Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Not mad on that pattern of that couch.

But I like the shape....as Dermot said, it's classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That's a good idea, heating the outside of the house as well as the inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Larry just has no interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

She's fussy!! Or does she dislike Dermot and is putting a stop to everything he suggests???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's kind of like a tornado simulator where the roof was ripped off a house.

I feel so sorry for the builder!

She's fussy!! Or does she dislike Dermot and is putting a stop to everything he suggests???

Yeah I was thinking that too... It seems like everything is wrong cos Dermot suggests it...

I like render.

Um I don't like the half render/half brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why did they not render the top of the gable.

Ewwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Feic it's lovely

It's nice.

The walk in wardrobe, perfect for Larry's 50 pairs of wellies..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Larry just has no interest

He reminds me of a nodding dog, with his big smiley head on him

That oven JARS for me.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why did they not render the top of the gable.

Ewwww.

Yup that really lets house down there's loads of old red brick not rendered

Is the kitchen area very small with the table and also the couch?

The fireplace sticks out and blocks off half the telly... What if you were watching a tennis match?

Where was the nice grey colour they were looking at for the kitchen.

Plain and boring white.

Don't cut those trees down pleeeaaaasssee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

larry kind of has a tommy tiernan look about him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Too sterile looking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For €160k it's a superb job, up there with some previously done costing multiples of it.

Turned out well.

A boot room. I like it.

Does he have to have a shower before he enters the house?!

Does he have to have a shower before he enters the house?!

Only if he fancies his chances Id say!!

I can't rewind, is the long thin window in the bricks just ever so slightly off centre?

Best of luck to them.

I just spotted Patricia has her on mini project underway, best of luck to Her too :)

• Advertisement

I can't rewind, is the long thin window in the bricks just ever so slightly off centre?

Could be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Why does that Garden room thingie have the seating with the back to the view?!

What happens to it if it rains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

next weeks builder is usually good old craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Lisha wrote: »
    I just spotted Patricia has her on mini project underway, best of luck to Her too :)

She was in Holles St. having it at the same time as a friend of mine last year, around Sept I think, so must have been filmed last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I can't figure out if it's off centre, or if the vent above it is just giving that impression. I think the little vent is off centre - -if I cover the vent with my thumb it looks more centred. The shot they showed of it is also taken from the right, not dead on, so that's misleading as well.

On mature reflection, I think it's centred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Really liked the finished product. The 2nd house they went to see with the outdoor wall was just stunning. Except for the basketball hoop on the chimney. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Wouldn't be all that fussed on the finished product although I love the terrace. Didn't think much of the kitchen, really didn't like the range!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This outside fireplace was a strange one, in summer when the weather is warm it's not needed and sure who is going to be sitting outside in the winter or when its raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This outside fireplace was a strange one, in summer when the weather is warm it's not needed and sure who is going to be sitting outside in the winter or when its raining

You'd be surprised how nice a fire can be late at night in the spring/summer/autumn. Often the nicest days (no clouds) are the ones that get decidedly chilly once the sun goes down (because of the lack of clouds). What might have started out as a pleasant sunny afternoon can suddenly be a chillier 11pm where no-one wants to finish up, and only the comparative cold is making the party finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I'd have a pizza oven in place of that fireplace! I think they were a bit hard on Larry. He's just a guy that does not have the ability to visualize something in advance. He even mentioned that if the window was put in, then he would have an opinion. Lovely guy!
    I enjoyed the show.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thoie wrote: »
    I can't figure out if it's off centre, or if the vent above it is just giving that impression. I think the little vent is off centre - -if I cover the vent with my thumb it looks more centred. The shot they showed of it is also taken from the right, not dead on, so that's misleading as well.

On mature reflection, I think it's centred.

Just thinking back in it now, if the wall separating the double height from the attic space is running right along the ridge line, which I think it is. ... the the window has to be slightly off centre when viewed from outside. But completely perfect when viewed from inside as the rhs of the window meets the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Lisha wrote: »
    The double height ceilings are gorgeous but simply impossible to heat

Wonder if this is so? It would be great to get the owners - or someone who has a similar house with similar double height ceiling - to give an honest opinion on if they would go for double height again or not? It look great on a nice warm daylight day when Dermot comes, but what about trying to heat it on a windy January evening?

Nice view, but I wonder are all those fancy doors opening directly to the outside ( without a porch or anything ) fully airtight / windproof, as the wind blows up from those fields?

I may have missed it on the programme, but did they put much new insulation in to the house? The walls are still the same, no external insulation or anything? Wonder what the new energy rating is.

Also wonder about the sq ft of the house. If it cost 160k, and arch fees / qty surveyor fees say normally another 18k (I guess in this instance the professional fees would probably be paid by the programme makers as its for tv )...would they in the country not have been able to build a fine new single storey dwelling from scratch, complete with radon gas barrier etc, for 180k or not much more? I think (as someone else said ) having the bottom part of exterior walls plastered and the top part brick does not look right, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Incidentally the inside of the house looks very well, I'd love to live in it myself. Lots of light which is lovely. The walls on a lot of Dermots tend to be white- it seems well. If the kitchen / dining walls were coloured it would not work nearly as well? I missed a few minutes of the programme, winder if the sitting room was white as well? and would it seem a bit sterile if sitting in, like a dentists waiting room? Wonder with all the glass would it be a bit glarey or warm like a glasshouse on a really sunny day.

Overall great design and programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I'd have a pizza oven in place of that fireplace! I think they were a bit hard on Larry. He's just a guy that does not have the ability to visualize something in advance. He even mentioned that if the window was put in, then he would have an opinion. Lovely guy!
    I enjoyed the show.

We will be building a house later this year and I can guarantee I will be the same as Larry when it comes to door knobs, windows etc, leave it to the mrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just thinking back in it now, if the wall separating the double height from the attic space is running right along the ridge line, which I think it is. ... the the window has to be slightly off centre when viewed from outside. But completely perfect when viewed from inside as the rhs of the window meets the wall

I think you are wrong there, sydthebeat. I looked at it again this morning. The window is centred under the roof ridge. The wall on the inside is over to one side - not directly under the ridge.

I think Dermot has excelled himself with the changes (improvements) he has made to this house. It's true what he says - "This country has thousands of similar bungalows, built iin the sixties, that ignore the surrounding landscape." [Words to that effect!]

Every good wish to Larry and his family for their happiness in the future.

malibu4u wrote: »
    Wonder if this is so? It would be great to get the owners - or someone who has a similar house with similar double height ceiling - to give an honest opinion on if they would go for double height again or not? It look great on a nice warm daylight day when Dermot comes, but what about trying to heat it on a windy January evening?

Nice view, but I wonder are all those fancy doors opening directly to the outside ( without a porch or anything ) fully airtight / windproof, as the wind blows up from those fields?

I may have missed it on the programme, but did they put much new insulation in to the house? The walls are still the same, no external insulation or anything? Wonder what the new energy rating is.

Also wonder about the sq ft of the

Friends of mine have a gorgeous house and the hallway is double height void with stairs and upstairs . She said recently that by night they've to keep doors closed down stairs and keep all upstairs doors closed too as void sucks out all heat. Now she has traditional oil fired rads hearing house. I wonder woukd a void type building be better in a heating system like underfloor or air to heat type system where all house in always at same temp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thought the house came out really well in the end. It made a change this week not to have mad extensions to the building but to mainly work within the original 4 walls and the roof. Strange one but I loved the window at the end of the hall, it just brought so much light into the area. I didn't like the sofa, like someone else said - white sofa in a farm house! Would not have lasted a week in our home place when Dad comes in from the fields for tea. Loved the boot room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭pooch90

I want their builders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Just to clarify I think they definitely went for that sofa but it was a grey colour that they got the fabric in. Like most of you I was screaming no to the white sofa so made a point to check at the end. It was definitely grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I can understand leaving the wellies in the room before going into rest of the the house but putting a shower in beside it is a new one on me.

I'm from a farming backround and unless he was rolling around in the muck he couldn't be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

I can understand leaving the wellies in the room before going into rest of the the house but putting a shower in beside it is a new one on me.

I'm from a farming backround and unless he was rolling around in the muck he couldn't be that bad.

Not that unusual at all. Lots of houses I've been to have shower rooms downstairs, sometimes as part of the utility room or as a add on to a downstairs bedroom, so it is just a variation of that.

Farming especially dairy farming, calving/harvest time is still hard physical work so you don't need to be covered in muck to feel like having a shower.

I liked the finished version of the house. It was so dark and dreary, can't imagine how you would face things north in a house when you had a choice like there was in that house.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement