Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ll be seeing sola in my sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jesus, I've just got to the reveal :eek:

A house less like Joe I cannot imagine. He must really, REALLY love Mary to have agreed to it all!

But it's fabulous (well, so far anyway). Or in Mary's words, fabbilus.

The colours in the living area are absolutely gorgeous. Really natural, organic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Seriously, pull out that 6ft sq window in the bedroom? Put in a glass door and balcony on the flat roof. Wasted opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What a refreshing couple and fair play to Joe.

I'd say he worked out a deal or two with Sola while he was at it. I'm pretty sure that was their storeroom where they got the fake fire from. They've also got the house as the main image on their website. There's not a chance that Joe didn't do a wink wink deal... may explain the lack of focus on budget at the end.

215k seems very pricey for the end product. It was nice but certainly not stunning and didn't look like a complicated one.

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    They love it , am so happy for them !

Love their bedroom and the view , agree that the layout of his kitchens/open plan spaces , all begin to look the same after a while .
    I think that's because they're shown in showhouse condition, with not a single personal effect in place. Come back in three months' time, and it'll look like someones actual personal living space.

people got tired of the false drama , always the same ,
    budget , unforeseen problems, personality clashes, she wants/he doesn't .
    It got to the stage where you knew what was coming up next.
    Going by the voicover after the credits, we're back to the usual false drama next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just tuned in there I thiught ur man was her dad

Lucky the man that people think that of. He gives us all hope.

The house looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

After over 10 years it's well past time to replace Bannon. There's any amount of good architects .... time for a personality change. Same stuff all the time, good design, over budget ....etc. Why can't RTE innovate and change things up. Bannon is good but why not give a young talented architect a chance....it may even save RTE some cash. Bannon loves the limelight and attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

After over 10 years it's well past time to replace Bannon. There's any amount of good architects .... time for a personality change. Same stuff all the time, good design, over budget ....etc. Why can't RTE innovate and change things up. Bannon is good but why not give a young talented architect a chance....it may even save RTE some cash. Bannon loves the limelight and attention.

I'd much prefer if RTE get rid of the likes of Turbridy first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm sure there's loads of brilliant architects out there but how many have the personality for telly? I get dermot is not everyone's cup of tea but it's interesting to see his arguments and back and forth with the owners of the houses and his stubbornness in his opinions, it's a big part of the show.

Darcy first for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Just watching it now. What's the story with " sola" EVERY WHERE ?

klose wrote: »
    I'm sure there's loads of brilliant architects out there but how many have the personality for telly? I get dermot is not everyone's cup of tea but it's interesting to see his arguments and back and forth with the owners of the houses and his stubbornness in his opinions, it's a big park of the show.

I've been a big fan of the show over the years, i just think it's getting stale and predictable. A new architect would freshen things up.

Someone suggested, and I'm inclined to agree, that Joe did some sort of under-the-counter sponsorship deal with them, that probably paid for 75% of the build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Joe sold the advertising rights for more than the cost of the house.

I've been a big fan of the show over the years, i just think it's getting stale and predictable. A new architect would freshen things up.
    And probably lose half the audience in the process.

Bannon, as annoying as he is (and he is) is the main draw of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Curiosity got the best of me. Paul "the builder" is the owner of Sola. And it was the Sola showroom where they picked up the fire thingy.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And probably lose half the audience in the process.

Bannon, as annoying as he is (and he is) is the main draw of the show.

Really? I watch for the architecture and design ideas NOT for Dermot.

Really? I watch for the architecture and design ideas NOT for Dermot.
    Yeah, but there's not a lot of those, really. It's become all about the personalities, the drama, and Bannon. Details of the build/design/process are in short supply, sadly. It's a building-based soap opera, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Could Bannon be the creator of the show. Not sure, but maybe he sold the idea to RTE or was part of the initial package, so they might not be able to get rid of him. Similar to how Davy Fitz owns/created the concept for "Ireland's fittest family", so he is probably part of the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

PARlance wrote: »

Curiosity got the best of me. Paul "the builder" is the owner of Sola. And it was the Sola showroom where they picked up the fire thingy.
    Bit over the top in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I missed the start of tonight's episode did it say what this couple did?

Thanks.

I missed the start of tonight's episode did it say what this couple did?

Thanks.
    He's retired, she's a community welfare officer (or something along those lines).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They were the main contractor, electrical contractor, heat pump and electric stove supplier. Also associated with the mechanical contractor

https://cococontent.ie/episode-2-borrisoleigh-room-to-improve-series-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think that's because they're shown in showhouse condition, with not a single personal effect in place. Come back in three months' time, and it'll look like someones actual personal living space.

Ah I understand that , but surely not every house has to be open plan , ok I know there's an odd one that isn't but nine times out of ten they're open plan . With maybe a step up or down to break up the areas .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

LirW wrote: »
    €100-€150k on that should be loads.

It's baffling that this amount of money is considered low. This is more than I paid for my house!
    Same. I’d love there to be an episode where the budget is like €50k-€60k. The whole house doesn’t have to be gutted and redone each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Certainly more Soap Opera than Reaity TV, with Bannon going to the outfitters to help Joe chose his wedding suit and then attending the wedding, making a speech and joining in the dancing. LOL! Have to say I really enjoyed it. Bannon is unique and irreplaceable, IMO, even thogh some people are fed up of him.

Loved Mary and Joe. The discussion re the "fake" stove made me smile, as I happen to have a fake wood-burning stove. Surprising how manhy people think it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ah I understand that , but surely not every house has to be open plan , ok I know there's an odd one that isn't but nine times out of ten they're open plan . With maybe a step up or down to break up the areas .

I was reading a paper that most people that go open plan regret it immediately.

Privacy/personal space from others and Was never practical to have kitchen open, it stinks everything if you cook main reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

FFVII wrote: »
    I was reading a paper that most people that go open plan regret it immediately.

Privacy/personal space from others and Was never practical to have kitchen open, it stinks everything if you cook main reasons.

That is always the point I make...so many of the families have young children and while it's great to keep an eye on them, there will be toys EVERYWHERE! Before you know it they'll be teenagers wanting and needing personal space especially when boyfriends/girlfriends appear on the scene.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement