Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

We are addicted to homes under the hammer they completely return houses in the uk for well under 100k

Homes under the hammer:

What are you going to do?

Completely renovate....rewire electrics, new bathrooms, new roof, new kitchen, repaint the house.

What's your budget?

500 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Neames wrote: »
    Homes under the hammer:

Completely renovate....rewire electrics, new bathrooms, new roof, new kitchen, repaint the house.

What's your budget?

500 pounds.

500k in ireland it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Yeah but alot the stuff there is alot cheaper to and done to a standard to flip rather then live in. Grand designs is more like this
    We are addicted to homes under the hammer they completely refurb houses in the uk for well under 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    'Loved' the courtyard but couldn't sit in it because of the sheer noise of the traffic.

I think Dermot gave some rubbish line about the courtyard being insulated from traffic noise because of the walls!

riemann wrote: »
    Something wrong with a man earning a decent living from a honest day's work?

If it's so good you can always drop in a CV to a site next time you're passing, there's a huge shortage of lads willing to do a hard day's work.

There is when salaries help to artifically inflate our construction industry and a 4 bed semi d in kildare costs up to 465,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is this show for real ?
    Are the budgets even real or is everything inflated for sensationalism ?
    Is Bannon a sadist intent on bankrupting his clients ?
    Wouldnt be surprised if himself and Diarmaid Gavin have a few voodoo dolls of the clients out the back and are driving nails into them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

This house is horrendous for the price/ money spent. Pebbledash is hideous. I would be forever looking at lovely front colour of extension saying why did we not go for that on whole house.

Plywood kitchen awful but what she went for not much better. Bedrooms look very small for 1million house. Also hate those 'subway' tiles in bathroom. That's another poverty trend that will be gone soon + tiles will date very quickly.

Honestly the mind boggles with this house what a waste of money.

I love last weeks even more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Just a quick reminder that there will be an episode about Dermots own new house, I can't wait and I hope they really dig into his spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Your probably not dealing with labourers on 60-70k a year

not sure where you are seeing labourers on 230 plus a day

I don't know what it is but this series isn't blowing me away at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Love the comments on this thread. You'd swear people were spending their own money. It's a TV show for entertainment purposes, they could have millions in the bank for all we know. Some people won't be happy until we see them repaint a 3 bed semi magnolia and put down new carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,783 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't know what it is but this series isn't blowing me away at all!

It's very light touch on heating, grants for fancy dan setups etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

There is when salaries help to artifically inflate our construction industry and a 4 bed semi d in kildare costs up to 465,000.

Grab a pair of gloves, a shovel and make hay while the sun shines, sunshine.

A negative, moany attitude will get you nowhere.

Love the comments on this thread. You'd swear people were spending their own money. It's a TV show for entertainment purposes, they could have millions in the bank for all we know. Some people won't be happy until we see them repaint a 3 bed semi magnolia and put down new carpets.

Its a ****e house for the money they spent. They have decided to go on tv, put themsleves in the public eye and are fair game for criticism.

LirW wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder that there will be an episode about Dermots own new house, I can't wait and I hope they really dig into his spending.

Yea let's see if he goes for his famous plywood kitchen or concrete floor/island. His old house had a kitchen with big steel handles. Yes people handles that he crictises in everyone else's house.

Grab a pair of gloves, a shovel and make hay while the sun shines, sunshine.

A negative, moany attitude will get you nowhere.

Thanks Bertie. Ssssshhhhh dont question the construction trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know that those who watch it are sucked into it. But honestly the budgets are just insane in many cases. I suppose it is escapism for many (like myself) who could not contemplate spending or borrowing that amount of cash for a generic box of an open plan this or that.

Tonight's episode made me realise I am right to criticise some of the budget overspends, and the budgets themselves. As others have said, the builders, and the providers of stuff are the winners.

I really need to see an episode where someone buys a cheap cottage/house and has a 100k or so budget for a refurb. But that's not going to happen is it? But it would be so entertaining to see what could be achieved with a realistic budget for FTBs and others who live in the real world.

The office reminds me of something Hilda Odgen would have put in her house years ago in Coronation Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

appledrop wrote: »
    This house is horrendous for the price/ money spent. Pebbledash is hideous. I would be forever looking at lovely front colour of extension saying why did we not go for that on whole house.

Plywood kitchen awful but what she went for not much better. Bedrooms look very small for 1million house. Also hate those 'subway' tiles in bathroom. That's another poverty trend that will be gone soon + tiles will date very quickly.

Honestly the mind boggles with this house what a waste of money.

I love last weeks even more now!

What sort of kitchen would you have gone for??

Thanks Bertie. Ssssshhhhh dont question the construction trade.

Yeah because it was construction labourers who caused the recession.

Where did you get your PhD in economics from again?

• Advertisement

Yeah because it was construction labourers who caused the recession.

Where did you get your PhD in economics from again?

Trinity.

Not a red one anyway! Couldn't live with red colour like that in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Neames wrote: »
    We are addicted to homes under the hammer they completely return houses in the uk for well under 100k

Homes under the hammer:

What's your budget?

500 pounds.

And replace the boiler!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

How in god's name is that house an improvement?? The pebble dashed house next to a modern extension, who thought that was gonna be pretty??

Surely they could have gotten a bit of land and built a house cheaper for that??

I miss the couple from last week 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

One of the houses in grand design last year used plywood for the walls I think it was, instead of plastering them. The James speyer inspired house...aka ferris buellers day off house. It actually did look gorgeous... I can't link as new account.

Really didn't like this episode... Why did they even bother with a budget...him with his piecharts making it look like he was being prudent, when every conversation was sure add another 50k ... He should check into "the joes school of economics " I'm sure he'd have had a buyer for the shower all lined up :)

Liked the garden but after spending a million I would like to have abit more to say than that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Your probably not dealing with labourers on 60-70k a year

Can you get me the number of the lad paying 60 -70k a year for labourers cause I'm giving up the ceilings in the morning.

Trinity.

Trinity College Dublin awarded you a Doctorate in Economics?

I had heard they were slipping down the world rankings, now I know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

seablue wrote: »
    They started with a budget of 280k!

How can people magic up an extra 100k+ ??

By selling your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

harr wrote: »
    Had a quick look on daft ...some serious houses around commuter belt for 1 million and most have good transport links. Yes I know they want Dublin but why not live in luxury in the country side.

They don't want to spend 3-4 hours each, each day stuck in a car or on a train. 30 minute cycle to Google from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They don't want to spend 3-4 hours each, each day stuck in a car or on a train. 30 minute cycle to Google from there.

Sea views in howth, dart probably 50 mins to grand canal dock.

Clontarf probably 35mins

New estate in dun laoire around 800k probably 15 mins on dart

Plenty of other options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement