Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

They tendered the old house work at 100000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

LirW wrote: »
    No, but I've also defended people that didn't suit into my scheme of things.
    Jesus, like I'm in court. I watch the show for the outcome, not particularly for the people, mainly because I worked in the field of renovation for a few years.
    Now all of you calm down.

We were all calm until you lectured us !!! Relax its only a TV show !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The 7 weeks and 4 days was nett of stoppages (the site was closed for a period) and Christmas.

When the announcer said it it was before the builder closed the site. Maybe it was an oversight in the script vs editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've worked on a planning exempt extension (less than 40 sqm) that cost in excess of 180k with no works to existing.
    Costs go through the roof when you get into non standard structures,detailing and finishes. I didn't see much of last nights show but tinted bricks does not sound like a great idea to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

mickdw wrote: »
    I've worked on a planning exempt extension (less than 40 sqm) that cost in excess of 180k with no works to existing.
    Costs go through the roof when you get into non standard structures,detailing and finishes.

I'm sure you have. I have seen people charged a fiver for a can of Coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jvan wrote: »
    When the announcer said it it was before the builder closed the site. Maybe it was an oversight in the script vs editing.
    The reference I heard to 7 weeks 4 days was at the very end at the wrap party - builder said it was actual working time so didn't count the site closure or Christmas.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. He was still very efficient - maybe a bit too efficient for his own (and certainly his clients') good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This post has been deleted.

Aluminium windows are probably the cheapest type of windows so how are they bumping up on the original figure (which I think is inflated btw)

So at €1500/SqM do you think the extension was €120SqM? Looks be less than half that in reality.

Also what hardwood doors are you referring to, because it looks like they added very little doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For the price they paid for a bog standard semi in a bog standard suburb of Dublin + renovations they could probably have bought a beautiful house with decent gardens and all work done nearby.

This one maybe.....

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/260-howth-road-killester-dublin-5-d05-dd74/4216441

But Topaz across the road is probably too edgy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

For the price they paid for a bog standard semi in a bog standard suburb of Dublin + renovations they could probably have bought a beautiful house with decent gardens and all work done nearby.

This one maybe.....

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/260-howth-road-killester-dublin-5-d05-dd74/4216441

That's what I said yesterday, they paid some serious money for that house. Tbf the plot isn't small.
    Anyway I think if you're thinking of living there long term it's worth it spending that money to get the place to a standard that you feel home in it (given you have the money).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

This one maybe.....

At least that one has 4 bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If that's the case, it sounds like a big stretch for how the scheme would be intended. I'm wondering why the State would want to top up a €200k investment? Maybe they should have just built a smaller house and gotten their A3 rating with a small house from their own resources. Or maybe the scheme rules should look beyond the legal owner to see who really benefits?

I'm not really sure what the gripe is. They could easily have spend 200k without really making the house significantly more energy efficient. If 200k was the extent of someone's budget and they needed to increase the footprint etc, should they be excluded from energy efficiency grants to go above and beyond the level of works they would have to get that significant level of energu performance upgrades?

What is the cut off for applying for a grant to upgrade energy efficiency?

Genuine question because there seems to be this idea that because they manager to get together a relatively big pot of money - increased because of the additional works to achieve A rating - that they should be excluded from a scheme to incentivise upgrades to A3. How would such an exclusion work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭threetrees

Dermot based the new extension right on the footprint of the old one and the sheds. He used the same line as the original wall. The plot of land has a huge garden to the front and side so I can't understand how he didn't design the extension using that part and give a bigger back garden. The garden would have been south east facing too. It may have been a planning issue, but they are applying for retention now anyway!

Probably wouldn't get planning to extend to the front in a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

threetrees wrote: »
    . It may have been a planning issue, but they are applying for retention now anyway!

For the build on the show or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭threetrees

Reati wrote: »
    For the build on the show or something else?

For the build on the show. Bannon Architects applying for retention for them.

Bit strange I'd have thought, but am wondering if they ultimately intend building another house in the front garden to sell on or rent out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That was definitely a marmite builder :)

Lots of people I talked to said they'd bloody murder him with his rushing and pushing. "I need to know about these bricks by the end of today" - he seems to forget that he's the contractor, not the client.

But I can see how lots of people would love his decisiveness and would be delighted to just get the thing built and finished quickly rather than be asked for an input into everything and delay by 3 and 4 days while investigations are done.

Shrewd negotiator as well I'd say - he managed to get the window place to make the windows in a week, I'd say he dropped the old "on the telly" thing with them to get that done.

Can't say the build itself was particularly inspiring, but the builder was a curious character alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wasn't impressed with what they got for the money they spent at all, would love to see a full breakdown of that budget. The mural was hideous, would have been far better spending the money to re-render it and simply paint it white (it was a mish-mash of rendered parts and bare brick) - would have bounced more light into the garden/kitchen that way too.

I'd use the builder as I'm the sort who would have spent hours hammering out the design with the architect and everything specified to the nth degree in the tender before embarking on any major work. They seemed to get burned by not having decisions made on fairly simple things as which doors were to be blocked up, walls knocked and bricks to be used etc. I'd presume he was the cheapest quote they got for their tender based on his "less time on site means less money spent" comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Yeah, wasent impressed with that builder and value for money, my god, what did all the money go into...the builders pocket id say...
    The Mural on the the wall was hideous ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I liked the builder - he wasn't taking any of Dermot's sh|t!

Like everyone else on here, I thought the mural was hideous - like something you'd see in the smoking area of an overly-trendy pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

We know the house was not rewired, because all the ceilings would most likely have had to come down to get at existing wiring

Nah, you don't have to pull ceilings down to rewire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Addle wrote: »
    At least that one has 4 bedrooms.

It's not all about the number of bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Yeah, wasent impressed with that builder and value for money, my god, what did all the money go into...the builders pocket id say...
    The Mural on the the wall was hideous ...
    Neither of us know where the 100000 went on the old house but it was on the breakdown at the start that demon had worked out.

Builder probably priced with no profit based on 10 weeks. So if he got it finished cheaper then the difference is profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

This one maybe.....

730,00 euros for this house is completely insane, it is a very plain house with no back garden and room for only one car in the front.

The house was stripped of all furniture to make the rooms look bigger but you could it was small.

The house in Room to Improve was over priced too but its an attractive looking house and it was on a big site to the front. You could lock the gates and put outdoor equipment in the front garden for the child, there was no room front or back in the other house for children.

Its down to location as always, you could get the equivalent of the house costing over 700,000 in Arklow for less than 300,000 euros, less again in Gorey and Gorey is a nice town.

We are definitely heading for another bust if prices of 700,000 are being got for small detached house without gardens on a very busy road in Killester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Addle wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't get planning to extend to the front in a housing estate.

It actually counts as a side extension as it didn't extend past the front of the existing house.

What I find insane is that RTE and Dermot Bannon proceeded without planning permission where planning permission was required. I know it's something that many people do, but at the same time to do it blatantly on television, likely just so it could be included in this series of RTI (especially given the very quick build time), is pretty ballsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't know but 180k seemed a very big cost to me. It wasn't the biggest extension in the world by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

loyatemu wrote: »
    I liked the builder - he wasn't taking any of Dermot's sh|t!

Like everyone else on here, I thought the mural was hideous - like something you'd see in the smoking area of an overly-trendy pub.

It was courageous or something..

It'll be painted over soon enough..

Effects wrote: »
    It's not all about the number of bedrooms.

The clients in this episode said they'd like a 4th bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

On the paper you could see that the extension was 60sqm costing 115k. That's 1916 Euros per sqm. That's not particularly small. That wasn't exempt from planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd heard before that CoCo Television usually insist that planning permission is sorted, or the works exempt from planning, before they'll proceed with a project?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement