Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just went looking for information on the grand designs project another poster mentioned, think it aired yesterday. Now that is a project! Kind of bored of room to improve. In general mundane boring properties, big budget!

Its not much of a challenge in fairness, well paying paying the money back will be, but I mean the projects themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just went looking for information on the grand designs project another poster mentioned, think it aired yesterday. Now that is a project! Kind of bored of room to improve. In general mundane boring properties, big budget!

Its not much of a challenge in fairness, well paying paying the money back will be, but I mean the projects themselves...

RTI has become a tad repetitive - always a fixer upper never a ground up project guess they would need to change the title for that to work.

Grand Designs can be a bit hit and miss too though - I've watched it over the years and it has changed a lot - again you can see the "fashion" aspect to a lot of the projects over the years. I wouldn't be too critical of RTI as these shows go - what was that awful one years ago on RTE that seemed to be all about how much insulation you used in the walls, the guy didn't give a $****e about the layout or design just how many mms of insulation. Although in a way a good mix of the technical spec and design aspects would in my mind make a better quality show. Grand Designs back in the day was exactly that - they usually covered a lot about the engineering and why you would install one type of heating over another etc. That stuff is interesting to people I think - although they don't do that stuff now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Sleepy wrote: »
    For those giving out about the budget, take a look at this week's grand designs for a lesson in what can be done with very little cash. Timescale goes out the window mind!

It was interesting but he did the vast majority of work by himself. That’s not feasible/desirable for most people and labour makes up a huge part of the budget for building projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

LizT wrote: »
    It was interesting but he did the vast majority of work by himself. That’s not feasible/desirable for most people and labour makes up a huge part of the budget for building projects.
    Oh, I know that. Most of us don't have the luxury of spending 5 years building a home but some do and, ime, you really can teach yourself how to do most jobs yourself. Obviously, there's legislation in place limiting what you can do but most of us are capable of tackling quite a lot of the work ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Grand Design house owners tend to be more hands on with a good few building it themselves and others project managing it and hiring direct labour. Its a different type of program from Room to Improve where the owners are generally hands off. Grand Designs also seems to have a lot of architects/engineers building their own houses, people who have a solid knowledge and experience of building houses from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

They are completely different shows. One is about architect advising people what they can do with the property they have and recording a few hiccups and design issues in between. The other is about implementation of the design. Grand Designs steps in a few stages later and films and concentrates on building processes, financing and challenges process throws at people. Very often architect of the design doesn't even feature. I like both but even Grand Designs wouldn't be for people who don't like flat roofs or big windows. Very few projects are made on little money.

We did a lot ourselves, we used s crane we (well business) owned when putting together timber frame, timber frame including windows and entrance doors was imported and cheaper for better quality, we had trade contacts for certain materials (we are not in building sector) and there was nothing left from 335k mortgage + more. We were building in 08/09.We probably aren't people with exactly cheapest taste and our budgeting is nonexistent but I just don't believe in astronomical savings people expect. Maybe if you are not in full time employment or have loads of friends and family who are prepared to work for free. Self builds are expensive. Unless you own very expensive land in most cases buying existing property would be cheaper. The advantage of self build is that you build house the way you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

meeeeh wrote: »
    We were building in 08/09.We probably aren't people with exactly cheapest taste and our budgeting is nonexistent but I just don't believe in astronomical savings people expect. Maybe if you are not in full time employment or have loads of friends and family who are prepared to work for free. Self builds are expensive. Unless you own very expensive land in most cases buying existing property would be cheaper. The advantage of self build is that you build house the way you want it to be.

I understand you dont believe it but some (Including myself) are doing it.
    One big ticket item I got quotes for was Crittall style screen. The quotes I got in Ireland ranged from 16k to 24k.
    I got them custom made in England for 3500GBP. All it took was some research and some emails sent. That's a very big saving in anyones budget. Throw in your window budget (As you did) and Kitchen budget and I think you'll see a lot of savings can be made very very easily with just a bit of effort.

I dont think anyone would deny that the cost of building a house is high but for what you paid you probably have a very big house. RTI doesn't give them a massive house to go along with the massive budget. They get a normal sized house at a very very inflated price

Also just in terms of taste. I'm not sure people can have expensive taste. They have taste and buy accordingly. Perhaps some items your drawn to are more expensive but people can have bad taste and spend a fortune on it (The Grand designs episode recently where this couple built beside a lake they owned springs to mind)

Apologies for digressing again.

seannash wrote: »
    Also just in terms of taste. I'm not sure people can have expensive taste. They have taste and buy accordingly.
    I'd disagree with you on this aspect. I could introduce you to quite a few women I know whose "taste" is influenced by the price tag more than the product/style. :D

Fools and their money and all that!

I understand you dont believe it but some (Including myself) are doing it.
    One big ticket item I got quotes for was Crittall style screen. The quotes I got in Ireland ranged from 16k to 24k.
    I got them custom made in England for 3500GBP. All it took was some research and some emails sent. That's a very big saving in anyones budget. Throw in your window budget (As you did) and Kitchen budget and I think you'll see a lot of savings can be made very very easily with just a bit of effort.

I dont think anyone would deny that the cost of building a house is high but for what you paid you probably have a very big house. RTI doesn't give them a massive house to go along with the massive budget. They get a normal sized house at a very very inflated price

Also just in terms of taste. I'm not sure people can have expensive taste. They have taste and buy accordingly. Perhaps some items your drawn to are more expensive but people can have bad taste and spend a fortune on it (The Grand designs episode recently where this couple built beside a lake they owned springs to mind)

Apologies for digressing again.

But you are spending 140k if I remember correctly on an extension. If you went for couple of high cost items like underfloor heating and heat pump you could end tens of thousands. It's not that cheap. I think our house is around 280sqm, I have sneaky suspicion that when you do cost per sqm a lot of cheap extensions would turn out a lot less cheap.

But you are spending 140k if I remember correctly on an extension. If you went for couple of high cost items like underfloor heating and heat pump you could end tens of thousands. It's not that cheap. I think our house is around 280sqm, I have sneaky suspicion that when you do cost per sqm a lot of cheap extensions would turn out a lot less cheap.
    Double height extension and whole house renovation (Stripped back to bare ceiling joists and brick on each floor, new heating, plumbing and wiring) for 140k

Also on a listed building which brings extra cost.
    Absolutely agree that the heat pump and underfloor will cost but not everyone has to or wants to go with that.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree with you on this aspect. I could introduce you to quite a few women I know whose "taste" is influenced by the price tag more than the product/style. :D

:)No absolutely agree, some people just go for the pricetag. Which is totally fine. I just think that your taste is your taste regardless of budget. Everyone will agree that out there somewhere is a ferarri they find beautiful.We agree its lovely. Our taste is saying its a beautiful car but not many can afford it. Its still suits your taste just not your budget if you get me.

By the way I'm in no way saying that people who spend that amount of money are foolish, not at all. Go for it.
    I just think that on RTI they overpay for what they get and would love to see someone challenge the figures or show a different way of doing it all with Dermot on board

Just to be clear I was talking of using marble hall and kitchen (got a bit of discount on it because good friends family own the business, not in Ireland), similarly we went for solid oak flooring and curved staircase. It's not essential stuff by any means but we were building for life. We didn't have sitting room for about 6 years until we could afford sofas we liked. We are still adding some furniture pieces. It's not that I like the big price tags, it is the quality we wanted and I'm not apologising for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What difference would it may to the show if they never mentioned the budget?

Addle wrote: »
    What difference would it may to the show if they never mentioned the budget?
    It adds to the drama to be honest. It would also work in reverse if the cost was very cheap and they got a fabulous house.

I saw a gardening show on British tv yesterday where people chose between an old gardening tv personality and Chelsea flower show competitors.
    They had a budget of £2,500 for a tiny garden and the result was laughably sh!t.

I saw a gardening show on British tv yesterday where people chose between an old gardening tv personality and Chelsea flower show competitors.
    They had a budget of £2,500 for a tiny garden and the result was laughably sh!t.
    Theres no way to say this without sounding confrontational which im not trying to be but whats your point

That low budgets don’t mean a good show.

That low budgets don’t mean a good show.

And high budgets dont guarantee good shows.
    Surely a balance is achievable, good show with a smaller budget.

Just to be clear I was talking of using marble hall and kitchen (got a bit of discount on it because good friends family own the business, not in Ireland), similarly we went for solid oak flooring and curved staircase. It's not essential stuff by any means but we were building for life. We didn't have sitting room for about 6 years until we could afford sofas we liked. We are still adding some furniture pieces. It's not that I like the big price tags, it is the quality we wanted and I'm not apologising for that.
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to you, just thinking of a particular friend's wife who, no matter what you showed her would opt for whatever's more expensive purely because it's expensive.

I'd agree that it can be worth prioritising your spend towards the "permanent" stuff and leaving furnishing etc. for later. We've done similar in ours: the suite in the living room is a cousin's old one and the furniture is all low end IKEA stuff. We put our money into the kitchen and bathroom instead. And even there, the taps, bath etc. were all sourced online / from adverts.

• Advertisement

And high budgets dont guarantee good shows.
    Surely a balance is achievable, good show with a smaller budget.
    I think a balance is to do a mix of budgets TBH.

All projects come down to three variables: Budget, Time and Quality. You can have two of the three: Cheap and High Quality means long time scales (and doing a lot of the work yourself). Fast and Cheap = ****e quality, Fast and Quality means expensive etc. etc. etc.

So far this season at least, RTI has featured projects focused on speed and quality. It'd be nice to see them show some that focus on Budget and Quality (or even Budget and Speed so we can all have a good laugh at the monstrosity).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Also many with young families avoid expensive furniture until the children have grown a little

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I watched an episode of Grand Designs from 2014 were an architect from Derry built his own home on the family farm out of 4 shipping containers.

This project finished off at the highest level of standard and came in at £135000. He did spend £16000 on a hammock styled bath but overall the home was special.

Some difference in the price compared to what Dermot would offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was out for a walk with a friend yesterday and she pointed out a house that's going to feature on Room To Improve. She said the only original features from the old house are the 2 gable walls, the rest was knocked. They're about a year working on the house.

The house is in a great location with fantastic views over the bay so the home owners will have a fabulous view from their glass cube. The house looks like a cube within a cube and currently looks like a blot on the landscape compared to the other houses in the area but it will be interesting to see the end result.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I watched an episode of Grand Designs from 2014 were an architect from Derry built his own home on the family farm out of 4 shipping containers.

This project finished off at the highest level of standard and came in at £135000. He did spend £16000 on a hammock styled bath but overall the home was special.

An average price for house in Ireland in 2014 was about 185k. The build cost of 135k in Euro for 2014 is 166k. I don't know about other businesses but I know wage cost in our business was at least 20% lower (we compete for some employees with building sector) in 2014 so were insurance and other similar cost.

You are comparing prices to 5 years ago when we were all still recovering from recession. I'm sure it was an interesting project, those on Grand Designs tend to be more interesting but the comparison to today's prices is nonsense. And I'm sure that prices will increase further considering the planned energy rating requirements for returns where an extension is more than 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Charlie19 wrote: »

Grand Designs recently had a special anniversary episode where they went back to a number of properties. The lad who built the container house was an architect himself and built it as a concept house for his architecture business. Said he got loads of interest from all over the world but he hasn’t been involved in another because people can’t get planning permission, or by the time the design meets codes, it cheaper to build a standard house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Humour Me wrote: »
    Grand Designs recently had a special anniversary episode where they went back to a number of properties. The lad who built the container house was an architect himself and built it as a concept house for his architecture business. Said he got loads of interest from all over the world but he hasn’t been involved in another because people can’t get planning permission, or by the time the design meets codes, it cheaper to build a standard house.

I think that the problem that most people had was with getting a mortgage for a container house?

Technique wrote: »
    I think that the problem that most people had was with getting a mortgage for a container house?

Yeah i dont recall anything about it being more expensive than a regular build

I remember reading about someone else building a container house and the advantage was that they could squeeze it on small site and it was cheaper than conventional build on that site. It cost 300k + 50k for site and they wanted to ad another floor that would cost 75k but they had to save for it because banks would not loan to them.

There are lots of different factors when you are comparing different builds, it depends what site is like, the access, materials, quality and so on.

Anyway link to the article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/best-of-2017-seven-shipping-containers-become-a-family-home-1.2983804?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Humour Me wrote: »

Yeah that was architect Patrick Bradley, he was also a judge on Home of the Year up until last year. I miss him on Home of the Year as he has a real infectious enthusiasm for good design and architecture. He was also great at winding up 'design legend' Hugh Wallace

The Grand Designs special was Kevin McCloud picking his 5 most favourite projects across 180 episodes, of which Bradleys container home was one
    https://www.pb-architects.com/

Technique wrote: »

Yeah from the special program Bradley was saying that loads of people contacted him looking to build a similar container home but the problem was you could only build one for cash as the British banks wouldnt give a mortgage on them. Im not sure if the couple in Ringend who built a container home did it for cash or not but I think it ended up costing slightly more than a traditional build of the same size.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement