Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

nuac wrote: »
    In Grand Designs what is the function of the red disk carried by some of the actors or left on tables?

You talking about home of the year?
    If so its the homeowners favourite spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Favourite spot of the house.

Is that not Home of the Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I'm a bit behind ., but I'd be a lot more serious if I was spending a quarter of that budget.
    It all seemed a bit too funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

i agree the whole space was lovely except for the kitchen sink and island colour. i would like to see that sink in 6 months after pots and pans are dumped into it
    Plus, it's a single small-looking sink (although the 4m giant of an island make be skewing my perception) - I've only me in the house, and I'd be lost without my 1.5 sink!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say it was an outstanding house overall. Wouldn't be a fan of gold tap or sink but each to their own.

The only other small thing is I do think the man cave should have a way to close it off from open plan.

It's a huge house put cant escape from people although I suppose they could go up to yoga room if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not sure what the point in having that family on, they clearly had the money to hire dermot privately? I thought the point of it was dermot giving a helping hand to those who need it?

PARlance wrote: »
    Lovely house and lovely couple but 550+k spend is just nuts.
    How is it nuts?

No mortgage, he's in a very senior management role presumably being paid a small fortune, she's working as well - they're hardly going to be on supplementary welfare after it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

PARlance wrote: »
    Lovely house and lovely couple but 550+k spend is just nuts.

The spend is always nuts and out of context with what most paye workers could afford. Thats the big dislike i have for this show. Wheres the couple in the 3 bed semi looking to make 50k work for a decent extension. Say 25sqm with a small jacks and just a room for the kids.

Wheres the challenge with a budget of 500k?

More power to the couple though. They obviously have it and best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

That bath will be used 5-6 times in the first year and then abandoned. It would take ages to fill.
    Proper power shower and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

klose wrote: »
    Not sure what the point in having that family on, they clearly had the money to hire dermot privately? I thought the point of it was dermot giving a helping hand to those who need it?

What makes you think that’s the point?

• Advertisement

Its not anymore. Yet again RTE losing touch with the common viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hmm..... where did you get that impression?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Exterior looked great, fantastic looking house from the outside.
    And the space inside was great but i have to say the interior decor was awful. Pool table, leather sofas (when will irish people stop equating leather sofas with quality or grandeur) the swing. It was all over the place. Like last week i have a feeling it was a couple with no taste but wanted a wow house.
    Bath in the room is tacky and the bath they picked was also awful. Its one saving grace was that it wasn't the stone one they were in earlier which was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Limited budget doesn't offer much variety in episodes, I think it would be a lot harder to make it interesting. Anyway I'm glad there was no split level sitting room. And I love two faced sculpture, the butterflies do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

seannash wrote: »
    And the space inside was great but i have to say the interior decor was awful. Pool table, leather sofas (when will irish people stop equating leather sofas with quality or grandeur) the swing. It was all over the place. Like last week i have a feeling it was a couple with no taste but wanted a wow house.
    Bath in the room is tacky and the bath they picked was also awful. Its one saving grace was that it wasn't the stone one they were in earlier which was worse.
    Sofa , that’s very fancy ;)
    Leather couches are great especially for families as spills etc can be cleaned without staining the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Such a waste of money.

The family are mature in another few years the kids will have flown the nest.

More money than brains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I thought it was great. The only criticism and this is aimed at the format in general is that the programme all feels very rushed and very little of the build or technical details are shown. Dermot and the homeowners are the stars with the house left in the distance. That's why I still prefer Grand Designs.

ted1 wrote: »
    Sofa , that’s very fancy ;)
    Leather couches are great especially for families as spills etc can be cleaned without staining the couch.
    Did I not see a silvery-grey fabric couch being filmed from ground level at some stage?

Didn't even notice the leather sofas!

But agree they're very practical.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Such a waste of money.

More money than brains

Its their money.

But yeh i agree.

Lovely couple , nicely designed house but it wouldn’t be for me.

For some reason I didn’t find tonight’s episode very interesting. I prefer the more down to earth houses. Like another poster said I loved the Donabate house a year ago. These super big houses leave me a bit cold.

• Advertisement

Such a waste of money.

More money than brains
    Jesus, what's with all the begrudgery (not just this post)?

Their youngest kid looked about 7 or 8, they've plenty of living to do in that house yet!

And they clearly have plenty of money, why not spend it? They don't look or seem short of a brain cell or two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

meeeeh wrote: »
    Limited budget doesn't offer much variety in episodes, I think it would be a lot harder to make it interesting. Anyway I'm glad there was no split level sitting room. And I love two faced sculpture, the butterflies do nothing for me.

but they showed very little of the build anyway. most of the program was fluff anout the kids and themselves. mostly nonscense.

a basic everyday house with a modest budget trying to impove the function of the house would be a lot better. a bit of rearanging and better design could really imprve a lot of houses . and make better telivision for the everyday person who could actually do similar

Lovely couple , nicely designed house but it wouldn’t be for me.

For some reason I didn’t find tonight’s episode very interesting. I prefer the more down to earth houses. Like another poster said I loved the Donabate house a year ago. These super big houses leave me a bit cold.

Id agree. Especially with these eye watering budgets.
    Genuine question , is it a narcissistic thing with some of these couples. They could easily afford a decent Architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I never got the sense that was the programs MO?
    People complaining about the money being spent and asking for show with lower budgets have to remember this is an entertainment show- viewer numbers wouldn’t be great if we were looking at a €50-100k tidy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Such a waste of money.

More money than brains

Absolutely more money than sense. Lovely house but they should have kept their money and retired.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭klose

meeeeh wrote: »

I think what was ultimately an unlimited budget made it very uninteresting but each to their own.

I don't think the show will go back to the regular Joe soaps anyways

Absolutely more money than sense. Lovely house but they should have kept their money and retired.
    And do what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I thought it was great. The only criticism and this is aimed at the format in general is that the programme all feels very rushed and very little of the build or technical details are shown. Dermot and the homeowners are the stars with the house left in the distance. That's why I still prefer Grand Designs.

this could easily have been a 2 hour program the way they did it. it felt like you were watching on plus 1 and poped back to normal viewing with 15 minutes to go and missed all the middle bit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And do what?

Whatever they wanted!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

seannash wrote: »
    And the space inside was great but i have to say the interior decor was awful. Pool table, leather sofas (when will irish people stop equating leather sofas with quality or grandeur) the swing.

It's nice sofa and there are no faux period features in sight. The leather doesn't stain as much and even if it does it's more a sign of being lived in while fabric sofas just look dirty. It's practical and you don't need to worry about upholstery every few years or buying a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement