Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

jvan wrote: »
    Strange, I never associate taking a trade as a class thing. Maybe this type of view is why kids are stepping away from them. I know of tradesmen who are earning more than people with university degrees.

This kind of view was always there. People whose parents went to university tend to go to university. Anyway this is derailing the thread so last post from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

James 007 wrote: »
    , Could you link the planning permission as I tried to check it on line and couldn't find it. Leaving a side entrance for the bins to come through was ridiculous. My Uncle incorporated his side entrance so it became part of the house, and its by far better. His back door has a doggy door if the dog wants to go outside. Usually a lot of rainwater, moss would build up in this area, so better to make it one continuous hallway.

i dont see how removing the side acess just for 2 feet would be worth it. there is a big garden back there . you would end up bringing lawnmowers, wheelbarrow, plants, sheds, wheelybins etc through the house .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Strange, I never associate taking a trade as a class thing. Maybe this type of view is why kids are stepping away from them. I know of tradesmen who are earning more than people with university degrees.

Oh, tradesmen are considered working-class for sure where I’m from. My father is a tradesman and we were considered a working-class family for sure. I’m from the rural west of Ireland. In a small community, it’s easy to figure out where you fall in the socioeconomic stratum.

If a builder was successful, they might breach the lower reaches of the middle class but that’s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

i dont see how removing the side acess just for 2 feet would be worth it. there is a big garden back there . you would end up bringing lawnmowers, wheelbarrow, plants, sheds, wheelybins etc through the house .
    You have mis-interpreted what we were saying, the entrance would still be on the side of the house, but would be sheltered rather than open to the elements. It suited this couple because they could access it too from the utility area or the dirty boot room similar to what my uncle has. You would still bring the lawnmower through the sheltered entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

James 007 wrote: »
    You have mis-interpreted what we were saying, the entrance would still be on the side of the house, but would be sheltered rather than open to the elements. It suited this couple because they could access it too from the utility area or the dirty boot room similar to what my uncle has. You would still bring the lawnmower through the sheltered entrance.

oh sorry. your proposing they should have extended the upstairs over the side access. then yes i would agree. great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Must look at show again and see if I can spot the side entrance even if it is covered in.

I know a few tradesmen of my vintage (early 40's) who went to work in factories, deliveries, and the like post-2008. They are reluctant to go back now. Some of them say that getting a pay cheque at the end of the week/month is a lot easier than chasing down clients for payment etc. A lot were owed money for jobs when the crash came, sometimes by people they knew and they don't want to go back to that.

Well there are plenty degrees that don't line the pocket. Plenty clerical officers etc with degrees on low money.

Trades are prone to boom & bust though.

You'll rarely see really well to do folk doing a trade insofar as the stereotypical Heino D4 swillers who marry a Sorcha generally aren't bricklayers etc. That's not to say you can't earn very decent cash as a tradesman.

oh sorry. your proposing they should have extended the upstairs over the side access. then yes i would agree. great idea
    Either that, or have it as a single storey structure if it was too complicated to build and incorporate it as two storey.

Watching it again now. I think I prefer clients with more opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Anyone else feel that the front door issue was just an invented problem to add some agro between Dermot and the clients.

Like last week and your one not liking open plan.
    Made it look like WW3 yet the double door solution was always there in reserve.

I think the directors/producers have a formula which requires at least one flash point per episode and they invent one if it doesn't happen naturally.

You surely don't think they add drama to a reality TV show to generate interest in the show, driving up ratings and advertising spend to get a better contract the year after to make no. No, It couldn't be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Anyone know what road its on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

irishguy wrote: »
    Anyone know what road its on?

I think somebody said it was Coolnevaun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

RTI withdrawal (& Bank Holiday!) led me to rewatching past episodes on the player. I had forgotten about a Portmarnock episode with Paul and Sabina. They were like last nights lovely couple and the house went way over budget. It was beautiful at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

lownhard wrote: »
    In short, No!

If you want proper architecture like that watch 100k house on the Beeb. Dermot wouldn't hold a candle to Piers Taylor. Different gravy in terms of clever thinking and budget solutions.

I love that programme! For one, he actually listens to what his client wants/needs. For another, he's extremely conscious of their budget :D He also doesn't shoehorn a white box, a courtyard and a double-space height to bring the outside in :pac: Definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Stillo...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In all the series I think the ugly en suite ( it looked like water tank ) must be the worst piece of ugly architecture yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I do love watching RTI and like Grand Designs, they have fairly substantial budgets to play with. Would love to see more modest houses and budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I do love watching RTI and like Grand Designs, they have fairly substantial budgets to play with. Would love to see more modest houses and budgets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I love that programme! For one, he actually listens to what his client wants/needs. For another, he's extremely conscious of their budget :D He also doesn't shoehorn a white box, a courtyard and a double-space height to bring the outside in :pac: Definitely worth a watch.

I’m going to check this show out!

I love how on Grand Designs, Kevin just stands back and narrates the build’s development. But I wondered was that just because he isn’t an architect.

So I’m intrigued to know that there’s a program featuring an architect who doesn’t make it all about themselves.

I presume the show has brought Dermot Bannon’s practice business but I have to say, I wouldn’t hire him based on this show. I know the drama is an affectation but I’d still be wary but in addition to that, he comes across a bit unimaginative. I wonder do different architectural practices have signature styles that they are known for though?Is that a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In all the series I think the ugly en suite ( it looked like water tank ) must be the worst piece of ugly architecture yet .

Ugly alright. Although the way it was stuck on and not worked into the property suggests it was a cheap 'prefab' option... never mind Dermot's spiel about him wanting an alien invasion something or other. Maybe it did cost more than an integrated solution, but it looks like a site office/shipping container on a building site if you want my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Ugly alright. Although the way it was stuck on and not worked into the property suggests it was a cheap 'prefab' option... never mind Dermot's spiel about him wanting an alien invasion something or other. Maybe it did cost more than an integrated solution, but it looks like a site office/shipping container on a building site if you want my opinion.

Well it'll make the house easy to spot on Google Maps next time they update the satellite imagery :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

But it would have cost a huge amount surely. Either to cantilever or else have to dig foundations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They showed it mid-build, it's just a timber-framed box attached to the back of the house.

I don't get it. It looks horrendous and will age terribly. Far from future-proofing the house, by the time the kids grow up they will absolutely hate this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I found Dermot very two faced in this episode in particular. Maybe because the clients seemed like genuine people. Every time he had a tiny issue with the clients and build, cue him standing in front of the camera bitching and whinging.

It happened about 10 different times and I got fed up of watching him standing in their back garden droning on.

I found this season of episodes very contrived. Always some kind of highfalutin drama for the cams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I found Dermot very two faced in this episode in particular. Maybe because the clients seemed like genuine people. Every time he had a tiny issue with the clients and build, cue him standing in front of the camera bitching and whinging.

It happened about 10 different times and I got fed up of watching him standing in their back garden droning on.

I found this season of episodes very contrived. Always some kind of highfalutin drama for the cams.
    I do think in this episode it was almost too easy.

"Here's some people with more than enough money for the build and easy-going enough to let everyone get on with their job. No, that won't do, we're going to need to stick some drama in."

At times it even seemed like there was no disagreement, but they asked them to stand outside and have a bit of aul debate cos it'd be good for the cameras.

For a build like that one, it would have been a lot more interesting to focus on the technical details than try and create tension which clearly didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I do wonder when a lot of the 'to camera' pieces are filmed?
    When do they decide that filler they'll need?

iamwhoiam wrote: »

First thing to go in the 2030 refurb.

Isn’t it odd that he hates “feature walls” aka a wall that isn’t white like everything else. Because “rubbish”.

Meanwhile a black tank on top of a one story extension is the height of sophistication.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    But it would have cost a huge amount surely. Either to cantilever or else have to dig foundations.
    It depends on what was opened up on site, for example was the garage wall replaced now that it became two storey, was the roof joists replaced etc., from what I recall I think they were but don't count me on this one. It may have been possible to put a steel frame supported off the inner leaf to support a lean to type roof. My uncle incorporated it as a two storey. He still brings his lawnmower and bins in and out of this passageway His passage way is tiled similar utility area. Its cleaner as you don't get your shoes dirty, whereas if you have a passage way open to the elements, then you need to change shoes all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement