Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Most of the houses looked impractical but the 'bond villain' house in Cairns looked particularly bad, I could just imagine getting eaten alive by mosquitos in what was basically a swamp surrounding the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Most of the houses looked impractical but the 'bond villain' house in Cairns looked particularly bad, I could just imagine getting eaten alive by mosquitos in what was basically a swamp surrounding the house.

Good point. I was surprised that it had no screens to keep the bugs out as many Aussie houses do. The bedrooms were surprisingly small and conventional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont suppose anyone knows if theres a name for that version of Dreams by the Cranberries that plays in the ad do they? Ive looked but cant see anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone knows if theres a name for that version of Dreams by the Cranberries that plays in the ad do they? Ive looked but cant see anything.

Could it be Cloud Control

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBpJ9hWaVjc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, I don't think so, will give it a proper listen at home thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Fab tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

First time watching and I haven't read the thread re this series so I'm probably repeating what other have said before, but, isn't it marvellous to see Dermot so childlike in his excitement and enthusiasm! Great presenter for this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Now this house might not to be everyone's taste , but I like it and what's more , it's actually a home . Not a showhouse like some last week .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Still though....one bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a reason why you would need a gate in most Dublin apartment blocks....

Those roof gardens are class really cool building.

The rock house is stunning, not sure about some of the furniture though, and a 1 bed whattt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Classic, he nearly shít himself when the truck came along.

I love ALL these homes

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ollibelo

Some people are having incredible lives and homes.
    Dermot is bothering me the way he's 'mind-reading' the owners and their choices.
    "You did this because of that..."
    Why can't he just bloody ask them instead of telling them.
    Rant over.
    Love the homes.

gmisk wrote: »
    There is a reason why you would need a gate in most Dublin apartment blocks....

Those roof gardens are class really cool building.

The rock house is stunning, not sure about some of the furniture though, and a 1 bed whattt

I'm sure I'd feel so relaxed in that house that I would sleep everywhere in it.

How unassuming is that place, from the front.
    Awesome house. The size of the living room/kitchen. Not a fan of a bathroom straight off the kitchen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

I'm sorry but what are people on about? These houses are completely lacking in any design flair and people seem to think it's wonderful. Every house tonight has unpainted mass concrete walls with no detailing or pictures. Everything is rectangular. Every kitchen is stainless steel. Every wardrobe has a completely flat surface with no design whatsoever. The gardens are non existent except for the last one which isn't exactly spectacular.

It's a complete lack of imagination as far as I can see. Compared to the houses in Australia everything about these houses are dull. Swedish design is one of the most over rated things on the planet. Design for robots.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    How unassuming is that place, from the front.
    Awesome house. The size of the living room/kitchen. Not a fan of a bathroom straight off the kitchen though.
    It is class, I even loved the utility room.
    Zero wasted space, imagine growing up in a house like that that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

It’s great this Swedish philosophy of just enough.....and each house probably worth over a million euro

MTBD wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what are people on about? These houses are completely lacking in any design flair and people seem to think it's wonderful. Every house tonight has unpainted mass concrete walls with no detailing or pictures. Everything is rectangular. Every kitchen is stainless steel. Every wardrobe has a completely flat surface with no design whatsoever. The gardens are non existent except for the last one which isn't exactly spectacular.

It's a complete lack of imagination as far as I can see. Compared to the houses in Australia everything about these houses are dull. Swedish design is one of the most over rated things on the planet. Design for robots.

My house is a squash and a squeeze.
    I'd happily trade for a custom built house on a rock face/ with a pool/ with a sauna any day.

These homes were to my liking. Functional, spacious. Perfect.

Needles73 wrote: »
    It’s great this Swedish philosophy of just enough.....and each house probably worth over a million euro
    The one in the woods was built for 350k, the one bed apartment was 300k

• Advertisement

Ollibelo wrote: »
    My house is a squash and a squeeze.
    I'd happily trade for a custom built house on a rock face/ with a pool/ with a sauna any day.

These homes were to my liking. Functional, spacious. Perfect.

Yeah of course they aren't bad or anything but these were completely detached houses built on green field sites. They could have done anything. This is really the best of what Sweden has to offer?

Yeah of course they aren't bad or anything but these were completely detached houses built on green field sites. They could have done anything. This is really the best of what Sweden has to offer?

Lagom, I guess.

Much preferred the Swedish episode to Aussie ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The builds tonight were far more to my taste than any of those in previous weeks. They were warm and inviting and I could actually imagine myself living there and feeling comfortable, they were functional and practical and not full of notions like the last few. They worked in the context of their environment. Obviously if I tried to replicate that look in my area it wouldn’t work and would look daft. But if I lived out in the wilderness, with not much around me for miles but fresh air and trees, just give me some views, a nice fire and a comfy bed and I’d be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

Really enjoyed tonight's show. Loved Dermot's childish enthusiasm, I'd say the crew had great craic on location.
    There wasn't one house that I didn't like tonight, I'd live in any of them. I loved the surfaces, furniture, warmth.......
    My favourite was the €350k one in the woods.
    Much nicer homes than most of the Australian ones. The Swedish way would really make you think of how we build here, we could learn a lot from them.
    SO jealous of Dermot, he's getting paid to go off on such fab trips.

The builds tonight were far more to my taste than any of those in previous weeks. They were warm and inviting and I could actually imagine myself living there and feeling comfortable, they were functional and practical and not full of notions like the last few. They worked in the context of their environment. Obviously if I tried to replicate that look in my area it wouldn’t work and would look daft. But if I lived out in the wilderness, with not much around me for miles but fresh air and trees, just give me some views, a nice fire and a comfy bed and I’d be grand.

I though the contemporary farm house in Australia was spectacular. Fascinating from an engineering and architactural point of view as well as managing to include some really beautiful and ornate pieces of furniture.

I don't see how completely untextured concrete and veneered wood surfaces are in keeping with nature.

That said I'm sure they are very comfortable places to live and much better than the average Irish townhouse but I just don't see any creativity at all. They all seemed very pleasant and understated but I don't think a single one of them would be considered amazing design. Very samey.

I think Bannon was in peak bull****ting mode tonight also. That nonsense about having concrete on the floor of the rock house to keep it grounded was complete waffle. He's like an architectural conspiracy theorist. Everything was done for a reason and nothing is concidental yet he never let's the actual owners tell them what the objectives behind the design were. Just inserting his own thoughts on to everything. He pointed out no flaws in any of the houses tonight either. For instance, the apartment block clearly had certain apartments that we're completely in the shadow of those in front which is surely a massive design issue. The tree houses had some pretty laughably bad features but he glosses over them. His lack of objectivity is irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

jos28 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed tonight's show. Loved Dermot's childish enthusiasm, I'd say the crew had great craic on location.
    There wasn't one house that I didn't like tonight, I'd live in any of them. I loved the surfaces, furniture, warmth.......
    My favourite was the €350k one in the woods.
    Much nicer homes than most of the Australian ones. The Swedish way would really make you think of how we build here, we could learn a lot from them.
    SO jealous of Dermot, he's getting paid to go off on such fab trips.

How much is this series costing RTÉ?

nuac wrote: »
    How much is this series costing RTÉ?

I'm okay with funding for this programe as it's very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

His programmes are among most watched. I suspect they are quite happy to pay for him to jet around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

London tonight !! Looking forward to it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement