Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Jofspring wrote: »
    What season was that?

Season three episode five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any details on that? We've been watching through the old episodes and IIRC, she seemed delighted with the finished job in the episode?

A brief google doesn't give any details as to what the "remedial repairs" she claimed for were...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah she was happy with the finished product but something months afterwards went wrong. It was never really reported what exactly required remedial works but I'm guessing it might have been cracking of the walls or subsidence due to bad foundations. Bannon wasn't the only one sued- the contractor was as well as the production company Coco TV.

Details here
    A woman whose South Dublin home featured on RTE's 'Room to Improve' programme has settled her damages claim against presenter architect, Dermot Bannon, the show's producers and the firm that carried out works on her property.

The home of Mary Moore from Rathcoole in south county Dublin featured on the architectural renovation TV series in a programme broadcast in July 2009 entitled "Rathcoole Gallery" when works were carried out on her three bedroom home at a cost of €100,000.

However, Mrs Moore was unhappy with what was done to her home and claimed remedial works were required to carry out repairs on her property.

She brought High Court proceedings seeking damages against a number of parties, including Bannon who trades as Dermot Bannon Architects.

She also sued Kelly O'Connell Developments Ltd, of Timahoe, Co Laois, the principal contractor who carried out works on her home that featured in the show; a director of the contracter, Brendan O'Connell and Coco Television Productions Ltd, the company which produces 'Room to Improve.'

Before and after pics in the article
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dermot-bannon-room-to-improve-and-the-100000-court-case-34978933.html

The case settled for €100,000 compensation. between her Bannon, Coco TV and the contractor. Its not known who stumped up how much but all three parties paid up.

Dermot has a new season called Dermot's incredibly homes starting on the 10th February!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did I read somewhere recently that his own renovation may be a different format to the regular Room to Improve shows, a special episode without his family on screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wouldn't be surprising tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The Cush wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere recently that his own renovation may be a different format to the regular Room to Improve shows, a special episode without his family on screen?

I'd imagine there will still be the inevitable sequence where he goes off and does his own thing regardless of what he himself decided he wanted. Followed with the row with the builder who is then rescued by the quantity surveyor who points out it was Bannon himself who changed the plans without a by-your-leave. He will try to slope off into the shadows, but the showdown will have to follow:
    "Glass box?!!?? I'll give you a glass box!!" he will roar as he strangles himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I heard him say on the radio before that his wife has no interest in being on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

50999275_10216617469444231_6040548249700401152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d4ba60c3aa77544a995e7167f48ed033&oe=5CF07456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On the Late Late Show last Friday night he confirmed filming of the renovation is ongoing, the final format of the programme hasn't been decided but it wouldn't be in Room to Improve format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

He has an impressive PR operation thru RTE. Seems to live there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dermot Bannons - Incredible Homes on Sunday 9.30. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nee_Loo

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Dermot Bannons - Incredible Homes on Sunday 9.30. Looks interesting.

I know this isn’t strictly related to the programme but anyone have any idea what the song is on the ad for the new Incredible Homes series? It’s been driving me mad all week.
    Delete this if it’s against the rules and all. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I know this isn’t strictly related to the programme but anyone have any idea what the song is on the ad for the new Incredible Homes series? It’s been driving me mad all week.
    Delete this if it’s against the rules and all. Cheers

Just heard it there ...it's a version of the chorus from Dreams by the Cranberries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Like walking around an empty conference centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Where is her stuff?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

In the middle of a housing crisis we watch Dermot wetting himself over properties that none of us can afford.He got a fine holiday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Amazing gaff,even if it is the epitome of “more money than sense”

The top floor is her living space, the first floor is the bedrooms and everything else on the ground floor so you'll be using that staircase a fair bit, Id say they'd start to grate after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

downwesht wrote: »
    In the middle of a housing crisis we watch Dermot wetting himself over properties that none of us can afford.He got a fine holiday too.

To use his own words ." blown away"

Did it go over budget?

• Advertisement

downwesht wrote: »

I'm sure some people can afford it.
    There's enough Prime Time/Current affairs program to discuss the housing crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

That's a bond villian's house

Stunning house but that valley looked like it should be a nature reserve, hate seeing houses plonked down in the middle of places like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thargor wrote: »
    Like walking around an empty conference centre...
    Exactly. It's stunning as a library or board room. But absolutely soulless for a home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

Why on earth would anyone want 2 enormous dining tables :confused:
    Definitely more like a board room, very soul less.
    Liked the Cider house, you could have great craic with a group of friends there for a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is that Dermot's Australian Dad?

This place is amazing, but again I hate seeing rainforest wrecked for private homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Dermot in a bath tick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Where's the septic tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Outdoor bathroom in a rainforest nightmare. If the mozzies don't get you it will be full of insects + lizards.Had one in Maldives. Hated it. Attracted massive spiders, insects + geekos. I'll keep my indoor bath thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement