Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

For her sake i hope shes busy watching tv in her snug room or making tea in china cups rather than reading this.
    Is it the most talked about episode ever?

It’s up there with yer one who made her hubby keep his all Ireland hurling medals hidden and proudly showed off his testicles in a glass box on the mantle piece. From Tipp too. Wonder if there’s something in the water there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s up there with yer one who made her hubby keep his all Ireland hurling medals hidden and proudly showed off his testicles in a glass box on the mantle piece. From Tipp too. Wonder if there’s something in the water there

WTFF ? :eek::eek::eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'd well believe her. I don't think the show gives a fully accurate account of any of the participants personalities, or even the building/designing process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd be severely critical of the producer and editors for choosing to make somebody look bad just so they can have the appearance of conflict in the show. They are playing with real people who didn't sign up for that treatment.

Dermot has the advantage of experience, and knowing how the programme works. His clients don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

recipio wrote: »
    In a previous life I used to do a lot of house calls to farmhouses. You wouldn't believe how people still live in rural Ireland.........

How "some" people still live in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'd be severely critical of the producer and editors for choosing to make somebody look bad just so they can have the appearance of conflict in the show. They are playing with real people who didn't sign up for that treatment.

Dermot has the advantage of experience, and knowing how the programme works. His clients don't.
    We dont know if they did make her look bad or if she did that all by herself. No one forced her to say what she did or act the way she did though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be honest my only concern for the woman is she isn't lonely in the big done up house. I think her mother had lots of friends/family around in Limerick think it was urban and it would be a lot more populated than where she is now.

To be honest my only concern for the woman is she isn't lonely in the big done up house. I think her mother had lots of friends/family around in Limerick think it was urban and it would be a lot more populated than where she is now.

Where's the house Freshpopcorn did/do they say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where's the house Freshpopcorn did/do they say ?

It's in rural county Tipperary all they really siad was it was over looking the Galtee's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't often watch RTI but I'd heard so much about this episode over the past few days that I had to watch it. I was expecting an awful woman and I just didn't really see it. First off, she was right. The kitchen was huge, there was no need for it to be even bigger with a couch down at the bottom. It would have looked stupid. And in a few years there is every likelihood that little sitting room will be rammed with toys and the ability to shut the door on the mess, will be very welcome. And a decade and a bit after that, there will be teenagers mooching about watching the 2031 equivalent of Netflix and the ability to shut the door on their mess will be very welcome. A big kitchen-diner, a sitting-room and a playroom/teen den is a fantastic layout for a family.

Secondly, I got the impression, especially at the end, that they have fairly immediate plans for a downstairs bedroom. Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if there is already an infirm relative living with them or soon will be. Thirdly, Padraic seemed to have plenty of his own ideas and lines he wasn't willing to have crossed and Katie was speaking for both of them. Lastly, I felt that a lot of what she was saying was either very staged or extremely tongue in cheek. Her attempts at humour were in actuality very rude but I don't think she meant them as badly as they came across. I'm sure she was a bit of a bossy pita to work with and I wouldn't ever want someone like her to have any sort of position of authority over my child. But all in all, she wasn't a fraction as bad as I was expecting and I've met many a worse teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/go-back-to-dublin-with-yourself-dermot-bannon-we-re-grand-here-in-the-dark-1.3443289

This article made me laugh !

The penultimate episode (last Sunday, RTÉ One) is a classic. Dermot is faced with his worst enemy, farm folk who have no truck with his metropolitan notions. Bigger windows? An open-plan kitchen-cum-diningroom? Natural light? Would you go back to Dublin with yourself, we’re grand here in the dark. Over the course of the show, china-collecting teacher Katie and taciturn farmer Pádraig slowly drive Dermot to the brink of madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

iamwhoiam wrote: »

The line about the greenhouse nearly killed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Finally got to watch all of programme. Lovely house at the end. The China cabinets are awful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/go-back-to-dublin-with-yourself-dermot-bannon-we-re-grand-here-in-the-dark-1.3443289

This article made me laugh !

The penultimate episode (last Sunday, RTÉ One) is a classic. Dermot is faced with his worst enemy, farm folk who have no truck with his metropolitan notions. Bigger windows? An open-plan kitchen-cum-diningroom? Natural light? Would you go back to Dublin with yourself, we’re grand here in the dark. Over the course of the show, china-collecting teacher Katie and taciturn farmer Pádraig slowly drive Dermot to the brink of madness.

That was a funny article.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tonight they agree with everything Dermot wants, he says he's not used to that. They even have the budget for what he wants to do, finishing on a high this year it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

This is Dermot when the clients don't agree with his (open) plan design ...

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Can’t believe it’s the last show tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Autosport wrote: »

I can confirm, it's true.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Tonight they agree with everything Dermot wants, he says he's not used to that. They even have the budget for what he wants to do, finishing on a high this year it seems.

Dammit I had no hankering for it, but since I saw it last week now I want to watch this one too.

edit : goes to show a bit of controversy works. Although I'm curious about the home improvements more than the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Think we’ll have Dermot fix with highlighted shows after this season finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

She wants open plan, Dermots ideal client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Autosport wrote: »

Last ever or last in this series?

M

An external balcony, my dream feature for a house.

M

Plenty of room out back to build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'd sit out on the balcony at the front of the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Too lovey dovey so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

where in Dublin is this house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Muahahaha wrote: »

Stillorgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Muahahaha wrote: »

Stillorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

They are future proofing the house so the kids have somewhere to live in 20 years when there are still no houses available to buy or rent.

There's a vote of confidence in Leo and co.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement