Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Are munster joinery not sponsoring anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

hurikane wrote: »
    Are munster joinery not sponsoring anymore?

Seems to be a bit of a cull of product placement, Dermots car last night didn't get a clear shot to see what it was, previous series had Audi and Volvo featured heavily, a little like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

klose wrote: »
    Fair play to them, could only dream of dropping shy of 400k on a house and nearly 300k on renevating it!

That's what I thought, serious amount of money there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

After going outside after a bad day and admiring my pot rockeries with a few dozens of different alpines and succulents: they should have gone for the biggest most badass rockery with herbaceous topping.

I love rockeries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Seems to be a bit of a cull of product placement, Dermots car last night didn't get a clear shot to see what it was, previous series had Audi and Volvo featured heavily, a little like...

Dermots car is a Volvo XC90, the symbol was on the steering wheel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is this on the RTE Player. I can't find it but that might be because I'm in the UK at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is this on the RTE Player. I can't find it but that might be because I'm in the UK at the moment

Yes it's up on it, not 'officially' available outside Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yes it's up on it, not 'officially' available outside Ireland.

I'll have to come up with some way to watch it so. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The prices these days are a joke. A basic wall 100ft long would be 20k quoted. But could be built for a few 100.

Could easily be over €1000 by time concrete base is in and that's if it is straight forward and accessible.
    Good luck with the few hundred to do foundation, blocks, capping, plastering and landscaping to finish including all materials and labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I still wouldn't live in a house that was like living in the bottom of a bowl. Lovely job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I still wouldn't live in a house that was like living in the bottom of a bowl. Lovely job though.

Yeah, I didn't like the setting. You look out the window and all you see is the wall of a garden; no matter how nice it is, all you can see is 15 yards to the rear. Too enclosed for me. But best of luck to the two of them with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Don't suppose anyone know where they got their blue and grey rug in the latest episode when they revealed the finished house? It was beautiful and I want one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Don't suppose anyone know where they got their blue and grey rug in the latest episode when they revealed the finished house? It was beautiful and I want one

Supplier list here:

https://cococontent.ie/episode-2-kildare-room-to-improve-series-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Travelling around the country over the summer, it's clear to see Dermot's influence in the style of houses and renovations being built, especially in rural areas but also in built up areas, where the site is big enough. Very rectangular shapes, sometimes 2 sections perpendicular to each other and plenty of flat roofed extensions with lots of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Radio5 wrote: »
    Travelling around the country over the summer, it's clear to see Dermot's influence in the style of houses and renovations being built, especially in rural areas but also in built up areas, where the site is big enough. Very rectangular shapes, sometimes 2 sections perpendicular to each other and plenty of flat roofed extensions with lots of glass.

I'd love to see what future generations make of them.
    Will grey windows be their horrod avocado bathrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’d love a colored bathroom suite.
    So difficult to find now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This is not Dermots influence.... this is just a current (going back 10yrs now probably) architectural trend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I think personally in 10 years time these modern houses with metal flat roofs are going to look terrible. Stone faced traditional houses will stand the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

physioman wrote: »
    I think personally in 10 years time these modern houses with metal flat roofs are going to look terrible. Stone faced traditional houses will stand the test of time.

Not all of them. There are some complete monstrosities among stone houses. Also it can be very expensive to do it and especially to do it right. Stone cladding aged, so did fake Georgian pillars. I think some of the houses aged but a lot of the shapes are influenced by art deco and that still stands the test of time.

I think stone feature walls and plastic/metal french windows will age. Relatively simple styles using decent materials will do ok. Internally kitchens in bold colours and even gloss probably won't age well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A project being filmed for new series;

House in Churchtown, Dublin... as bought for 900K, its now been demolished, and a new build is starting from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Cheaper to build from scratch than to extend and renovate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would have thought it was a once in a lifetime chance to level the garden while they still had access. ? Will future buyers be stuck with the sloping garden ?
    Not a great design from Diarmuid methinks.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    100% agree. Obviously tough site to use with the garden but no way they could have made it practical for the kids.

House turned out lovely , well done Dermot Bannon!

Fire pit should be closer to the house and the level bit at the top for the kids to play on. It's a sin to have a garden that size and spend so much money without ending up with somewhere to play ball ! Why would they buy a house in the country to have a city garden.
    And Diarmaid Gavin, spending a fortune on herbaceous planting at the side of a hill in The Curragh, without a tree or a conifer in sight, very poor from a structural design point of view .
    That garden might look pretty but will be riddled with weeds before it matures, and will be a dead weedy brown patch for the winter. I hope they have a maintenance agreement with the lazy fexxxr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

recipio wrote: »
    I would have thought it was a once in a lifetime chance to level the garden while they still had access. ? Will future buyers be stuck with the sloping garden ?
    Not a great design from Diarmuid methinks.:D

And a 50 ft wall at the back?

Goldengirl wrote: »

Fire pit should be closer to the house and the level bit at the top for the kids to play on. It's a sin to have a garden that size and spend so much money without ending up with somewhere to play ball ! Why would they buy a house in the country to have a city garden.
    And Diarmaid Gavin, spending a fortune on herbaceous planting at the side of a hill in The Curragh, without a tree or a conifer in sight, very poor from a structural design point of view .
    That garden might look pretty but will be riddled with weeds before it matures, and will be a dead weedy brown patch for the winter. I hope they have a maintenance agreement with the lazy fexxxr!

He planted and seeded, so who knows what will grow as the garden matured. As has been said before you can’t really have weeds in this kind of garden as it’s not a structured garden at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

the whole project was a smudge .
    split level , no view , iggly piggle, site ,
    bad buy , bad decisions made ,
    would nt like them folk running my company ,
    wake up screaming in sweat in the middle of the night .
    you'd have a estate in the country side for the loot that was totally wasted there .
    DG came out of episode another notch down ,
    and DB should have walked a mile when he saw the project .
    can't beat a bit of a back scratch though .
    poor judgments all round on this one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭riddles

Goldengirl wrote: »

Thought the weed situation would be a pain alright considering the brief was a low maintenance job. I can imagine the halcyon stroll up the hill would become a right pain if downing cans beside the firepit as in trips to the jacks and getting more booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

kerry cow wrote: »
    the whole project was a smudge .
    split level , no view , iggly piggle, site ,
    bad buy , bad decisions made ,
    would nt like them folk running my company ,
    wake up screaming in sweat in the middle of the night .
    you'd have a estate in the country side for the loot that was totally wasted there .
    DG came out of episode another notch down ,
    and DB should have walked a mile when he saw the project .
    can't beat a bit of a back scratch though .
    poor judgments all round on this one .

That's very harsh. The house is lovely
    Garden is terrible I agree. No point to it. For what it cost it could have been wonderfull

I keep wondering what a weed is.

• Advertisement

The garden was fine by the way. It will look good when filled in. Looking up at something is fine if it’s pretty enough.

The house itself was meh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement