Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd imagine Dermot would insist on conforming with planning regs too, wouldn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭threetrees

It's strange as there is planning permission in for retention of the side extension, 42 sq m. You'd think Dermot would have kept it under the 40 sq m for the purposes of avoiding PP.

It sounds like someone messed up somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭Penn

threetrees wrote: »
    It's strange as there is planning permission in for retention of the side extension, 42 sq m. You'd think Dermot would have kept it under the 40 sq m for the purposes of avoiding PP.

It sounds like someone messed up somewhere!

Wouldn't have avoided planning permission anyway with a side extension. Only exempt if it's a rear extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are there many more episodes in this series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd heard before that CoCo Television usually insist that planning permission is sorted, or the works exempt from planning, before they'll proceed with a project?

Yes, I think I heard something similar. You'd also find it hard to do things cash in hand and fiddle things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I drove by the house today, its really nice, its actually on Furry Park Road and its a big corner site with neighbours on one side only.

There wouldnt be room to build another house in the garden. The back garden was sold off I would say, there is a newish house right behind this house, as I said I would feel very hemmed in as the back garden is tiny. There really wasnt room to build another house so now you have two houses jammed up against each other.

The bricks on the extension looked great, a perfect match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Vronsky wrote: »
    You can bet your backside that the reason for the balloon in price is that the builder had priced sfa profit in the job and had planned to make money on the extras. This always happens when you go for the lowest price construction tender and simply invites heartbreak and stress.

I would have love to have seen what the breakdown of the extras were.

How did the builder know that there were going to be extras? The job was tendered out, for all he knew it was costed down to the last nut and bolt.

There is a certain profit margin built into the original tender price of €155,000. For all we know they agreed on €170,000 for the build. That was never discussed. When you start to chop and change stuff then costs go up. Any project manager will tell you that.

Until I would get proof otherwise, then I think it's a bit slanderous or people here to have a go at the builder.

There were add-ons that we saw, such as the asbestos, doors, bricks and I'm not sure that they had the graffiti costed originally. There were possibly loads of other ones. It's hard to know when the programme is so heavily edited down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Greybottle wrote: »
    How did the builder know that there were going to be extras?

There's always extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

threetrees wrote: »
    It may have been a planning issue, but they are applying for retention now anyway!

Here's the planning application details for the nosey folks like me.

I'm fairly gobsmacked that they went ahead without planning permission.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly gobsmacked that they went ahead without planning permission.
    They must be stuck for content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So what happens if someone objects to this build, or if it’s refused ?
    No wonder they were so picky on having the bricks the same colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is unbelievable. Even worse is they have showed the episode already when planning could now be refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

When you see Dermot you know there will be extras...lol..at least 20%

riemann wrote: »
    There's always extras.

harr wrote: »
    So what happens if someone objects to this build, or if it’s refused ?
    No wonder they were so picky on having the bricks the same colour.

To be honest, it's unlikely to be refused. Hence why, as you point out, they had to work so hard to get the bricks and pointing to match the existing, as that could have been a significant reason for refusal. But the design and size of the extension seems appropriate and so long as most of the other rules of planning and exempted development were adhered to (such as retaining enough rear amenity space, surface water disposal design etc), it's just unlikely to be refused.

But it's still pretty unbelievable that they went ahead with it given that it's on TV and Dermot's professional reputation is linked with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think they could be in trouble with rear garden space that remains. Now it's very hard to tell from tv how much space there is but looked little very little to me. Maybe the outside courtyard will swing it for them but not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Penn wrote: »
    To be honest, it's unlikely to be refused. Hence why, as you point out, they had to work so hard to get the bricks and pointing to match the existing, as that could have been a significant reason for refusal. But the design and size of the extension seems appropriate and so long as most of the other rules of planning and exempted development were adhered to (such as retaining enough rear amenity space, surface water disposal design etc), it's just unlikely to be refused.

But it's still pretty unbelievable that they went ahead with it given that it's on TV and Dermot's professional reputation is linked with it.

I’m stunned that they went ahead eith planning too.
    Anyone remember when a farm house in Tipp, way up a side road, built the extension just outside the allowed limits and Dermot flipped said he couldn’t be involved and the program was stppped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder if the original plans came in under 40 sq.m., but at some point a county planner was called in, measured it and told them that they needed to apply for permission.

The plans submitted to DCC indicate a total internal space of 39 sq.m. but place the extension at 42 sq.m. So I don't know where that extra 3 sq.m. is coming from.

So if they built it and then someone locally raised an objection, prompting an inspection and a declaration that it's unauthorised, then you'd end up in this quandry.

Unlikely to be rejected though. From the point of view of neighbours, that space was already occupied by outhouses, and the aesthetic of the original building has been improved.

seamus wrote: »
    I wonder if the original plans came in under 40 sq.m., but at some point a county planner was called in, measured it and told them that they needed to apply for permission.

The plans submitted to DCC indicate a total internal space of 39 sq.m. but place the extension at 42 sq.m. So I don't know where that extra 3 sq.m. is coming from.

So if they built it and then someone locally raised an objection, prompting an inspection and a declaration that it's unauthorised, then you'd end up in this quandry.

Unlikely to be rejected though. From the point of view of neighbours, that space was already occupied by outhouses, and the aesthetic of the original building has been improved.

Wouldn't matter. Regardless of floor area, it was a side extension and therefore not covered by exempted development. It was always going to need planning permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Penn wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter. Regardless of floor area, it was a side extension and therefore not covered by exempted development. It was always going to need planning permission.
    Sure. However, if..
    6. Can I convert my garage to domestic use?
    The conversion for use as part of a dwelling house (e.g. as a living room or bedroom) of a garage, store, shed etc. attached to the rear or side of a house is normally exempted development, subject to the 40 square metre limit and conditions as set out in Question 5 above.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C1586%2Cen.pdf

All of those outbuildings were just storage sheds. So they may have believed the extension was exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Coming this autumn, the spin off of Room To Improve.....

....Room To Remove.

Where Dermot argues with the client about the colour of the skip used to cart away the extension that he built a few months back and the exact placement of the truck that came to take the skip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

Incredible amount of money for what they got.

A 3 bed semi with no back garden on an extremely busy in Killester with a homemade kitchen.

You can get a nice 4 bed in Clontarf for the same price in a better location on a better plot.

Just can't see where the money was spent. Same floor plan as the sheds... were they not using existing foundations?

Other than the new windows throughout the house, they paid 180k for a single storey 39m2 extension with a flat roof :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Wonder where Tipp house episode is located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I see Dermot is selling his 3 bed terrace in Drumcondra. It's nicely finished and it's clear he didn't have much scope for developing it, outside of the extension at the back.

649k though......glad I live no where near Dublin.

Greybottle wrote: »
    Coming this autumn, the spin off of Room To Improve.....

....Room To Remove.

Where Dermot argues with the client about the colour of the skip used to cart away the extension that he built a few months back and the exact placement of the truck that came to take the skip away.

Brick by brick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So, he has tiles in the kitchen area and not timber!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Oh, I passed the house plenty of times with the dog when we were still living with the In-Laws! They basically live around the corner, it's a lovely corner of the city.

And honestly, it's a beautiful house, I'd get it if I'd have the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Incredible amount of money for what they got.

A 3 bed semi with no back garden on an extremely busy in Killester with a homemade kitchen.

You can get a nice 4 bed in Clontarf for the same price in a better location on a better plot.

Just can't see where the money was spent. Same floor plan as the sheds... were they not using existing foundations?

Other than the new windows throughout the house, they paid 180k for a single storey 39m2 extension with a flat roof :confused:

Its not like Dermot is charging for it though, it gets run by the QS. Could time be a factor in the price? as they got it done in 7 working weeks?

Id love to see where the money went though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

seamus wrote: »
    So they may have believed the extension was exempt.

Isn't the point of employing professionals like Dermot that they are supposed to know for a fact rather than believe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement