Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Return date is September 8th!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

Whatever happened to that "missing episode" from a couple seasons ago? I presume that just got dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Villan11 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that "missing episode" from a couple seasons ago? I presume that just got dropped

Was just coming in to ask that?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Prime time tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Episode 1 – Athgarvan, Co. Kildare

David and Nessa Conlon have just bought this 1990s split level detached bungalow and plan to move in with their three children (twin boys aged 11 and a 7 year old girl) once the renovations have been completed.

This is the third time they have bought a house and tried to make it their forever home…but each time, they fall out of love with the house.

The split level house is in a cul-de-sac, close to The Curragh, and is full of interesting quirks, like curved interior walls, a corridor with seven doors leading into bedrooms and bathrooms and most alarmingly – a 600 square meter garden, with a 40 degree slope rising to a height well above the roof of the house.

With a budget of just over 220k, architect Dermot Bannon has a huge challenge on his hands, both inside and outside the house.

This house is basically a series of staggered terraces making their way up the site. The challenge will be to make their home more legible. Dermot presents a design that sees the house opened up, and a raised pavilion at the rear. But will the clients like what they see?

With plans in place for the house, its time to tackle the elephant outside the room – the garden. Dermot calls on garden supremo Diarmuid Gavin, to design and create what has to be one of the most challenging gardens ever on Room To Improve.

The two men set to work to build what will hopefully become Nessa and David’s forever home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

manutd wrote: »

This is the third time they have bought a house and tried to make it their forever home…but each time, they fall out of love with the house.

haha this sounds good, already Im thinking they are fussy as fcuk !

The garden bit sounds good, most people would run a mile from a garden that is on a hill side but I've been in a friends mountain side garden in the Lake District and it is absolutely stunning, there are six different levels to it all connected by steps with each level having its own function. When you look from the bottom up it looks amazing and from the top there is a stunning view across the mountains and down to the lake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I bet that couple will be brilliantly crazy and fussy. If you have no issues buying 3 times in a row and still have no issues shelling a good 220k for the big DB while feeding 3 children - fair fkn play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,300 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The house looks a lot older than 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Oooh new QS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Love the budget already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Daithi O'Shea double jobbing as a QS
    Maith an fear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Around 220k.......under if possible.

5 minutes later 290k.....yeah that's grand :pac:

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Dermot said he never went over budget

2 minutes later... 12 grand over budget

I think he justified that before with: show them the full package (what they asked for) and then scale back from there to bring make it affordable. It makes sense in a way.

But holy cow, I'd love to have the money to just add 60k to the budget like adding a slice of cheese to a burger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I can see these people getting a nice house but ending up on the street when out of money.

I’m pretty sure it’s been edited a lot to mention budget so it’s going to be a blowout. The garden would be my guess as to where the budget goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

For the guts of 700k I'd rather live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No Lisa as QS :-(

House is at present €680,000. Holy jayzus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I reckon it’ll cost about €340k by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Level floors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

where is this house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,300 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd have left the garden to do on a piece by piece basis over 10 years or so, lol.

Nessa wears the trousers in this house.

Noted how Dermot still managed to get steps into the kitchen.

I can see these people getting a nice house but ending up on the street when out of money.

I’m pretty sure it’s been edited a lot to mention budget so it’s going to be a blowout. The garden would be my guess as to where the budget goes.

I get it though, I have an awful garden that needs a professional really because it's too much of a task and I'd spend good money to get a nice garden if I'd have it.

I love that project, I have a thing for old cheesy bungalows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Diarmuid Gavin can fix it for half a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

where is this house

Near the Curragh in Kildare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Do you guys play rugby?

Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Do you guys play rugby?

Seriously

And rugby ball in the lad hand !!

No garden for young kids

The builder is good craic ,I think they're a lovely family ...too much talk about the damn garden, get on with the house ffs.

• Advertisement

Wow that's some bullsh*t garden design for a family!
    You can't do anything with a garden like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement