Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like the garden. I hope it develops nicely through the seasons and isn't a pile of muck 6 months per year. House itself is a bit paint by numbers. It's a nice house but budgets people have are not enough for something spectacular and watching the programme through the years it's all becoming a bit similar (but nice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

splinter65 wrote: »
    Even that bit of landscaping, paving and the plants would be easily that. I would have expected it to be that.
    The bloody plants cost a fortune and they needed a truck load of them.

I definitely have a different opinion for value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

meeeeh wrote: »
    I like the garden. I hope it develops nicely through the seasons and isn't a pile of muck 6 months per year. House itself is a bit paint by numbers. It's a nice house but budgets people have are not enough for something spectacular and watching the programme through the years it's all becoming a bit similar (but nice).

Yeh the end result was standard Dermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Had it recorded and just watched it.
    Finished job was nice but 300k is just mind blowing for a budget.(for me anyway).

The garden was a lot of money.
    You would need an irrigation system in a warm summer or it will all die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Why was dylan Moran designing the garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

BDI wrote: »
    Why was dylan Moran designing the garden?

Yeah, garden is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Autosport wrote: »
    Level floors :D

Should the slope not have been noticed at an earlier stage by Dermot's team as part of their initial survey? It seems very late in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The clobber that Gavin is wearing, not your usual gardening attire.

He was wearing runners on his first two visits, to a site where everyone else is in hard hats and boots. Has he ever done a Safe Pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Autosport wrote: »
    Yea I like the concrete island too, I think it would work in their kitchen. Builder seems like a good laugh :D

Hated the concrete island.

I know Shane fairly well, he is great craic! Sound out! His own house is fabulous too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Loved the finished article. A real home.
    No grass to mow = low maintenance.
    Considering some of the prices we’ve been getting to sort out our flat garden, I was expecting theirs to cost more. I think the builder must have done them a big favour there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Heaven forbid their boys might want to play rugby out the back. Did not give any thought to that

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Addle wrote: »
    Loved the finished article. A real home.
    No grass to mow = low maintenance.
    Considering some of the prices we’ve been getting to sort out our flat garden, I was expecting theirs to cost more. I think the builder must have done them a big favour there.

I'd argue that grass is a hell of a lot more low maintenance than weeding that hill, they'll be a foot high next May.

redbuck wrote: »
    I'd argue that grass is a hell of a lot more low maintenance than weeding that hill, they'll be a foot high next May.

When the planting covers the slope, there will be no room for weeds, and any that do grow will just integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

should have dug out the garden flat , grass for the football , lost chance .
    Will we all look back in time to come and date these ugly flat roofs as a Dermot type style of the naughties ,
    looking at the two designers , made me cringe , piggy backing in the lime light .

If they dug it flat, they’d have a huge wall at their back garden. That doesn’t seem attractive to me.
    They could take up handball I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kerry cow wrote: »
    should have dug out the garden flat , grass for the football , lost chance .
    Will we all look back in time to come and date these ugly flat roofs as a Dermot type style of the naughties ,
    looking at the two designers , made me cringe , piggy backing in the lime light .

couldn't think of anything less appealing than a big massive retaining wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

When the planting covers the slope, there will be no room for weeds, and any that do grow will just integrate.

weeds and grass will totally take over all that bare earth - it's far from low-maintenance.

loyatemu wrote: »
    weeds and grass will totally take over all that bare earth - it's far from low-maintenance.

The bare earth is left there because there’s both planting and seeding going on and the garden will grow to fill all the space. It’s supposed to fill in.

Yeh. These kind of gardens largely self maintain. And a weed in a meadow type garden is another flower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

manutd wrote: »
    This is the third time they have bought a house and tried to make it their forever home…but each time, they fall out of love with the house.

Ah, so they do them up and churn them. The garden issue is hardly relevant then as that'll be the next owners problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fair play to them, could only dream of dropping shy of 400k on a house and nearly 300k on renevating it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone know when this will be repeated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be repeated?
    Next Sunday afternoon @ 13:10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Fears For Irish Rugby After Diarmuid Gavin Turns Every Pitch Into A Shrubbery

https://www.balls.ie/the-rewind/diarmuid-gavin-room-to-improve-416985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

not sure about that garden. you would want a very good reason to walk all the way up there. if there was areas to chill out in on the way you might wander up a bit to read the paper or to relax

I thought both Dermots missed a trick with that garden, from the drone shot at the very top of the hill was a farmers field with an amazing view across the rolling countryside, it even had a few giant oak trees in it with sheep and cows grazing. All they had to do was hack back a few trees and bushes and they would have opened up that amazing view. Cant understand why they didnt.

In any case I think they were mad buying a property with that type of garden when they have kids. It will never be of any use to the kids. Half of me was wondering did they just go on the show to get a Dermot Bannon designed home and a Diarmuid Gavin designed garden and then flip it next year for profit and move on to their next project. Doubt that would work either, the €390k purchase price was already very high for the area, Athgarvan is basically a suburb of Newbridge where house prices are nowhere near that kind of money. It'd be hard to sell that for more than the c.€700k cost of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭prunudo

From an environmental point of view, what Diarmuid did was far better than the fake plastic grass they had in their previous house, but it totally missed their brief and practicalities of a graden for a family with young children.
    In an era where we're being urged to reduce our reliance on plastics, the current trend in replacing organic and natural grass/shrubs with synthetic lifeless gardens is something that doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

prunudo wrote: »
    From an environmental point of view, what Diarmuid did was far better than the fake plastic grass they had in their previous house, but it totally missed their brief and practicalities of a graden for a family with young children.
    In an era where we're being urged to reduce our reliance on plastics, the current trend in replacing organic and natural grass/shrubs with synthetic lifeless gardens is something that doesn't sit well with me.
    I agree with what you are saying. I like the wildflowers planted, it will be great for the bees and butterflies and it will be lovely in a few years time when it has grown in. But missing the client's brief when they have a family, like where are they going to play ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There was no turning that garden into a rugby field and the planting done will take care of itself - the plants used mostly seem to be low growing ground coverage that won't require any maintenance. I'd have curved the edges of the path rather than used sharp lines myself but I thought it was a great solution: the little coffee terrace on the first bend looked like something both I and my wife would make great use of in fine weather!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying. I like the wildflowers planted, it will be great for the bees and butterflies and it will be lovely in a few years time when it has grown in. But missing the client's brief when they have a family, like where are they going to play ball?

There was no brief to play ball as far as I could see. Otherwise they would have flattened the garden, which would be horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The prices these days are a joke. A basic wall 100ft long would be 20k quoted. But could be built for a few 100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The prices these days are a joke. A basic wall 100ft long would be 20k quoted. But could be built for a few 100.

People are too lazy now to take these things on, so only themselves to blame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement