Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lawred2 wrote: »
    what is a parlour room anyway?

a good room where people used to bring the priest in for a cup of tea ! No one else could use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

what is a parlour room anyway?

Afaik just an older term for a sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why does Dermot always do renovations or bitty extensions.

If he's so passionate about showing off his style, why isn't there a RTI client with a plot asking him to build from scratch?

I know builders around the tipp. area who would have easily levelled that house and built a better and bigger house for 200k. 3 tiny bedrooms was a joke. The lad had acres of space, Dermot treated it like a terraced house in Dublin with feck all options

The show is called Room To Improve. It's specifically aimed at extending and renovating existing houses. Knocking an existing house to build a new one or just starting from a greenfield site would be antithetical to the premise of the show.

Also, you wouldn't have built a better and bigger house for 200k. Taking the SCSI House Rebuilding Calculator as a guide and using Waterford as the nearest comparative area (and lowest rates for the purposes of this example), for 200k at €1,458/m² you'd be able to build 137m². That'd just about be enough for the ground floor only with no first floor and that's with pretty standard/basic level of finishes. Plus those figures are August 2017. Rates have risen probably by almost 5% since then too.

https://www.scsi.ie/documents/get_lob?id=56&field=file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    a good room where people used to bring the priest in for a cup of tea ! No one else could use it

It's where you use the good china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »

ah my Nan had one of those

was bleedin baltic in there... it also had a china cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just catching up on this now. I'm not Dermot's biggest fan, but I felt sorry for him last night. Katie was downright rude and ignorant. You can be firm and get your point across, but you can do it politely. You don't need to be so condescending, like she was.
    Much as I feel sorry for Dermot, my real sympathies lie with the poor husband. The phrase 'under the thumb' springs to mind.
    If that's what she's like with adults, I'd hate to be one of the poor kids that she teaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's rare that you come across a lad who has been that beaten down- even when asked to rate Dermot at the end he nearly sh*t himself incase he gave the wrong answer and so just told her to answer instead
    No, I'd say he just doesn't care much about what's in the house. He would have been quite content living in the unimproved house and I reckon he just sees it as a functional space to sleep and eat in. Especially as he would be spending most of his time outside the house anyway.

I don't get the 'hate' for either person, tbh. They have a relationship that works to their satisfaction and they are perfectly content with it. More power to them and I hope they enjoy their refurbished house for many long years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

heldel00 wrote: »
    Ah lads, same as everything in this house she is stuck in the past. She is a real aul bossy boots "Is mise an múinteoir" but please don't tar all teachers with the same brush.
    We're not all raving aul biddies!

Yeah. Right:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If the home owner could have shown the graciousness about the house he delivered that he showed for the china cabinets then we all could have lived happily ever after.

She wasn't very gracious and seemed to need to 'win'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Penn wrote: »
    I thought the clients were great. Ultimately, you have an idea what you want before bringing in Dermot in order to give him a brief to work with.

They should be hiring a suitable architect if that was their plan. It's like walking into a high end restaurant and then demanding the deep fry your fish like you usually get in the chipper. If you wanted chipper food, go to the chipper. Don't go to the restaurant and complain because they product being delivered is different that what you wanted.

People need to realise that every architect is different, with massive variances in style, so they need to research before hiring one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

No, I'd say he just doesn't care much about what's in the house. He would have been quite content living in the unimproved house and I reckon he just sees it as a functional space to sleep and eat in. Especially as he would be spending most of his time outside the house anyway.

I don't get the 'hate' for either person, tbh. They have a relationship that works to their satisfaction and they are perfectly content with it. More power to them and I hope they enjoy their refurbished house for many long years.

Disliking someone’s attitude when they show themselves to be obnoxious, petty and aggressive is not being a ‘hater’- it’s being, relatively, normal.

I don’t hate the woman at all- I just really disliked her attitude

If I was in a restaurant/shop and someone was behaving like that towards staff then if not be too happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quazzie wrote: »
    They should be hiring a suitable architect if that was their plan. It's like walking into a high end restaurant and then demanding the deep fry your fish like you usually get in the chipper. If you wanted chipper food, go to the chipper. Don't go to the restaurant and complain because they product being delivered is different that what you wanted.

People need to realise that every architect is different, with massive variances in style, so they need to research before hiring one.

But ultimately, you don't know what design Dermot (or any architect) is going to come up with. They asked him for certain things and in his initial design, he didn't include them. He didn't fully follow the brief he was given, which he likely could have even as part of his initial design. He had a huge rooflight over the side extension and a different type of cladding on the rear extension. Had he taken those out, he may have been able to build the additional bedroom on the first floor and included a wall to close off the living room and still remained within budget (or close enough that they may have been okay with it). It seems like that is what they ended up going with in the end (as the rooflight was gone and they didn't show the rear of the house so it's likely the finish/design of it was very plain).

But considering they're not the experts in how much the project would cost, Dermot sacrificed things from their brief to enhance his design. They couldn't have known he would do that before hiring him, because they were hoping he could meet their brief, with his design features, within budget.

It wasn't the style of Dermot's design they were unhappy with, it was losing things they had wanted in their brief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The lengths some lads will take "happy wife, quiet life" to are incredible... Katie was a typical bully and I'm glad she's not teaching my kids. Would feel very sorry for the husband, he's going to have a *long* life or end up losing the family farm if he ever stands up to her. The comments on the mother seemed a little unfair though, sure, she was a total throwback to an earlier time of china cabinets and dressing up to the nine's for the priest's visit but she seemed perfectly friendly and polite. The daughter may have picked up a few of her tastes but clearly missed out on her manners.

What can you say about the house? The kitchen was nice. though I'd have solid doors on the "china" cabinets - they made her home look like a tourist trap gift shop.

A "broken plan" solution with quadruple width bi-folding doors would have worked much better than the pokey sliding ones in the infamous "wall".

But ultimately, you don't know what design Dermot (or any architect) is going to come up with. They asked him for certain things and in his initial design, he didn't include them. He didn't fully follow the brief he was given, which he likely could have even as part of his initial design. He had a huge rooflight over the side extension and a different type of cladding on the rear extension. Had he taken those out, he may have been able to build the additional bedroom on the first floor and included a wall to close off the living room and still remained within budget (or close enough that they may have been okay with it). It seems like that is what they ended up going with in the end (as the rooflight was gone and they didn't show the rear of the house so it's likely the finish/design of it was very plain).

But considering they're not the experts in how much the project would cost, Dermot sacrificed things from their brief to enhance his design. They couldn't have known he would do that before hiring him, because they were hoping he could meet their brief, with his design features, within budget.

It wasn't the style of Dermot's design they were unhappy with, it was losing things they had wanted in their brief.

The "design" they were going for, could've been provided by any local engineer who could produce drawings exactly like the client wanted. She didn't need Dermot, so perhaps it was just the bit of TV time they wanted?

Dermot's aim, like most architects is to provide a livable space which fits in around the needs of the client. He done that with his initial design, while also staying true to himself and his design philosophies.

This is another reason why the show shouldn't centre on Dermot, or at least include guest architects every week because then you can have a wider range of designs and also a wider range of clients. We're at a stage, where the subset of people who both want a Dermot Bannon style house, and who want to appear on TV is saturated, so now we're with people who just want to be on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I think at the end of the day it is a reality show .. so the more controversy the best . Who knows what part the bossy teacher was expected to play in the latest RTI.. .I know other reality TV shows are largely scripted. so I don't pay a lot of attention to the actual show.

That said that woman seemed to be very antagonistic, the husband a door mat and Dermot a know it all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭memorystick

Addle wrote: »
    I didn't like her. And I did think she's typical of many who enter the primary teaching profession.
    But I don't think she deserves all the abuse.

I bet you €50 she'll be on the late late next week to discuss the online abuse. She might even get a sick cert out of it. Stress and all that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Can I ask a question here ?

Surely to God ,Budda , whoever , when people apply to go on the show , there are some meetings , discussions about exactly what they want done to their house , BEFORE the producers pick who gets to be filmed ?

It can't be as simple as Mr and Mrs Whoever applied , lets go with them ?

Or am I completely out of the loop here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question here ?

Surely to God ,Budda , whoever , when people apply to go on the show , there are some meetings , discussions about exactly what they want done to their house , BEFORE the producers pick who gets to be filmed ?

It can't be as simple as Mr and Mrs Whoever applied , lets go with them ?

Or am I completely out of the loop here..

you'd wonder whether the production company and Dermot have come up with the ingenious plan to deliberately design something at odds with the brief (even if a small difference) simply to generate drama..

Surely Dermot doesn't ignore each and every client's wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The "design" they were going for, could've been provided by any local engineer who could produce drawings exactly like the client wanted. She didn't need Dermot, so perhaps it was just the bit of TV time they wanted?

Dermot's aim, like most architects is to provide a livable space which fits in around the needs of the client. He done that with his initial design, while also staying true to himself and his design philosophies.

This is another reason why the show shouldn't centre on Dermot, or at least include guest architects every week because then you can have a wider range of designs and also a wider range of clients. We're at a stage, where the subset of people who both want a Dermot Bannon style house, and who want to appear on TV is saturated, so now we're with people who just want to be on TV.

You could say anyone who goes on these shows could go to any architect. However if I am paying for a do not give 2 f_$ks what there style is u give you a brief you stick by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

you'd wonder whether the production company and Dermot have come up with the ingenious plan to deliberately design something at odds with the brief (even if a small difference) simply to generate drama..

Yep , I have always thought the same .Its like the they say they dont like green so he can paint it green and then wonder of all wonders they LOVE it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There has to be some sort of audition for it, surely?

That or someone submits a rough initial plan and dream for the existing property along with a decent set photos and the producers go with whats the most interesting story/house/couple.

I'd be surprised if Bannon has an input into what projects he takes on other than rocking up on the day to meet the clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

That's exactly how I see it tbh .

Otherwise every house would be the same open plan design that Dermot loves every week .

I give up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

The hubby was promised a dowry of a field with a cow in it.

4 years later he is still waiting to get the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect it's a mix of things - the story behind the build ("Me Mammy is sick and needs a new house"), the character of the applicants ("She's fiery, this'll be fun"), and the actual build itself; how appealing it may be to Dermot to do the design, and how it'll come across on film.

Then they probably sit around a table and select the ones that they think will make the best TV.

I doubt there's much of an "audition" beyond a trip to CoCo's offices to meet the production team and chat to them for an hour.

I'd also say the number of applications is considerably less than you'd imagine. You still have to pay for the build yourself. Most people if they gave it proper thought wouldn't want to be followed around by cameras for a few months and appear on the telly for nothing in return. Maybe you get a discount on Dermot's price, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's a reality TV show first and foremost, everything else is secondary to that. Dermot is a TV character first and and an architect second. His refusal to follow briefs leads to conflict which when heavily edited leads to better TV. Do you think this show would be half as entertaining if he did what the clients asked him to do and kept projects on budget?

I work with Architects from large Irish and international firms regularly. As a profession it does attract a certain type, but at the end of the day they work as briefed to do, if they didn't their business would suffer.

You could say anyone who goes on these shows could go to any architect. However if I am paying for a do not give 2 f_$ks what there style is u give you a brief you stick by it

Bullshít. If that's your attitude it is obvious you have no idea what an architect actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

seamus wrote: »
    I expect it's a mix of things - the story behind the build ("Me Mammy is sick and needs a new house"), the character of the applicants ("She's fiery, this'll be fun"), and the actual build itself; how appealing it may be to Dermot to do the design, and how it'll come across on film.

Then they probably sit around a table and select the ones that they think will make the best TV.

I doubt there's much of an "audition" beyond a trip to CoCo's offices to meet the production team and chat to them for an hour.

I'd also say the number of applications is considerably less than you'd imagine. You still have to pay for the build yourself. Most people if they gave it proper thought wouldn't want to be followed around by cameras for a few months and appear on the telly for nothing in return. Maybe you get a discount on Dermot's price, I dunno.

Probably the number of applicants is what is filmed. Dermot is paid by the production company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Bullshít. If that's your attitude it is obvious you have no idea what an architect actually is.

Don’t architects have to follow briefs? I know some people might give a simple overview of what they need (more light, more space) and others may be more detailed.

I don’t buy that there’s architects who only do open plan. If so they should make it clear before producing any plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why hire an architect at all then?

Architects are designers, first and foremost. When you hire a designer, you give them a broad outline and they transform that into a design.

If you have a very specific idea of exactly what you want it to look like, you don't hire a designer and then complain when they've used their own ideas.

You pay an architect money for their ideas, not their ability to draw straight lines. If you don't want ideas, don't hire an architect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement