Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I kinnda understand the budget thing, as soon as you go for some more high end or better finished stuff you will blow the budget. It also depends what money people have and what they are actually prepared to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

OK it was a one off wonder with the teacher in charge.

It doesn't always work out that way.

her being a teacher had no bearing on that.
    the reason is because nothing suprising cropped up. thats because the whole house was gutted, all floors , ceilings, everything was priced to be repalced.
    unless there was a problem with the roof or walls then there wasnt much else to go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Some of the terms used to describe that girl on Twitter are disgusting. There was nothing wrong with her. She just had a strong opinion.

The IT manger girl by herself a few weeks ago and the arty one last week had strong opinions but were nice about it. You don't have to be rude to be firm. The only saving grace this week's one had was she couldn't be as bad as the masseuse who wanted the world to know she had married a multi millionaire in the second episode. But by God did she do her best to come close. That said she didn't lick it up from the stones. I'd say the "reigning calor house wife of the year" had a lot to do with how her daughter turned out. God help poor Padraic if mummy dearest ever comes to live with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I happened to watch it as I'm away from home, I thought she was great to stand up to him.

I get the not wanting open plan thing.
    My house is a renovated old house, and we have a separate kitchen, it would have been very difficult to do an open plan, and I'm glad it didn't even enter our minds.

It's nice to close the door of the kitchen and prepare meals in peace while listening to the radio while the kids and father are at whatever they want to be at elsewhere.

I reckon she's right, people might rediscover the charm of smaller, more private rooms in the future. You know, for those days when you don't want your MIL hovering over you while you're peeling veg to tell you you're doing it wrong.

disclaimer : I may be one of them culchies LizW was on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OK it was a one off wonder with the teacher in charge.

It doesn't always work out that way.

But it also doesn't work out that the client is happy with what their stated budget can get them.

The Cork girl in Clontarf the other week is a prime example. Sure they would find a solution anyway. Because solutions for to most problems are free.

That's an obvious example but it was always shown how the QS whittled back his design to come in on cost. More so when Patricia was QS - I mean it was shown more on camera when she was QS - but he isn't given free reign and costs are invariably added in at the homeowners behest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

The twitter reaction of late will be the shows downfall. Why would a person subject themselves to the intrusion of a camera crew and then receive nasty personal swipes of their character on social media.

Similar behaviour to this ladies as shown tonight happens on sites and in workplaces countrywide. But the difference is you deal with it and move on.

Dermot seems to have forgotten the customer is always right mantra

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Just watched it on plus one.

I did cringe at some of the interactions - Dermot has got where he is thanks to his ability to grin-and-bear-it with clients. I imagine that must be a big part of being an Architect/Project manager.

The comments about her here and on Twitter...not funny and going too far.
    That's a real person with a family and friends... not OK to talk about her in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I happened to watch it as I'm away from home, I thought she was great to stand up to him.

I get the not wanting open plan thing.
    My house is a renovated old house, and we have a separate kitchen, it would have been very difficult to do an open plan, and I'm glad it didn't even enter our minds.

It's nice to close the door of the kitchen and prepare meals in peace while listening to the radio while the kids and father are at whatever they want to be at elsewhere.

I reckon she's right, people might rediscover the charm of smaller, more private rooms in the future. You know, for those days when you don't want your MIL hovering over you while you're peeling veg to tell you you're doing it wrong.

disclaimer : I may be one of them culchies LizW was on about.

I get hat your saying but I would really question why anybody who would pick Dermot as an architect if they weren't into open plan living.

touts wrote: »
    The IT manger girl by herself a few weeks ago and the arty one last week had strong opinions but were nice about it. You don't have to be rude to be firm. The only saving grace this week's one had was she couldn't be as bad as the masseuse who wanted the world to know she had married a multi millionaire in the second episode. But by God did she do her best to come close. That said she didn't lick it up from the stones. I'd say the "reigning calor house wife of the year" had a lot to do with how her daughter turned out. God help poor Padraic if mummy dearest ever comes to live with them.

I don't get all the hate.
    She wasn't rude, she was assertive, and she knew what she liked and what they needed, and wasn't prepared to run with the script of : "oh, I didn't want that but wasn't Dermot great to add it, now I love it".

I didn't like the house finished very much, I would have done it completely differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭memorystick

Deep down people are jealous of teachers. Shortish days, long holidays and ok pay. If she was a nurse they wouldn't be half as hard on her.

• Advertisement

I get hat your saying but I would really question why anybody who would pick Dermot as an architect if they weren't into open plan living.

Yeah good point. I guess because we can all see that he is a good architect, maybe there's always a hope that he might come up with some brilliant ideas and not push ideas that clients are completely set against ?

edit : I thought of another reason : maybe doing this show is a pretty good guarantee that the workmen will deliver, and do so to specs, and on time.

She wasn't rude, she was assertive, and she knew what she liked and what they needed, and wasn't prepared to run with the script of : "oh, I didn't want that but wasn't Dermot great to add it, now I love it".

I didn't like the house finished very much, I would have done it completely differently.

she was very rude. look at the colour of the windows debate. im right im right, your wrong. then demot shows her the sample and its you must have changed the sample. total cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Mushy wrote: »
    The best are the tweets from the one who is local to her. Shows Katie for what she's really like. Which was seen in the show.

House was nice though, liked the blue in the kitchen

I was surprised that a lot of the tweets came from women :P
    Inc some on radio & tv too!

In the background, it could be said, "Katie, always wins"

If Dermot wants to give up the day job, he wanted to be a pilot one time

mycro2013 wrote: »
    The twitter reaction of late will be the shows downfall. Why would a person subject themselves to the intrusion of a camera crew and then receive nasty personal swipes of their character on social media.

Similar behaviour to this ladies as shown tonight happens on sites and in workplaces countrywide. But the difference is you deal with it and move on.

Yep .....and exactly the same things happening with First Dates- people being shredded on social media ....it will be the downfall of a lot of these programmes.

That being said that girl tonight was extremely rude . There is a way of getting your point across and being assertive . Dermot did well to be as graceful about it as he was.

I’d say she’ll look back programme in years to come and regret what she said & how she came across .

mycro2013 wrote: »

nobody believes that speal about the customer is always right.
    they very rarely are, they are usually completely wrong on so many level its a joke. the trick is twisting it around so that you are rigth but they think they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Deep down people are jealous of teachers. Shortish days, long holidays and ok pay. If she was a nurse they wouldn't be half as hard on her.

Haha you're not serious are you?

she was very rude. look at the colour of the windows debate. im right im right, your wrong. then demot shows her the sample and its you must have changed the sample. total cow.

I don't know. She didn't call him any names, she just insisted she had been shown a different sample, and I'm not sure I trust Dermot's word that it absolutely was the same sample.

Why trust Dermot more than her ? he has shown before that he forgot stuff or got things wrong on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

She was extremely rude and downright ignorant at times. Rolling her eyes like Kevin and Perry when Dermot was talking made her look like a right childish bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If Dermot wants to give up the day job, he wanted to be a pilot one time
    Am I the only one who made very inappropriate joke about architects who occasionally end up on tv and like planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

e has shown before that he forgot stuff or got things wrong on the show.

That is exactly why this jury would tend to believe him. :D

She strikes me as somebody who is very willing to dig a hole and finds it difficult to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

On tonight's episode ( two storey house on farm )

I didn't see all of this, but I thought the dispute towards the end between Bannon and the client over the floor in the g f living space was contrived. She wanted tiles, Bannon wanted timber. Their discussion seemed to be scripted.

I also see a large picture window appeared in the frontage of rebuilt extension. Clashes with the existing windows in the rest of frontage. Many town planners would not be happy, Missed discussion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Yep .....and exactly the same things happening with First Dates- people being shredded on social media ....it will be the downfall of a lot of these programmes.

That being said that girl tonight was extremely rude . There is a way of getting your point across and being assertive . Dermot did well to be as graceful about it as he was.

I’d say she’ll look back programme in years to come and regret what she said & how she came across .

The issue with room to improve is the people taking part usually have no construction or television experience and are made look foolish for the basis of television.

It is the job of the architect and other professionals to lay out the best options and enable the client make informed decisions.

I don't know. She didn't call him any names, she just insisted she had been shown a different sample, and I'm not sure I trust Dermot's word that it absolutely was the same sample.

Why trust Dermot more than her ? he has shown before that he forgot stuff or got things wrong on the show.

thats fair enough too. he has a history of tweeking stuff behind the customers back.

but saying that why not look at the paperwork and see if its what was ordered

yabadabado wrote: »
    She was extremely rude and downright ignorant at times. Rolling her eyes like Kevin and Perry when Dermot was talking made her look like a right childish bitch.

Your perception of rude is not the same as mine then.
    She did exactly what I often think whenever I do get to watch the show.

I think people started taking offense on behalf of Dermot when she gave him 1 out of 10 for the drawings.

After that she was just plainly speaking her mind, not sugarcoating things, and clearly letting him know that some of his gimmicks were absolutely not a priority for her, that they were the ones who were going to be living in the house, and that their needs and wants were more important than Dermot's enthusiasm for particular architectural features.

She never once insulted him, she just spoke her mind. That "S" word comes to mind when I see people getting all riled up about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

No she won’t! I’ve the misfortune of dealing with her father on a few occasions in a professional capacity....let’s just say ‘she didn’t lick it off a stone’!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I watched this with a teacher tonight and she said she was like a lot of the teacher she knows.

That is exactly why this jury would tend to believe him. :D

She strikes me as somebody who is very willing to dig a hole and finds it difficult to get out of it.

Well possible too, and that's what made the conflict good tv, well balanced in that Dermot had to come to terms with someone who was absolutely not going to accept his vision entirely, and she was caught out on that particular thing, and the oak staircase (on which they actually compromised off-set) imo.

It's good to show/be shown real people, warts and all, and not just the usual script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well possible too, and that's what made the conflict good tv, well balanced in that Dermot had to come to terms with someone who was absolutely not going to accept his vision entirely, and she was caught out on that particular thing, and the oak staircase (on which they actually compromised off-set) imo.

It's good to show/be shown real people, warts and all, and not just the usual script.

I think her rudeness was not just accepting that she got the window colour wrong. She had her chance to accept the blame on it. She insisted on insinuating a professional would lie about it and change the sample. I would find that a walk away issue tbh.

• Advertisement

I watched this with a teacher tonight and she said she was like a lot of the teacher she knows.

Assertive ?
    Confident ?
    Analytical of their own needs, and takes decisions in consequence ?
    Able to say "no" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement