Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nice house but the cost was incredible. Do renovations/small extensions cost as much in other countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Think it was Hicken Lighting, location no idea.

I think its on the quays in Dublin . Down the hill from Thomas St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

That ensuite is a disgrace. How the he'll did it get planning permission. Also looks like it blocked part of one of bedroom windows which is stupid. Yes nice that you could see the sky inside but not worth it. Did no one else think kids bedrooms looked very small ? If all about future proofing the house they won't last long in them. Thought parts of kitchen looked cheap like bookshelf + that horrible light over island like skinny strip light. Liked the blob lights until I saw horrible white plastic bit at top which is a pet hate of mine. For all the money spent not mad about this one at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My friends boyfriend sister had Dermot design her house. They’re not on the show but he designed a magnificent mansion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Bad value for €300,000. Was the glamorous QS asleep on the job?

That "pod" at the back looks terrible. Surprised that it, and the changes to front elevation go thru planning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I'd love to know too.

Hicken lighting according to Dermot on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think it was Hicken Lighting, location no idea.

ah right, Merchants Quay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Watching it on the +1

That bathroom is an abomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Watching it on the +1

That bathroom is an abomination

i like the glass roof though.
    inside and outside was horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like the house including the bathroom. I might not go with white marble/white marble effect tiles. It either easily stains if it's marble and I don't like marble effect tiles if it's tiles. Otherwise I think it's styled very well and space works. It's probably my favourite in this season (I haven't seen one I think).

Edit: I love the windows and door. They really work with the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Was that door custom made to match the sketch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nermal wrote: »
    Was that door custom made to match the sketch?

I think so. It works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Thought the house turned out really nice in the end. I even loved the big red island. The bathroom "pod" didn't bother me. No matter what way you designed it it was going to look awkward so I can see why dermot whet with a design to make it look separate from the house. I wasn't a fan of the tile in the bathroom but man, a skylight over my shower was a luxury I didn't know I needed

The one thing I found odd was the mudroom and utility situation. Seemed like a waste to have two separate rooms when the utility can function as a mudroom. The utility could have then become a downstairs bathroom. All the money the put into that house and it doesn't even have a downstairs bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’d say this’ll end up will north of €300k at the end. €1.1 on a 3 bed semi in Stillorgan. Jaysus.

Is it a 3 bed or 4 bed? I thought it was a 4 bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i thought there was a downstairs toilet going in the garage.

i agree about the mud room and utility. surely having it all one room , even an L shaped room would work a lot better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thought it was lovely but holy Jesus the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Apologies if this is a bit of a dipso question but what does FIL stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Apologies if this is a bit of a dipso question but what does FIL stand for?

Most of the time I see FIL used it's for father in law.(Unsure of the context)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I'm surprised RTE don't sell Room To Improve to UK tv channels.

It’s no Grand Designs so they’d struggle. There’s nothing greatly original about Room To Improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Most of the time I see FIL used it's for father in law.(Unsure of the context)

FIL = Finished Floor Level.

Expensive pad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

noveltea wrote: »
    Only thing with the bathroom, is cleaning bird poop off it be a pain.

Might be that self-cleaning glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gooner99 wrote: »
    FIL = Finished Floor Level.

Expensive pad

FFL = Finished Floor Level.

300k doesn't seem out of the way considering they more or less demolished and rebuilt what was a very fine house that looked to be well finished & furnished.

Very wasteful IMO....

Quantity surveyor is gorgeous, a classy lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Anyone else having issues accessing the show on the i player?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

What is really annoying is that there is some time given to showing and explaining the initial design along with the cost.

Then there is a 5 second narrative saying after some “tweaks” to the design the build starts with a much higher budget. They should show with them or at the end the final layout in a similar 3D way to give a complete view of what the final product or agreed design looks like.

The program should be showing what the final design they are aiming to build. It was the same last week - no information given as to what the upstairs was.

The dramatic increase in cost this week abovedeots initial design seemed to be building above the garage. This required the roof to be altered which would have been fairly expensive. And they seemed to increase the bedroom sizes rather then add one which to me is a better idea especially as they got the attic done as well in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't think the money was a waste considering they stripped it all back and did EVERYTHING from scratch, that costs a lot of money.
    I think the outcome was fabulous, the red island wasn't my thing simply because red isn't my colour but it suited the room. The open plan back had a lovely layout. Also in my opinion the bathroom was unusual but turned out pretty well (I just cringed at the thought of cleaning the matte black shower head and knobs).

If they can justify to spend that money, that's fine, that kind of money doesn't matter when you plan to live there for the rest of your life really and have the prospect of future-proofing the home, that was actually quite a smart thing to do.
    Our house isn't worth much but I'd still splash out renovating it than moving to another house here in the area simply because I like that very house we're living in, the view, the neighbors. You spend that money because you don't wanna move and rather create something for the long-term.
    They did a good job and a lot of the "arguments" they had, I have to say Dermot was right about most things he brought up yesterday, especially the door placement, I was surprised the clients didn't see his point for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Fab house.
    How was it a surprise to her how the front door would open?!
    Surely that was proposed as a solution at some stage during all the discussions about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would love a series for us ordinary divils . Tight budgets with no leeways , small semi d's with small gardens and how you get around increasing floor space . Apartments with a small budget and show how to gain space by using the whole room and raising furniture etc
    A series for the majority who don't have 300k on tap for a total renovation
    Apart from Ikea it is not easy to find appropriate furniture for small spaces and in my opinion with the huge increase in apartment living there is a gap in the market .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Addle wrote: »
    Fab house.
    How was it a surprise to her how the front door would open?!
    Surely that was proposed as a solution at some stage during all the discussions about it.

Their would be a certain amount of acting/faux surprise for production values

• Advertisement

Found Dermot so irritating in this episode for some reason! Maybe it’s my hangover!

That episode was pure escapism with that money. Turned out lovely and I do love the marble effect in the ensuite!
    I really wish they would spend more time on the reveal. It’s literally five minutes of a few shots of the place. I practically have to pause it to get a good look!!
    Lovely couple, I was a little weak for the husband if I’m honest! He just seemed such a lovely guy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement