Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

nobody believes that speal about the customer is always right.
    they very rarely are, they are usually completely wrong on so many level its a joke. the trick is twisting it around so that you are rigth but they think they are

You can lead a horse to water and all that jazz. I've encountered similar issues, if clients won't listen fair enough.It's their money not mine which is being wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I don't know. She didn't call him any names, she just insisted she had been shown a different sample, and I'm not sure I trust Dermot's word that it absolutely was the same sample.

Why trust Dermot more than her ? he has shown before that he forgot stuff or got things wrong on the show.
    But he has always said ... ah yeah i order those because they match x or y better... here he straight away said but thats the color you picked...

I think there was a telling line early on where she said something along the lines of 'even if dermot is right i'll have to stick to my guns its gone too far to back down'
    So if hes right shell go against him for fear of loosing face?! Is she 12 or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Well possible too, and that's what made the conflict good tv, well balanced in that Dermot had to come to terms with someone who was absolutely not going to accept his vision entirely, and she was caught out on that particular thing, and the oak staircase (on which they actually compromised off-set) imo.

It's good to show/be shown real people, warts and all, and not just the usual script.

the problem isnt that she wouldnt accept his vision . it is that she flatly refused to take on board the vision of the guy that is paid to produce that vision. he can only go on what she wants (husband seemed to have no say) and tells him. if she wants xyz then tell him that.

she didnt want the usuall dermot designed house. all his houses follow the same rough ideals. she wanted something else so why didnt she get an architect that does what she wants.

you dont go into burgerking and tell them their icecream isnt the same as a mc flurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    But he has always said ... ah yeah i order those because they match x or y better... here he straight away said but thats the color you picked...

I think there was a telling line early on where she said something along the lines of 'even if dermot is right i'll have to stick to my guns its gone too far to back down'
    So if hes right shell go against him for fear of loosing face?! Is she 12 or what?

That was her way of admitting she was wrong on camera...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Yep .....and exactly the same things happening with First Dates- people being shredded on social media ....it will be the downfall of a lot of these programmes.

That being said that girl tonight was extremely rude . There is a way of getting your point across and being assertive . Dermot did well to be as graceful about it as he was.

I’d say she’ll look back programme in years to come and regret what she said & how she came across .

I don't see it as the fault of the programme (or first dates) , its what society thinks is now acceptable to do. Not saying in any way its right but if the majority taught it was wrong it wouldn't catch flame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I thought the girl tonight was rude. I agree with her completely about open plan but there was no need to speak to Dermot how she did. But the comments on twitter and some here are way over the top. The very people criticising her poor behaviour are making nasty abusive comments about her and the husband too. These people need to look in the mirror. They too are making a show of themselves on a public forum.

the problem isnt that she wouldnt accept his vision . it is that she flatly refused to take on board the vision of the guy that is paid to produce that vision. he can only go on what she wants (husband seemed to have no say) and tells him. if she wants xyz then tell him that.

she didnt want the usuall dermot designed house. all his houses follow the same rough ideals. she wanted something else so why didnt she get an architect that does what she wants.

you dont go into burgerking and tell them their icecream isnt the same as a mc flurry.

But she said she told him she wanted a room with a single door that you could close, and even referred to a room in her old home that had 3 or 4 doors going into it.

Did he respect that in his plan ?
    Nope.
    He pushed and pushed and pushed for open plan.

I get that she shouldn't have applied for the show, there isn't a hope in hell I'd have had Dermot working on my house when we were renovating. There must be incentives for them to go with the show, or maybe like I said above, it's just hope that a professional may in fact deliver a vision that ticks all the client's boxes, not just his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Assertive ?
    Confident ?
    Analytical of their own needs, and takes decisions in consequence ?
    Able to say "no" ?

Let's not mistake confident and assertive with ignorance and rude.

She was belittling and she has the right husband for her, he couldn't give a toss what shes like once the dinner is on the table.

Inside 2 yrs she got well in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,754 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Assertive ?
    Confident ?
    Analytical of their own needs, and takes decisions in consequence ?
    Able to say "no" ?

The teacher I watched this with said she didn't like the woman at all. She's worked with similar people in the past and she said she wouldn't like to be working with her from working with similar people in the past mainly due to how closed minded she was. It was her way or no way.
    An example would be An expert in a certain area would be asked to speak to the teachers and some teachers would be totally closed minded and take nothing on board because they know best because there in charge and the boss even if they are proven wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't be nice for her to see everyone on here running her down and making fun of her.
    She's probably on here reading all this. Probably a Boardies too .

It's just a show, edited for dramatics and to get responses . None of us know her, she's just a normal lovely girl in reality no doubt.

• Advertisement

But she said she told him she wanted a room with a single door that you could close, and even referred to a room in her old home that had 3 or 4 doors going into it.

Nope.

I get that she shouldn't have applied for the show, there isn't a hope in hell I'd have had Dermot working on my house when we were renovating. There must be incentives for them to go with the show, or maybe like I said above, it's just hope that a professional may in fact deliver a vision that ticks all the client's boxes, not just his.

there is whole other sitting room at the other side of the house to sit in . it has only one door and did so from the ver start. it is the one that thye plan to turn into a downstairs bedroom if they eve end up crippled or not able to make it upstairs.

i actually liked the doors at the end . it made it a bit more of a snug room to chill out in but still be near the kitchen. i wouldnt have done the double stud and pocket doors. 4 doors that opend back to completley open the space would have been better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Nope.

He gave them the parlour .... with one door

I thought that Dermot was very wrong in saying that the whole point he was there was to give his opinion.

He's wanted as an architect for his expertise, his opinion really should not be that important.

Imo an architect has all the technical knowledge to propose options that are within regulations and budget, and answer the clients' needs first and foremost.

How this has been morphed into one man imposing his concepts on all and sundry is puzzling. Or maybe not. That's controversial, and meant to be for tv.

Can't be nice for her to see everyone on here running her down and making fun of her.

It's just a show, edited for dramatics and to get responses . None of us know her, she's just a normal lovely girl in reality no doubt.

thats fair enough but we can only comment on what we see. if its accurate then what can she complain about. if its not then take it up with the makers of the programme.

if you dont want to be thought of as being rude and horrible then dont be like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I get what you are saying. But she did make a big deal about her right to say what she felt.

I have no problem with people having strong opinions but there is also respect and manners in any client-professional relationship. Marking his first plan as a 1 out of 10 was awfully disrespectful imo.

I thought that Dermot was very wrong in saying that the whole point he was there was to give his opinion.

He's wanted as an architect for his expertise, his opinion really should not be that important.

Imo an architect has all the technical knowledge to propose options that are within regulations and budget, and answer the clients' needs first and foremost.

How this has been morphed into one man imposing his concepts on all and sundry is puzzling. Or maybe not. That's controversial, and meant to be for tv.

His drawing and plans he did up originally was Dermot's expertise but the woman didn't want this.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    He gave them the parlour .... with one door

Because and after she put her foot down.

thats the whole premus of the programme.
    dermot isnt being an architect he is being a designer.

he is in houses everyday , he sees all kinds of ways of building and design ideas. he has years of experience that any builde would love to have.
    his opinion is very important and should be sought at every opertunity

no it was always there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Surely architects can take instruction as well as give advice. DB doesn’t have to always produce open plan.

• Advertisement

They were going to get or the down stairs bedroom anyway but not both! He wasn't really going to do much to that room.

Surely architects can take instruction as well as give advice. DB doesn’t have to always produce open plan.

of course not. he should do what the customer wants but has shouldnt have to put his name to something that isnt in his portfolio. if she wanted something completely diferent to what demot has in his portfolio then she should go else where

His drawing and plans he did up originally was Dermot's expertise but the woman didn't want this.

That's because he had gone ahead with his vision and disregarded whatever requests she might have had.

Say you're in a restaurant where the chef may decide what to cook, but he has to take on board your requests/needs.
    You tell the chef you do not want beetroot or aubergine, but he comes up with beetroot and goat's cheese salad and moussaka on the menu and assures you everyone else loves these dishes, and you should totally go with it because he thinks you're going to love it. He's the expert, but there is a reasonable debate to be had on whether or not you want to go with it.

That's because he had gone ahead with his vision and disregarded whatever requests she might have had.

Say you're in a restaurant where the chef may decide what to cook, but he has to take on board your requests/needs.
    You tell the chef you do not want beetroot or aubergine, but he comes up with beetroot and goat's cheese salad and moussaka on the menu and assures you everyone else loves these dishes, and you should totally go with it because he thinks you're going to love it. He's the expert, but there is a reasonable debate to be had on whether or not you want to go with it.

they specifically asked for the front room and he delivered it.

of course you can go into a chinese(for example) and ask for no beetroot. you cant go in and ask for a pizza.

She said she wanted the kitchen to be the heart of the house. She got the kitchen in a big open plan room surrounded by the dinning area and living area. She also got her living room/palour with the closed door.
    If I went into that restaurant I'd be willing to try the salad because I'm open minded to things. If it was my mother tough she wouldn't go their in the first place because she'd now it wouldn't be for her.
    This woman knew she didn't want open plan living and still decided she wanted Dermot as an architect and this is what he's known for.

of course not. he should do what the customer wants but has shouldnt have to put his name to something that isnt in his portfolio. if she wanted something completely diferent to what demot has in his portfolio then she should go else where

I'm not sure I've seen Dermot pitched as just a designer, as far as I know he is pitched as both architect and designer on the program.

I have to go to sleep, but anyway, I think possibly it's ingrained in the Irish psyche, this notion that the "little people" don't know, and should trust the professionals always. Like the old style attitudes of trusting your doctor no matter what, even trusting that the neighbours are right to paint their living room terracotta and that you should be doing it too.

The poor woman is getting a right doing but I think it was good to show someone who just wasn't going to go along with the script, which in an ironical twist, was the smart script for tonight's show.

they specifically asked for the front room and he delivered it.

of course you can go into a chinese(for example) and ask for no beetroot. you cant go in and ask for a pizza.

That's nothing to do with the example I gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Yep .....and exactly the same things happening with First Dates- people being shredded on social media ....it will be the downfall of a lot of these programmes.

That being said that girl tonight was extremely rude . There is a way of getting your point across and being assertive . Dermot did well to be as graceful about it as he was.

I’d say she’ll look back programme in years to come and regret what she said & how she came across .

Dermot now looks at the twitter on Sun nite & so does Lisa, but they didn't at first, but were aware of people telling them or on the street.

So he's aware of what the reaction will be, as yer wan may have been assertive, but sadly lacked the manners that go along with it.

I don't know if yer wan Katie is on social media, but i'd say it's tough to be in it now in the public eye!
    I tried out twitter once for an amazon offer, but don't have time for it & Feckbook!
    But i'd say these aren't the worst messages if you get one's sent to you that's not in a hashtag :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm not sure I've seen Dermot pitched as just a designer, as far as I know he is pitched as both architect and designer on the program.

I have to go to sleep, but anyway, I think possibly it's ingrained in the Irish psyche, this notion that the "little people" don't know, and should trust the professionals always. Like the old style attitudes of trusting your doctor no matter what, even trusting that the neighbours are right to paint their living room terracotta and that you should be doing it too.

The poor woman is getting a right doing but I think it was good to show someone who just wasn't going to go along with the script, which in an ironical twist, was the smart script for tonight's show.

There are debates and confrontations over ideas in a lot of the series, this lady just handled them badly imo.

• Advertisement

There are debates and confrontations over ideas in a lot of the series, this lady just handled them badly imo.

Because she stood her ground ! that's the offensive thing here. She wouldn't be swayed, and she didn't tip toe around it.

Sorry, i really have to post and run, have been meaning to switch off ages ago.

I get the people saying she shouldn't have signed on for the show, that's really the bottom line I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement