Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Some of the terms used to describe that girl on Twitter are disgusting. There was nothing wrong with her. She just had a strong opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Don't hate me , but I like the way the house turned out :)

And I liked the Parlour , or Reading room or whatever you want to call it . It'd be lovely just to have a quiet space with no tv just to sit and read or whatever you choose to do there .

That pink couchy thing looked so uncomfortable ! But she could sit ramrod straight on it whilst reading her book !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Wesser wrote: »
    Daisy78 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why some people who take part in this show bother hiring an architect in the first place. She seemed to shut him down every time he made a suggestion, as the architect he is supposed to put forward design proposals to his client based on his professional opinion. If she wanted things done her own way then she needn't have bothered signing up for the show in the first place. Thought he gave her way too much (undeserved) credit at the end.

At the end of the day it's about what the client wants.

However there is a nice way to put your point across without sneering at someone. It's basic politeness.

Absolutely, she was so rude to him, I don't know how he kept his patience. I take your point but this show has been around for quite a while and if you have watched any number of episodes you'd know the type of aesthetic the show aims for. China cabinets have not featured prominently to my knowldege. She must have had an awareness of that from the start, at the very least Dermot is big on open plan living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some of the terms used to describe that girl on Twitter are disgusting. There was nothing wrong with her. She just had a strong opinion.

Have to agree . I was shocked at some of the posts

Loved the way it turned out. Even the China cabinets!!

She wasn’t my cup of tea but some comments here are very personal. She’s getting ripped to shreds on twitter. I guess it’s what you sign up to. Me personally.. I would die!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The main problem with Twitter is it gives a voice to people who think they deserve their opinion to be heard.

And the "look at me! I'm funny" brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This programme seems to bring out the worst in people, who think they know someone because of 45 minutes of footage. She was OTT at times but nothing to deserve some of the abuse she got. Even if open plan isn't Dermot's style, she's the client and he spent a lot of time trying to not do what she wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The main problem with Twitter is it gives a voice to people who think they deserve their opinion to be heard.

And the "look at me! I'm funny" brigade.

The best are the tweets from the one who is local to her. Shows Katie for what she's really like. Which was seen in the show.

House was nice though, liked the blue in the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

She was really rude and condescending. It was much more thasn a strong opinion. It's possible to have an opinion and say it nicely.

Mushy wrote: »
    The best are the tweets from the one who is local to her. Shows Katie for what she's really like.

Well, no. The tweets show what that person thinks of her.

I don't know if I'd get on with her but I don't think shredding her on Twitter is fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Lisa at the end was the only part worth waiting for in that episode.

And the puppy in the opening shots. Nicely bookended really.
    The best are the tweets from the one who is local to her. Shows Katie for what she's really like. Which was seen in the show.

Any link to those tweets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Absolutely, she was so rude to him, I don't know how he kept his patience. I take your point but this show has been around for quite a while and if you have watched any number of episodes you'd know the type of aesthetic the show aims for. China cabinets have not featured prominently to my knowldege. She must have had an awareness of that from the start, at the very least Dermot is big on open plan living.
    I have to agree for the most part,but....its there (her) house, so he HAS to listen to his client. At least in part, they have to live there after all.

But in saying that, she really didn't make her case in a reasonable and sane manner.

IMO, like a lot of other people now are. Want superstar bs to boast about.
    Superficial rather than being practical.

And this lady's and gentlemen, are your kids teachers.

Pity real life is not being shown on TV anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Wesser wrote: »
    She was really rude and condescending. It was much more thasn a strong opinion. It's possible to have an opinion and say it nicely.

She didn't come accross well at all but I think the comments about her are over the top. Imagine reading all this abuse about yourself on Twitter or here, especially considering there is a lot of editing in this type of programmes and a lot of manufactured conflict. Dermot had to sign over a finished project he clearly didn't like but clients will have to live in it. And if they want a small room on the side and a very sterile looking house then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Have to agree . I was shocked at some of the posts
    Glad I'm not on Twitter, there seems to be a lot of wan*ers on it.

meeeeh wrote: »
    there is a lot of editing in this type of programmes and a lot of manufactured conflict. Dermott had to sign over a finished project he clearly didn't like but clients will have to live in it.

And Dermot defended her choices at the end. He may not have agreed with them but not an unkind word was spoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wait 10 years and he'll be on the Late Late begging her to come back when she's buried beneath the new slurry tank. #roomtoimprove

From Twitter. I laughed anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

She just came across as a complete **** maybe she is maybe she isn't but I'd say she watched that show from behind the couch.I felt embarrassed for her at times.

I liked the house the way it turned out.

Lisa is outstanding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have to say that there is NO chance that the man/architect would ever get near my house.

I know drama is essential, but the over budget thing never fails either. Must be a huge contingency factored in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think what put people off them was that they are the perfect incarnation of rural Ireland. A young couple still living somewhere in the 60s in Tipp on a farm.
    She's a teacher and people seem to be worried now that someone like her could potentially their kids teacher.

This young couple stands for good aul culchie Ireland. I wouldn't mind some Supermacs now anyway.

Good for them that they got what they wanted in the end. Not being too keen on open plan myself, I can kinda understand where she is coming from. But for that I think the layout of the house was a bit strange because it seems that the kitchen was just off the entrance hall while it originally was where the living area was intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

With all the controversy over the b1tch tonight(no, not the dog, he was great), some people may have missed Dermot's line, paraphrasing, "So they're all milking cows? Male or female?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_epmoLeRGA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Greybottle wrote: »
    Lisa at the end was the only part worth waiting for in that episode.

And the puppy in the opening shots. Nicely bookended really.

Any link to those tweets?
    If you go back to iamwhoiam post. The link is there. Disgusted at the sad keyboard warriors disgusting language about someone who they have never even met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have to say that there is NO chance that the man/architect would ever get near my house.

I know drama is essential, but the over budget thing never fails either. Must be a huge contingency factored in there.

why . this one came in on or barely under budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

its a fairly accurate portrayal of a lot of teachers churned out by the teacher training colleges

uptight
    conservative
    opinionated

Also, a light is rarely shone on what the client adds into it.

LirW wrote: »
    I think what put people off them was that they are the perfect incarnation of rural Ireland. A young couple still living somewhere in the 60s in Tipp on a farm.
    She's a teacher and people seem to be worried now that someone like her could potentially their kids teacher.

This young couple stands for good aul culchie Ireland. I wouldn't mind some Supermacs now anyway.

Good for them that they got what they wanted in the end. Not being too keen on open plan myself, I can kinda understand where she is coming from. But for that I think the layout of the house was a bit strange because it seems that the kitchen was just off the entrance hall while it originally was where the living area was intended.

i dont think that could be any farther from the truth. him maybe but she is loud , obnoctious, and full of her own importance. they are more traits of big city folk

Must be an outlier so.

Or maybe the teacher was in charge and told them all to back off with their notions big time!

Came in under budget

Must be an outlier so.

Or maybe the teacher was in charge and told them all to back off with their notions big time!

definetly an outlier.

Came in under budget

OK it was a one off wonder with the teacher in charge.

It doesn't always work out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the finish of the house was nice(Didn't love all elements) but I think the couple would have being better with a more traditional architect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement