Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

LirW wrote: »
    I'd love to see an episode where in the end people put their old furniture back in. Like the 7 year old well worn in couch and the kitchen table second hand from adverts. And all the outdated sleigh beds because this is what they had.

I remember a Grand design episode where the guy said to Kevin at the end that he is so broke if they'd go to McDonald's together right now, he couldn't pay for it.

I'm sure if anyone has the time to go through the credits at the end, there will be hidden in somewhere a reference to a furniture supplier that would have done the "staging" with free or lent furniture for the final photoshoot. Personally, I think reusing their old furniture would have been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BarryD2 wrote: »
    For stubbornness you could also read arrogance i.e. I'm the architect and I'm right.

the flip side is why hire an architect like Dermot and then tell him you know better

in almost every episode I have seen they love the things they argued against initially

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For stubbornness you could also read arrogance i.e. I'm the architect and I'm right.

He is an experienced and well regarded architect and would have an opinion worth more than 99.9% of the population in this field. I think he has a right to state that he is right when it comes to house design. The vast majority of people don't know what they like until it's plonked in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Quazzie wrote: »
    He is an experienced and well regarded architect and would have an opinion worth more than 99.9% of the population in this field. I think he has a right to state that he is right when it comes to house design. The vast majority of people don't know what they like until it's plonked in front of them.

Most people know what they don't like though.If I don't like green or navy or wooden floors for example I would like to be given the courtesy of being listened to

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Most people know what they don't like though.If I don't like green or navy or wooden floors for example I would like to be given the courtesy of being listened to

Why bother hiring an architect then if you're not going to listen to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Channel 4 - Grand Designs
    There is more room for a show that follows people who actually roll up their sleeves and get stuck into their own building projects. That'd be real public service broadcasting unlike the fluff that Room to Improve typically serves up.

I wouldnt hire one to do the interior .I would get the plans done and then the interior would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I wouldnt hire one to do the interior .I would get the plans done and then the interior would be my choice

It's the premise of the show though that he also has a significant input into the design of the interior, because it's a fundamental part of a true architectural design in order to tie everything in together, where styles of the interior are chosen to complement or purposefully contrast the shape and design of the external.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Penn wrote: »
    It's the premise of the show though that he also has a significant input into the design of the interior, because it's a fundamental part of a true architectural design in order to tie everything in together, where styles of the interior are chosen to complement or purposefully contrast the shape and design of the external.

True. Alas, some people need a firm hand to avoid a complete faux pas. I'll bet Joe would have left the canopy in place if he could.:D Still, I'd like to see some more details of how he got to an A2 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

recipio wrote: »
    True. Alas, some people need a firm hand to avoid a complete faux pas. I'll bet Joe would have left the canopy in place if he could.:D Still, I'd like to see some more details of how he got to an A2 rating.

Underfloor/air pump yada yada.

Google it.

It would add to the show but What's the point coming in here complaining about the same thing for years?? Write to them!!!

Feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Lovely home for a lovely couple.
    I thought the kitchen colour was fabulous.
    A really entertaining show which made me smile loads.

I found Dermot to be quite patronising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

In the same way an accountant, engineer, doctor, or solicitor is right. Qualified v unqualified opinion.

Hoboo wrote: »
    In the same way an accountant, engineer, doctor, or solicitor is right. Qualified v unqualified opinion.

In fairness though, most of those are objective and based on factual results (eg. numbers, the law etc). Architecture and design is very subjective, and even though something might be architecturally great, the clients may not like it. It has to be very much tailored to the client's taste as well as how good something is architecturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Because as was it Fergal Quinn used to say - 'the customer is always right' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

In fairness though, most of those are objective and based on factual results (eg. numbers, the law etc). Architecture and design is very subjective, and even though something might be architecturally great, the clients may not like it. It has to be very much tailored to the client's taste as well as how good something is architecturally.

I agree to a point, but in accounting there are options to how you approach a project, and in law interpretation of law is a key element. One doctor can have a very differing opinion to another.

How many times has the client said no and in the end say it's wonderful, and finally understand what Dermot was talking about? Pretty much every single show. The clients taste is what they'd see in magazines and friends houses, they mix it all up, taking bits n bobs, and it would end up neither stylish or functional. That's why architects and designers exist. It's not just their taste.or subjective opinion, they understand how combinations of various aspects like shape, colour and texture work, and don't work.

Some professions hold less respect because people think it's simple and they can do it themselves. They wouldnt design a house, do the drawings or have a go at quantity surveying, but no problem thinking they know best when it comes to wherea window should be, or how many light fittings would work in a given area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

How many times has the client said no and in the end say it's wonderful, and finally understand what Dermot was talking about? Pretty much every single show.

By same token I wonder how many times the client has said No - I don't like result but that is not included in the show editing? Or the client doesn't really want to say what they think as they've signed up for a show that will be publicly viewed on national TV?

In real life I'd be thinking that any client would look at his work based on these shows and if they like it, then engage him. If they don't, then avoid him.

Yes . I have no problem with what others choose and are perfectly entitled to it . I was speaking about my own choices if I was to upgrade my house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

FFVII wrote: »
    Underfloor/air pump yada yada.

Google it.

It would add to the show but What's the point coming in here complaining about the same thing for years?? Write to them!!!

Feck sake.

This is a discussion forum about the show in case you hadn't noticed.We are discussing not complaining :rolleyes:

I agree to a point, but in accounting there are options to how you approach a project, and in law interpretation of law is a key element. One doctor can have a very differing opinion to another.

How many times has the client said no and in the end say it's wonderful, and finally understand what Dermot was talking about? Pretty much every single show. The clients taste is what they'd see in magazines and friends houses, they mix it all up, taking bits n bobs, and it would end up neither stylish or functional. That's why architects and designers exist. It's not just their taste.or subjective opinion, they understand how combinations of various aspects like shape, colour and texture work, and don't work.

Some professions hold less respect because people think it's simple and they can do it themselves. They wouldnt design a house, do the drawings or have a go at quantity surveying, but no problem thinking they know best when it comes to wherea window should be, or how many light fittings would work in a given area.

I mostly agree (and I work in house design myself), I'm just making the point that in those industries there tends to be a definitive measurable result based on objective facts (though some subjectiveness in the methodology or interpretation may occur). Architectural design however is a lot more subjective, and especially from the clients' perspective, as there is no 'right' answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nice couple this week and house looked great....they were right to stick to their guns on the flooring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ah god they were complete dotes!
    Didn’t like the kitchen at all but sure what do I know

Lovely episode. Really warmed my little heart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

neris wrote: »
    Channel 4 - Grand Designs

I love Grand Designs but a lot of those projects are run by self build architects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I love Grand Designs but a lot of those projects are run by self build architects.
    This is becoming more Changing Rooms meets Don't Tell The Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

why was there a door in the window behind the slats? Seems a bit pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Streetlamp wrote: »
    Was there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Privacy I think, they can see out, people can't see in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Privacy I think, they can see out, people can't see in.

We know what the slats are for, the question is why there was apparently a door behind those slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MidMan25 wrote: »
    We know what the slats are for, the question is why there was apparently a door behind those slats.

I thought it was a window to ther kitchen/ dining area? Front door was to the right hand side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

What ever about people not liking Dermot and his interiors...I just happened to see RTEs desperate houses and good god for a so called interior designer the lady doing it hasn’t a clue...shocking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

MidMan25 wrote: »

Spotted the door also... That would annoy me. A door that cannot be opened due to the slats on front of it. Should have been fixed window panes IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement