lovely but living with them is a different story.

Yes I'd say they would need painting every year to keep them in decent condition and would be a complete pain to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That kitchen is awful, my god. It looks so flimsy and cheap. I had a similar kitchen when we bought our house, was some shoddy self built and it was disgusting, I have no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Finally clicked where I recognise Cliona from.

I was thinking Ellen DeGeneres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone else think she sounds like Niamh Connolly in Father Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thought Dermot was going to have a stroke there.

It's almost like these clients are deliberately trying to troll Dermot

What stops builders saying “ I can do that but it costs” when something new is asked for. And how much for knocking a wall. Can’t take that much.

obviously the price has to be fair and honest .
    you would be supprised how much a small thing like that would cost. rsj/ lentels,labour, disposal , profit. it all adds up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

they were changes outside the contract

Which possibly means that the contract was lacking in necessary details from the outset..... does that blame rest on Dermots head or couple

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement