Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just flicked over to plus 1 . god that green kitchen looked cat. looks like a diy painted cheapy mdf doors you would throw into a bedsit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

The lights might like nice but totally impractical if you have a baby in the house. Toddler will swing out of those lights + that is not going to end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jesus that green and white extension is horrible that kitchen looks rough as....the doors look ready to fall off flimsy crappy material, looks cold and clinical eugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I miss Ma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

appledrop wrote: »
    That kitchen was dreadful. Looked like a cheap 1980s kitchen that the council would put into one of their houses. Also only about 3 presses. Where would everything go.

Looked like birch plywood used in the kitchen, it wouldn't be a cheap material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you were doing a job like that, on a site like that, why in hell wouldn't you do a two-storey extension while you were at it? Even a first fix fit out upstairs and revisit it when the budget allowed

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you were doing a job like that, on a site like that, why in hell wouldn't you do a two-storey extension while you were at it? Even a first fix fit out upstairs and revisit it when the budget allowed

probably wouldnt get planning. its very close to next door at the back. probably end up overlooking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

just flicked over to plus 1 . god that green kitchen looked cat. looks like a diy painted cheapy mdf doors you would throw into a bedsit

All it remind me of was post boxes/vans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Money!!!

tretorn wrote: »
    They were a very bland boring couple and Im sorry but what was with the shaving of hair. She was a bit old for that look.
    It was colossal money for that house, over 800,000 between purchae price and extension.
    Icouldnt see thirty grands worth that they had done before starting the job, did they say what they had done.
    No need to comment on her appearance.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    The couple should have known about the asbestos roof when they had the survey done before buying the house?
    They may have , but not aware of the implications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

ted1 wrote: »
    No need to comment on her appearance.

I know but she irritated the hell out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I like the builder, he knows what he is doing and he is not waisting time.
    He was right about the brick.
    Yes, he is a bit pushy, but so far I think he's been faultless.
    Quality and speed of his work seems well up to scratch.
    And he's not taking any crap from Dermot.

Agreed, I originally thought he was pushy about having the brick by Monday, but this should have been decided before the build started.
    No sign of Lisa at all this week.

:(:(:(
    Not a good advertisement for this builder at all. What numpty would carry out extra work and charge for it without the customer signing off on it?

Builder was good, he can only give a quote based on what the architect and QS give him. It's not up to him to survey the place if he is not asked.

The lack of communication here is between the QS and Dermot. The builder cannot go to the client for every change of plan or extra cost. They hired their own QS, this is the guy the builder speaks to, not the client. It's then up to the QS or Dermot to go to the client with this.

FWIW I think that bit was staged as the build went so well, there were no dodgy sewage pipes or massive changes, or windows getting broken on the M4.

The €3,000 contingency was a joke. In a build of that age you would have had €15,000 minimum, or 10%.

I'd hire that builder on the spot to be honest. He seems to be a top project manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Greybottle wrote: »
    Agreed, I originally thought he was pushy about having the brick by Monday, but this should have been decided before the build started.

Builder was good, he can only give a quote based on what the architect and QS give him. It's not up to him to survey the place if he is not asked.

The lack of communication here is between the QS and Dermot. The builder cannot go to the client for every change of plan or extra cost. They hired their own QS, this is the guy the builder speaks to, not the client. It's then up to the QS or Dermot to go to the client with this.

FWIW I think that bit was staged as the build went so well, there were no dodgy sewage pipes or massive changes, or windows getting broken on the M4.

The €3,000 contingency was a joke. In a build of that age you would have had €15,000 minimum, or 10%.

I'd hire that builder on the spot to be honest. He seems to be a top project manager.

Yeh if you like an extra 20k lobbed on.

The builder didn’t speak to the QS. Hence the shock at the 20k extras.

Greybottle wrote: »

agree 100%
    the brick colour issue should have been nailed down before tendering. what kind of clown organising the job hasnt major things like that decided before the builder needs them.
    there didnt seem to be any discussion on windows so they must have been desided a month before hand

Yeh if you like an extra 20k lobbed on.

The builder didn’t speak to the QS. Hence the shock at the 20k extras.

none of that was the builders fault. there are always extras. and those have to be paid for. he claims to have goten the ok from the client or from dermot.

his failing was in not getting paperwork to back that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

none of that was the builders fault. there are always extras. and those have to be paid for. he claims to have goten the ok from the client or from dermot.

As I said in the last episode builders need to act like other professionals. If there’s a change that costs, tell people immediately.

As I said in the last episode builders need to act like other professionals. If there’s a change that costs, tell people immediately.

it sounds like he did but not oficially enough with costs worked out. he was a bit too trusting and took their ok as good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

tretorn wrote: »
    I know but she irritated the hell out of me.

I get where you're coming from though. I'm 35 so probably close in age to them. At one stage back in college I used to spike up my hair like crazy in every direction. Wouldn't dream of doing that now unless I was in a big, successful punk band!

Each to their own, I didn't find her hair too out there being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I've often felt that builders on previous episodes were messed around and had to add or knock walls etc with no mention of the extra cost/time involved and I've often wondered if they've gone along with it due to the fact that it's on tv and they were reluctant to make a scene.

Tonight's builder was probably completely right and not the type to be railroaded by anyone but his attitude was a bit brash,seems like he did a great job but I wouldn't like to work for him ..😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

" somewhere in all of us is the power to change the world ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It was an extremely limited project to have made the show. There were very little alternatives to what DB presented as his plan. Main house had to be left as was, had to knock down sheds and replace with a fairly standard structure.

As for the final result, a little too edgy for me. Fake edgy, trying too hard. I couldn't live in a hipster cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

maxresdefault.jpg

a 3D wall mural would have been better

They could be sipping coffee looking out past the decking and into their 3D 4th bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

She looks very familiar to me....have I seen her on TV before?
    Really wasn't mad about that for a build last night. But that's largely down to taste, and theirs most definitely didn't coincide with mine! But they seemed genuinely delighted with it, so more power to them.

I'm in two minds about the builder. If that 20K overspend was for real (and not just hammed up for the sake of creating drama for the telly) then I'd have absolutely KILLED him. Whoever he was meant to be taking order from, whoever he should have told, whatever the chain of command was meant to have been - if that really was the first the clients heard of an actual (not proposed, mind) overspend that size, then that was a disgrace.

On the other hand, what an efficient machine he appeared to be running. I'd say his manner would have worn thin on me very quickly - but my goodness he was able to run a site to time!

The house they visited was awful! (IMO) But again that's a matter of taste, so if they liked it (and they did) then off with them.

It was very strange site - big house on a really awkward triangular site, I also wondered had it been carved up and some sold off. Was there ever a mention the aspect the house/garden?

HUUUUUUGE money for what they got in the end, but then that's houses in Dublin for ya at the moment I suppose.

The whole show was dominated for me by the fact that Ciara reminded me unnervingly of Capt. Dara Fitzpatrick from R116 - her hairstyle, her looks and her manner and how she spoke were really really like how I remember the late captain in shows about R116. RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That builder was very pushy, the whole thing seemed very rushed.

591 k to buy it, they spent 30 k themselves and then something like 180 k for the build, they would want well paying jobs to pay that off.

I was hoping they would tell us how the argument over the 20 k was sorted because I thought it was the most interesting bit in an otherwise boring episode out but of course they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I was looking at the back wall and all I could see was Venus Williams !
    Did not like it & no mention of the cost off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I know. Especially as they said they just didn't have the money to pay for it. It is annoying when they leave things unanswered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Birdsong wrote: »
    I was looking at the back wall and all I could was Venus Williams !
    Did not like it & no mention of the cost off it.

:D

I'm always intrigued by clients who push the budget to the limits and beyond for the build, yet always seem to have the wherewithall for design statements like those lights and the mural in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It wouldnt surprise me at all if it was ok'd by Dermot and he "forgot " to tell the clients .Dermot has a knack of putting things in and presuming the client knew

I liked the couple and thought the house suited them , the mural was simply hideous but that aside it was just a matter of taste .I liked her hair and it was her taste and it was clean and neat and what else matters ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cant watch it anymore..its gone all too "rehersed" imo....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement