Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Where's Colm from?
    Munster accent.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

WTF? A dream view + block it up. Tonight's houses are all wacky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Where's Colm from?
    Munster accent.

Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

This is a great progamme. Dermot's enthusiasm is great, showing us beautiful places, with none of the Room to Improve mini dramas. Really enjoying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

appledrop wrote: »
    WTF? A dream view + block it up. Tonight's houses are all wacky!

All these mad houses are starting to look the same-bland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Definitely saved the best for last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh come on, how could his mid terrace house sell for 680k. If true I am baffled now. So many more houses out there for lower or nearer that price. Baffled.

680k WTF:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Icsics wrote: »
    All these mad houses are starting to look the same-bland

Your right. Im not into these 'archtiture perfect 'house's Expensive houses yes but not these. There was another programme on rte billionaire b&b. Now they were jaw dropping hoises you would want. Tonights ones are not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Fantastic show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All you need is a kitchen that works for you, and a living space.

Bedrooms are just that really.

The dream becomes normal after a while, but costs a mint.

• Advertisement

Thought this was brilliant. Such escapism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think genuine interest, even love for architecture comes accross in the programme. And it is interesting. I wouldn't want to live in every house he visited but explaining the thinking and goals architects wanted to achieve are fascinating. Like the shaded bricks in last house to protect from the summer sun but opening the lover floors to let in winter sun.

Not quite the current show, but I've been back to the start, now that RTE have all the episodes online, as I never got to see the original ones.

I really like where the show started (€20k to spend on renovating downstairs) as it was much more realistic for the average Joe Soap to get on board with, and I find it interesting to see people trying to work around that kind of a budget and still make a difference.

Much prefer it to the current show he's doing (not to take anything away from it, I realise they're two very different kinds of TV show) but I'd rather live in a detached house in 'normal' Meath or Louth or Cavan than live on the edge of a cliff overlooking a rainforest etc. etc. does anyone else find many of these 'amazing' houses are amazing to look at, but you wouldn't really actually live there.

They seem more of a dick measuring contest at times. 'Just built this house to show people that I can' kind of vibe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Nationwide last Fri night (15th Feb), piece on the programme with Patricia Power, Room to Improve's QS for 5 years, she confirmed she's Dermot's QS for his own house renovation.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/nationwide/SI0000001172?epguid=IH000367856

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Very eccentric houses in Melbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Seeing this for the first time tonight.

Mother of God, I've a headache just watching this second house for five minutes :eek:

Sensory overload!

First one was aptly described as an airport hangar or terminal. Can't believe that's a family home with kids living there.

Wow in Cairns

No. 3..... all I can think of is.... the midges :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No. 3..... all I can think of is.... the midges :eek:

And what about the snakes n crocs n everything else in the lake !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I couldn't live in that John Henry house. Be like living in ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seriously whats with being allowed to build private houses in the middle of virgin rainforest? Does Oz have worse planners than us even?

Lisha wrote: »
    And what about the snakes n crocs n everything else in the lake !

I just can't get past all that green water and the thought of the midges!

That's just a bizarre "house". No thanks.

I couldn't live in that John Henry house. Be like living in ikea.

On acid!

Watching Dermo being afraid of spiders is just hilare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'll be having nightmares about that swan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Not quite the current show, but I've been back to the start, now that RTE have all the episodes online, as I never got to see the original ones.

I really like where the show started (€20k to spend on renovating downstairs) as it was much more realistic for the average Joe Soap to get on board with, and I find it interesting to see people trying to work around that kind of a budget and still make a difference.

Much prefer it to the current show he's doing (not to take anything away from it, I realise they're two very different kinds of TV show) but I'd rather live in a detached house in 'normal' Meath or Louth or Cavan than live on the edge of a cliff overlooking a rainforest etc. etc. does anyone else find many of these 'amazing' houses are amazing to look at, but you wouldn't really actually live there.

They seem more of a dick measuring contest at times. 'Just built this house to show people that I can' kind of vibe?

I was disappointed when I realised this wasn't a regular room to improve, but I actually think it's more entertaining for a few reasons.

Dermot is completely enthusiastic throughout, and has no pressure from clients, to deliver the goods. I also find him really funny.

You get to see the most unusual places in stunning locations, with his expertise to break it down. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looked cool from the outside but overall its a large meh.

That fecking plastic swan floating around in the background all the time is just plain creepy!

Does that house actually have no walls at all? I don't care how hot it is, that would just freak me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I'll be having nightmares about that swan..

I loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I watched a few of the earlier episodes of room to improve.
    Dermot didn't make as big of an issue out of kitchen finishes/etc as he does now. They were sort of more affordable. (Apart from that woman in Catleknock)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement