Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sea views in howth, dart probably 50 mins to grand canal dock.

Clontarf probably 35mins

New estate in dun laoire around 800k probably 15 mins on dart

Plenty of other options.

Not really - you won't get a detached house in Howth or Clontarf or Dun Laoghaire for that kind of money.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-county/property-for-sale-in-howth?minprice=600000&maxprice=800000

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-3/property-for-sale-in-clontarf?minprice=600000&maxprice=800000

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-county/property-for-sale-in-dun-laoghaire?minprice=600000&maxprice=800000

And if you do, you'll probably need to get Dermot in for another €250k build to bring it up to scratch.

She mentioned that she grew up in the area, so she may well have family connections nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Sea views in howth, dart probably 50 mins to grand canal dock.

Clontarf probably 35mins

New estate in dun laoire around 800k probably 15 mins on dart

Plenty of other options.

I still think, even though it's crazy money, that a house in top spec on a detached site exactly the way you want it in one of Dublin's most popular postcodes isn't that bad value for money. It's A rated, they have a fairly big plot for the fact it's in Dublin and pretty close to everywhere with good schools. If you buy a second hand house you'll still spend a substantial sum to bring it up to scratch. If you want the privacy of your own plot that comes at a premium as well and they clearly didn't want to buy in a new-built estate.

I question yer man's whole plan on proudly showing how we spend 120k more than wanted to on national TV as a project manager as well as his wallpaper yoke but if I'd see the house on daft I'd certainly think it is a very nice house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

LirW wrote: »
    I still think, even though it's crazy money, that a house in top spec on a detached site exactly the way you want it in one of Dublin's most popular postcodes isn't that bad value for money.

I would agree. I think the only thing they overpaid for was the initial 580 for the old house that didn't even look habitable. They were probably in a bidding war if that's what they paid for it. The completed build is high spec with what appears to be an air to water heat pump and underfloor heating. Across the road in Scholarstown Wood you're looking at 727 for a detached 5 bed with no front garden and postage stamp size back garden. Also not much privacy in a big estate like that which some people would highly value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I still think, even though it's crazy money, that a house in top spec on a detached site exactly the way you want it in one of Dublin's most popular postcodes isn't that bad value for money. It's A rated, they have a fairly big plot for the fact it's in Dublin and pretty close to everywhere with good schools. If you buy a second hand house you'll still spend a substantial sum to bring it up to scratch. If you want the privacy of your own plot that comes at a premium as well and they clearly didn't want to buy in a new-built estate.

I question yer man's whole plan on proudly showing how we spend 120k more than wanted to on national TV as a project manager as well as his wallpaper yoke but if I'd see the house on daft I'd certainly think it is a very nice house.

Yeh look i think this couple obviously work very hard and probably have very little down time so when they relax they want to do it in luxury. For me personally its silly money. Id rather buy a serious house 20-30 mins out the road and not have to rip the guts out of it.

They have put themseleves on national tv so are fully open to people criticisms and opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Neames wrote: »
    Homes under the hammer:

What are you going to do?

Completely renovate....rewire electrics, new bathrooms, new roof, new kitchen, repaint the house.

What's your budget?

500 pounds.

My 85 year old mother shouts “ lies lies lies it’s all lies” at this bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

splinter65 wrote: »
    Neames wrote: »
    Homes under the hammer:

What are you going to do?

Completely renovate....rewire electrics, new bathrooms, new roof, new kitchen, repaint the house.

What's your budget?

500 pounds.

My 85 year old mother shouts “ lies lies lies it’s all lies” at this bit.
    They're usually doing the work at mates rates on the black, and they never include anything for their own time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

vicwatson wrote: »
    It’s hard to warm to these two.

They’d a very hard act to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Straight from the Irish times, several examples of what 750,000 ish will get you in Dublin 14. Prepared to be shocked !

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-sold-for-740k-and-less-in-d14-glenageary-clonskeagh-and-clontarf-1.4023734?mode=amp

They’d been through a lot and know themselves what they wanted to prioritize and what they like.
    No point complaining about someone else’s taste.
    I liked it, even the dash.
    And I’d love a courtyard garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought they were a nice couple.

Crazy money though, even with well paid jobs they will be in debt to their hole for an 80 year old house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

I thought they were a nice couple.

Crazy money though, even with well paid jobs they will be in debt to their hole for an 80 year old house.

hmm not sure about that - could be wrong but with that refurb budget sounds like google share money !

Autosport wrote: »
    I don’t like the kitchen

Thoought the same, the presses were like something you'd see in a mobile home.

whatever76 wrote: »
    hmm not sure about that - could be wrong but with that refurb budget sounds like google share money !

Ah didn't realise he worked for Google, even so though the finished house while it was nice was nothing out of the ordinary considering the money they put into it.

Where were the builders from, they didn't sound like Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’m sitting watching homes under the hammer and last nights show is showing up what absolute upstarts some Irish people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where were the builders from, they didn't sound like Dubs.

Offaly regs on a lot of their vans and plant. Noticed Munster Joinery were back on window duty last week and last night again too.

I liked the house and design overall. Courtyard garden was nice but as others have said, its a busy road so will never be a quiet garden no matter the bs about wall and hedges screening the noise. Think the pebble dash inside was a nice feature, linking old with new. Worst case they can always plaster it over in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well I think close to 600k is bonkers for a 2 bed, however if I was buying it for the land it stood on, I would have knocked the whole thing down.

In the end there was no budget so I can't see it adding too much to the cost. You would then have a nice brand new modern house. Rather than old house plus new extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

I enjoyed the show. Actually I fail to see what all the griping on this thread is. Sounds like a load of disgruntled and begrudging people.

It was stated at the start of the programme that the couple had come through a life-changing experience, with the wife having had breast cancer. Talking from experience, I can say that something like that experience can change your priorities in life. Money becomes literally immaterial - no pun intended!

The wife is now tuning into her heart regarding that house, with which she fell in love. The husband is ready to leave no stone unturned in order to give her her heart's desire - no matter what the cost. They now have something unique, totally detached in its own grounds, which gives them what they want. Who cares about the cost - if you have the money, which they obviously have? The wife's recovery and overall happiness of the family takes priority.

If they have the money, how they spend it is their business.

They now have something that pleases every member of the family and more besides. This with the help of Dermot and his Team. Job well done all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

They don't want to spend 3-4 hours each, each day stuck in a car or on a train. 30 minute cycle to Google from there.
    Hubby didnt strike me as a man for a bike :rolleyes:

Liked it, but crazy money, but only crazy cuz I cant afford it

I enjoyed the show. Actually I fail to see what all the griping on this thread is. Sounds like a load of disgruntled and begrudging people.

I don't think anyone is begrudging it at all.

The point most people are making is the guy said 280k and not a cent more. There was clips of him buried in spreadsheets and piecharts making it appear like he was accounting for every nail used.

Then they went so spectacularly over budget in true room to improve style.

Now it could well be that their budget was 400k from the offset but said 280 to reel in dermot.

I know if I was hiring him I'd undercut the budget by 30% as without fail he nearly always goes over budget by that much.

They got the house that they want in the area they wanted that's the most important thing for them.

They put themselves on the TV, so that opens up scrutiny from the general public.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is begrudging it at all.

I enjoyed the show and then read several pages on this thread that had not a good word to say about anything, especially the husband. There were lots of nasty personalized remarks insinuating that he was not fit for his job in Google, that he did not look like one that would ride a bicycle etc. Don't expect me to go back over a load of invective on this thread in order to find quotes.

Another one I remember states that having gone on "National TV", they can expect to be fair game for anything that people want to throw at them. (Words to that effect) So the understanding is you go on National TV in order to take a load of pot-shots from the delightful members of this and other similar forums. Looking back now, I know i should have reported these posts, but there were so many I feared I would be accused of "spam reporting" by the Mods. Cowardly me!

Even you, Princess, seem to hold this opinion

They put themselves on the TV, so that opens up scrutiny from the general public.

IMO, your choice of the word "scrutiny" comes across as a euphemism for what has gone on on this thread.

It did state in the program that a lot extra had been added onto the original brief by "Hubby" which would have bumped up the price to a certain extent. Otherwise it's a given that the price will be bumped up, as is the case with many shows of this type.

I enjoyed the show and then read several pages on this thread that had not a good word to say about anything, especially the husband. There were lots of nasty personalized remarks insinuating that he was not fit for his job in Google, that he did not look like one that would ride a bicycle etc. Don't expect me to go back over a load of invective on this thread in order to find quotes.

Another one I remember states that having gone on "National TV", they can expect to be fair game for anything that people want to throw at them. (Words to that effect) So the understanding is you go on National TV in order to take a load of pot-shots from the delightful members of this and other similar forums. Looking back now, I know i should have reported these posts, but there were so many I feared I would be accused of "spam reporting" by the Mods. Cowardly me!

Even you, Princess, seem to hold this opinion

IMO, your choice of the word "scrutiny" comes across as a euphemism for what has gone on on this thread.

It did state in the program that a lot extra had been added onto the original brief by "Hubby" which would have bumped up the price to a certain extent. Otherwise it's a given that the price will be bumped up, as is the case with many shows of this type.

Some posters have said some personal stuff but that's what happens if you sign up to these types of shows.

Would I put myself in that position? Only if I was getting the house for free!

I scrutinised the budget and the approach to the budget. Which I think is fair game in these programmes. The vast majority of posters have been the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is no point building or significantly extending and renovating your own house if you don't put your own stamp on it and include things you want to have. They could afford it and they got the house they wanted. I'm getting a bit bored with split level sitting room but other than that I thought the house was nice. As for money spent on it you can pay 500 Euro for sofa or you can pay 5000 Euro. It might not matter to those who think plastic recliner from Dfs is the height of sophistication but there is a difference in quality. Same goes for kitchen finish and while the colour is not my favourite the kitchen looks finished very well and to a lot higher standard than a camper van kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

house last night look very well in the end but it's not really a home improvement show anymore is it?

380k for home improvements - what happened to people just putting an en suite and knocking down a wall or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    house last night look very well in the end but it's not really a home improvement show anymore is it?

380k for home improvements - what happened to people just putting an en suite and knocking down a wall or 2?

But who cares about magnolia paint, knocking a few walls and adding an ensuite. Before mentioned Homes Under the Hammer just do before and after because the process in between isn't exactly creative or interesting.

B_ecke_r wrote: »

With all due respects, B_ecke_r, what you suggest, has been done to death already in several different programs in various TV channels. More of this would not attract many watchers, which RTE needs. We crave Entertainment, which Room to Improve is about. So that's what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think there's room for the cheaper projects and would certainly enjoy seeing more of them ("The House That £100k Built" on BBC was brilliant for this) and Room to Improve certainly used to do some smaller renovations. Even Grand Designs has focused on some amazing low-cost builds.

If I were working for CoCo I'd be making sure to select a range of different budgets and project sizes for each season. It's great to watch someone blow a million on a really cool house occasionally (though, personally, this weeks house wouldn't be one I'd spend a million on) but I tend to find the more grounded episodes more interesting if only because it's not totally unrealistic to think that I might someday be able to apply what I learn from them to my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

As a person who has been gripped by purchasing fever on more than one occasion - the comedown from buyers remorse is no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

While not overly bothered by the higher budgets on the projects in recent series I wonder will it have a knock on effect in the real world. People may not upgrade or retrofit their heating/insulation systems if they perceive that you need to spend €100k's to get any sort of improvement in energy efficiency.

• Advertisement

As someone who has and is trying to get work done on an old house, the prices quoted don’t surprise me.

The finishes are always immaculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement