Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Lisa at the end was the only part worth waiting for in that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

Some comparison budget wise between last week and this week. They got a hell of a lot more for their money in Tipp.
    The mother reminds me of Celia Holman Lee - also from Limerick, wonder if they are related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I lived the navy presses

In them? How long?

Was there room to improve in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

A lot of the furniture looks very staged. Was it brought in by the production company?

It doesn't look like her style - in particular the kitchen table and chairs

It has been said on a few occasions about that!

But hey at the end it may have been a storm in a tea cup, who cares if she has a lot of China, but at times dermot was like a red rag to a bull :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't like the house at all. It's way to sterile, the flooring is wrong and sofas are bloody awful (I don't know if they are theirs or if it was styled for the show with hired furniture).
    Yep no character but that's modern
    Samey samey white, glass etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

screamer wrote: »

It always ends up like that.

The triple frame window on the front aspect of the extension looked absolutely poxy.

And I disagree with others, I think painting the whole gaff white was an error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't like the house at all. It's way to sterile, the flooring is wrong and sofas are bloody awful (I don't know if they are theirs or if it was styled for the show with hired furniture).

Its like herself , uptight and all for show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

screamer wrote: »

I actually like modern, I just don't like this one. Wooden flooring would work so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

jos28 wrote: »
    Some comparison budget wise between last week and this week. They got a hell of a lock more for their money in Tipp.
    The mother reminds me of Celia Holman Lee - also from Limerick, wonder if they are related.

That's a good comparison. Still at a loss as to where money went last week. Tonight's episode restored a really old house so rewiring, plumbing, damp proofing etc ould have cost a fortune + whole house was redone. Amazing value for what they got. Last week they basically spent nearly same money on kitchen/ dining room extension. Mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did we get to see the bedroom/ensuite finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It always ends up like that.

The triple frame window on the front aspect of the extension looked absolutely poxy.

And I disagree with others, I think painting the whole gaff white was an error.

An engineered pane with no frame would've been easy to get for that size ope .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

I think painting the whole gaff white was an error.
    I agree, it's going to cost a fortune to maintain over the coming years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

The outside of the house was horrible. It looked amazing in the white at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Happy4all wrote: »
    I must be alone, in liking her.

Hi Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Did we get to see the bedroom/ensuite finished?

was the duvet set at the start of the episode not enough for ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

appledrop wrote: »
    Some comparison budget wise between last week and this week. They got a hell of a lock more for their money in Tipp.

That's a good comparison. Still at a loss as to where money went last week. Tonight's episode restored a really old house so rewiring, plumbing, damp proofing etc ould have cost a fortune + whole house was redone. Amazing value for what they got. Last week they basically spent nearly same money on kitchen/ dining room extension. Mind boggling.

This week's job was straight forward a gut out and refit much easier than trying to renovate and extend with partial building. Also the site last week was from memory odd shaped. There was a lot of stuff that had to be handballed in and out. That means guys with wheel barrows in and out to cart stuff around no big chutes with dumps underneath. That costs lots of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

appledrop wrote: »

They also mentioned floor insulation. A house that old would have had none, so would be dug up with new radon barrier and DPC, never mind the insulation. That's a fair cost in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I cannot understand why some people who take part in this show bother hiring an architect in the first place. She seemed to shut him down every time he made a suggestion, as the architect he is supposed to put forward design proposals to his client based on his professional opinion. If she wanted things done her own way then she needn't have bothered signing up for the show in the first place. Thought he gave her way too much (undeserved) credit at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I feel sorry for Padraig, I'd say he finds jobs out in the shed for the evening rather than have to be around herself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why do none of the houses on this programme have curtains or blinds in the windows? Do they have to wait until after filming as part of some contractual obligation or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why some people who take part in this show bother hiring an architect in the first place. She seemed to shut him down every time he made a suggestion, as the architect he is supposed to put forward design proposals to his client based on his professional opinion. If she wanted things done her own way then she needn't have bothered signing up for the show in the first place. Thought he gave her way too much (undeserved) credit at the end.

Because that's the way people are.
    When it comes to renovating, people think hiring an architect is the done thing. It has its perks, you're not self-managing it but she was a chronic micro manager and you can't get that out of people.

That house was absolutely morbidly massive for just the both of them, I'm always thinking who needs that much space and who cleans it?!
    Granted they might want to have kids at some point but still.

baldbear wrote: »
    You can also use it as a reading room. :;

Or Panic Room :eek:
    James 007 wrote: »
    Thats not correct, she married him for the land!!!

Road Frontage :), that reminds me Blind Dates Ireland is on soon ;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

yabadabado wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Padraig, I'd say he finds jobs out in the shed for the evening rather than have to be around herself.

Jesus yeah, I feel sorry for him. The mother in law must be a nightmare too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

At the end of the day it's about what the client wants.

However there is a nice way to put your point across without sneering at someone. It's basic politeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think painting the whole gaff white was an error.
    I agree, it's going to cost a fortune to maintain over the coming years
    Was it painted or insulated and rendered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Don't hate me , but I like the way the house turned out :)

And I liked the Parlour , or Reading room or whatever you want to call it . It'd be lovely just to have a quiet space with no tv just to sit and read or whatever you choose to do there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My big issue with RTI is that it focuses so much on the conflict and small details and doesn’t give a proper overview of the job. Am I right in thinking we never actually saw the plans they went with in the end? Was there not an extension in the first plan, but i don’t think there was in the final job? It leaves it very hard to visualise what work they’ve done.

I think she wanted someone to say NO to her, but Dermot caved in?
    LirW wrote: »
    Because that's the way people are.
    When it comes to renovating, people think hiring an architect is the done thing. It has its perks, you're not self-managing it but she was a chronic micro manager and you can't get that out of people.

That house was absolutely morbidly massive for just the both of them, I'm always thinking who needs that much space and who cleans it?!
    Granted they might want to have kids at some point but still[/I].

Shure she may say, people may not be doing that in the future :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ncmc wrote: »
    My big issue with RTI is that it focuses so much on the conflict and small details and doesn’t give a proper overview of the job. Am I right in thinking we never actually saw the plans they went with in the end? Was there not an extension in the first plan, but i don’t think there was in the final job? It leaves it very hard to visualise what work they’ve done.

This is now a reality TV show!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement