Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have found this series very staged. I think the last two episodes in particular were just a step too far for me. The moany filler comments on the last episode were totally out of place given the conversations actually taking place - so contrived.

And much of the editing of the penultimate episode seemed out of sequence in order to portray maximum drama. In particular, the visit to the other house to show open plan that could be closed off after the wall was already in place in the Tipp house changes how many of the comments made would seem in context. Also Dermot tweeted a photo over a month previous showing that a camera man turned on the shower yet it was edited to blame Katie for maximum drama and predictable twitter outrage.

I think it's time for a different format and a different architect. I remember the days of Duncan Stewart doing renovations on Our House back in the early 90s. That got stale and this has too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

First thing to go in the 2030 refurb.

Isn’t it odd that he hates “feature walls” aka a wall that isn’t white like everything else. Because “rubbish”.

Meanwhile a black tank on top of a one story extension is the height of sophistication.

Emperors New Clothes came to mind !!
    " oh isn't the black container on the roof sooo cool "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

James 007 wrote: »
    It depends on what was opened up on site, for example was the garage wall replaced now that it became two storey, was the roof joists replaced etc.,

The post referenced was about extending the first floor over to the boundary to cover the passageway.
    It's not that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

The one thing I found about the alien bathroom was that it was too small and a bit claustrophobic. The window in the shower space was a poor design and the marble tiles remind me of the church alter marble. Large tiles would of looked better. As for the look of it, well no comment, it is an alien ship after all. The other thing did it need all the rewiring and plumbing. Some money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Effects wrote: »
    The post referenced was about extending the first floor over to the boundary to cover the passageway.
    It's not that easy.
    Its easy enough if the garage wall was taken down and put in a strip to accommodate a new wall up against the boundary. Most likely they had to do this to accommodate the two storey over the balcony. I would doubt if they underpinned the existing foundations, it would surely have cost more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m going to check this show out!

I love how on Grand Designs, Kevin just stands back and narrates the build’s development. But I wondered was that just because he isn’t an architect.

So I’m intrigued to know that there’s a program featuring an architect who doesn’t make it all about themselves.

I presume the show has brought Dermot Bannon’s practice business but I have to say, I wouldn’t hire him based on this show. I know the drama is an affectation but I’d still be wary but in addition to that, he comes across a bit unimaginative. I wonder do different architectural practices have signature styles that they are known for though?Is that a thing?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piers+taylor+the+house+that+100k+built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

George Clarke had a good series on C4 called "Ugly house to lovely house" and there was a big focus on getting a finish that looked much more expensive than it cost. Using different material or techniques etc.. but still get the same clean crisp finish.

With RTI I think for the most part Dermot will just use what he knows, it probably costs twice as much... but he is familiar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When the online discussion is better than the show, it's time for change.

My padre is perpetually amazed at how much steel goes into many of his houses. Thinks it makes them big lightning conductors.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    With RTI I think for the most part Dermot will just use what he knows, it probably costs twice as much... but he is familiar with it.

Absolutely. That’s what I mean about him lacking imagination. Or maybe he doesn’t lack it but has just got complacent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I'd hate to look out my back garden every day and look over a boundary wall to a alien bathroom on someone's roof .
    Thank God for the open country side .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I'd hate to look out my back garden every day and look over a boundary wall to a alien bathroom on someone's roof .

kerry cow wrote: »

We can't all live in the open countryside but there should be a bit of consideration by architects and neighbours . Looking at that " tank " on a neighbours roof would bother me I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We can't all live in the open countryside but there should be a bit of consideration by architects and neighbours . Looking at that " tank " on a neighbours roof would bother me I must say

If it would bother you why look at it?

Satellite dishes bother me so I try not to look at them. Simples. :D

If it would bother you why look at it?

Satellite dishes bother me so I try not to look at them. Simples. :D

Keep my eyes closed everytime I looked out the window ? Its a bit bigger than a satellite dish in fairness

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Keep my eyes closed everytime I looked out the window ? Its a bit bigger than a satellite dish in fairness

Na, I'm just saying that sometimes things can get under your skin if you let them. When you look out a window and have 180 degrees of sky/horizon in front of you why, unless you were literally a few metres directly in front would you want to focus on a box on a roof? IIRC the rear of the garden didn't have another house facing onto it and the whole area behind those houses in Coolnevaun is a convent with a great big empty field so no one can look out their window and be faced with the alien bathroom. The only people who can actually see it are neighbours who venture down the end of their own garden and then look back at the roof line as I'm sure some will just to show guests what the alien bathroom looks like in real life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The fake grecian pillars in bungalows offend me. You would have to move country to avoid them. That bathroom is far from the worst architectural offence.

My padre is perpetually amazed at how much steel goes into many of his houses. Thinks it makes them big lightning conductors.

What's his basis for that? Sounds like he knows little about science?

kerry cow wrote: »

The majority of people do not want to be boggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I'm all for trying out bold ideas while trying to marry existing structures with new elements ...but that alien pod just looks like the builders put their porta loo up on the flat roof out of the way and forgot to bring it with them to the next site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

meeeeh wrote: »
    The fake grecian pillars in bungalows offend me. You would have to move country to avoid them. That bathroom is far from the worst architectural offence.

What about the Doric columns in city Georgian buildings?

Arguably they are all fake. The real ones being a few thousand years old

Plenty of bungalows down the country are hideous, many are just fairly unobtrusive modern versions of cottages.

Effects wrote: »
    What's his basis for that? Sounds like he knows little about science?

Based on the fact that whilst the steel is covered, it’s relatively only lightly covered. And is a lightning conductor.

It’s not just high buildings that get hit. And what attracts lightning to big buildings is all the steel contained within.

I knew when I posted that that someone would come in swinging their mickey.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm all for trying out bold ideas while trying to marry existing structures with new elements ...but that alien pod just looks like the builders put their porta loo up on the flat roof out of the way and forgot to bring it with them to the next site.

Yep, when a permanent structure looks like a temporary structure, it's not good. Love the rest of the job he did there, but the pod thing kinda ruined it imo.

I'm still staggered by the fact that a house someone has spent €1.1m on in total can be a semi-detached! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What about the Doric columns in city Georgian buildings?

Arguably they are all fake. The real ones being a few thousand years old

Plenty of bungalows down the country are hideous, many are just fairly unobtrusive modern versions of cottages.
    Neoclassical period in art and architecture (as it was know around Europe or Georgian here and in UK) was influenced by acient Greeks and Rome. It was also intellectual movement that swept accross Europe and influenced political and social change. So no it is not the same as the pillars on bungalows. Unless you want to imply that an average bungalow is the result of renaissance of classical thinking and architectural reworking of the concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Based on the fact that whilst the steel is covered, it’s relatively only lightly covered. And is a lightning conductor.

It’s not just high buildings that get hit. And what attracts lightning to big buildings is all the steel contained within.

I knew when I posted that that someone would come in swinging their mickey.

im very confused. your claiming the steel makes it a lightning conducter. all that steel is only half way up the building. if lightening was to strike it would go to the highest point usually.

why are trees hit by lightening then

isnt a lightening conduster a good thing. surely you want the lightening to be atracted to the fastest route to ground so it does the least damage

im very confused. your claiming the steel makes it a lightning conducter. all that steel is only half way up the building. if lightening was to strike it would go to the highest point usually.

why are trees hit by lightening then

isnt a lightening conduster a good thing. surely you want the lightening to be atracted to the fastest route to ground so it does the least damage

Well, it’s an extension, with steel stretching to the roof of the extension which sticks out the back. Lightning follows the path of least resistence so will be drawn to something that conducts it.

As for lightning conduction being a good thing - well no, it can still start a fire or damage wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

PauloMN wrote: »
    Yep, when a permanent structure looks like a temporary structure, it's not good. Love the rest of the job he did there, but the pod thing kinda ruined it imo.

I'm still staggered by the fact that a house someone has spent €1.1m on in total can be a semi-detached! :eek:

Is Coolnevaun a road of semi-detached or a terrace?. There seems to be little between the houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Well, it’s an extension, with steel stretching to the roof of the extension which sticks out the back. Lightning follows the path of least resistence so will be drawn to something that conducts it.

As for lightning conduction being a good thing - well no, it can still start a fire or damage wiring.

by lightning is in the air for hundreds of yards square until it finds a path . its very unlikely it would go to the extention first.

if its going to hit the extention would it be better to hit one piece of steel and go to ground or hit a series of diferent materials .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I didn't mind the pod bathroom. Only when you'd be looking at bird dirt and slugs when you're taking a shower.

I hated the 60's crazy paving brickwork on the front. Thought they'd take the opportuinity to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Is Coolnevaun a road of semi-detached or a terrace?. There seems to be little between the houses

Semi D's, there is an access passage/path down the side of each house. Enough to get a lawn mower or your green/black bin down no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement