Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Whatever they wanted!

like do up their home into their dream home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Was watching Grand Designs favourite 5 episodes this evening-Kevin (I’m on first name terms!) chose Patrick’s container house as probably his favourite. He built a stunning home for less than 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Such a waste of money.

The family are mature in another few years the kids will have flown the nest.

More money than brains
    Loads of couples renovate their homes after their children have flown the coop-probably because they can’t afford it until then.
    And the next generation are glad when they need a babysitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I think its no harm to throw in the bigger budget to the odd show even if only to show the value some of the small budget builds get . 
    The couple seemed nice and got all they wanted in a house . We mightn't like everything they had but they did so fair play . I'd love to build myself something with that  sized budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I resent paying the TV license to help subsidise the already well off secure Bannons services. They could well afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

seannash wrote: »
    Exterior looked great, fantastic looking house from the outside.
    And the space inside was great but i have to say the interior decor was awful. Pool table, leather sofas (when will irish people stop equating leather sofas with quality or grandeur) the swing. It was all over the place. Like last week i have a feeling it was a couple with no taste but wanted a wow house.
    Bath in the room is tacky and the bath they picked was also awful. Its one saving grace was that it wasn't the stone one they were in earlier which was worse.

The shows designers stage the furniture for the party scene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I resent paying the TV license to help subsidise the already well off secure Bannons services. They could well afford.
    It’s probably one of the only shows that make rte money. BOI are paying for it, not the license fee payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Whatever they wanted!

Like build the house of their dreams for themselves and their family?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Great result. More power to them, they worked hard enough for it I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How is it nuts?

No mortgage, he's in a very senior management role presumably being paid a small fortune, she's working as well - they're hardly going to be on supplementary welfare after it!

Less of the dramatics, I didn't say anything about them being able to afford it.

When Dermot can't even spend his budget, I think it's safe to say that it's not normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wally79 wrote: »
    The shows designers stage the furniture for the party scene

So the 197k didnt include the furiture? I doubt they let them screw a swinging chair into the ceiling just for tge last scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jesus, what's with all the begrudgery (not just this post)?

Their youngest kid looked about 7 or 8, they've plenty of living to do in that house yet!

And they clearly have plenty of money, why not spend it? They don't look or seem short of a brain cell or two either.

They could have bought three large villas with pools in southern Spain for that spend.

PARlance wrote: »
    Less of the dramatics, I didn't say anything about them being able to afford it.

When Dermot can't even spend his budget, I think it's safe to say that it's not normal.

i am very supprised by that.
    why didnt he make it larger or add a few extra features to get the most from their budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Loved the house.

I would absolutely love the mezzanine yoga space she got, though I'd just curl up in that swing chair and daydream away.

While I like sinks in an island like that, for some reason, ignoring the gold, it reminded me of my college science lab? Maybe it was the shape of the tap?

I just wish they'd spend more time showing the end product, everything is shown wide angled, no real close ups.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's nice sofa and there are no faux period features in sight. The leather doesn't stain as much and even if it does it's more a sign of being lived in while fabric sofas just look dirty. It's practical and you don't need to worry about upholstery every few years or buying a new one.

Buying a new sofa (or recovering it) is hardly someone with that budget would be worried about.
    As for fabric being dirty eventually, i wont argue but for the time they are xlean they look a lot better. Those sorts of leather sofas never look nice, you see them in every Irish home dtill

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

why didnt he make it larger or add a few extra features to get the most from their budget

Limted by the size of the site I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know about others but making house bigger or adding a swimming pool or whatever else just because you can is not a great idea. Besides you can always spend your money on another artwork that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They could have bought two large villas with pools in southern Spain for that spend.

One each, like? I don't think that's their style tbh.

Why does everyone think they know better how to spend others' money?

I don't think I've ever seen a couple happier with the whole process, and the outcome.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't know about others but making house bigger or adding a swimming pool or whatever else just because you can is not a great idea. Besides you can always spend your money on another artwork that you like.

i dont mean add stuff just for the sake of it. a pool would be a total waste but an office or larger beadrooms wouldnt be or an ensuite etc

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

gmisk wrote: »
    I like the bath actually and it was kind of tucked away in room, glad they didn't go with huge stone one.

But you can see your ducky and everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They could have bought two large villas with pools in southern Spain for that spend.
    It would be a bit far for them to get to work every day....

Also they were on a street with their family who they seemed mad close too, which I thought was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Can't imagine my farting in the bath while the missus is reading her Mills and Boons would go down well.

Neames wrote: »
    But you can see your ducky and everything!
    That wasn't the big stone bath at the end they bought the other one :)

The other one looked like a pestle and mortar...

Also wanted to say there was a programme on BBC that featured a northern irish architect.
    The premise of the show was two architects would design and using virtual reality they would walk the clients through the design. Home owners would pick and build their favourite.
    The northern Irish fella had some fantastic ideas and the budgets were a lot more normal.
    Anyone else watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

i dont mean add stuff just for the sake of it. a pool would be a total waste but an office or larger beadrooms wouldnt be or an ensuite etc

And it could be just another room you don't use, or a room bigger than you need. It seems to me they got the house they wanted and they spent the money on things they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That wasn't the big stone bath at the end they bought the other one :)

The other one looked like a pestle and mortar...

Am I the only person on the whole internet who loved that stone bath?

If only I had the house to put it in........

seannash wrote: »
    Also wanted to say there was a programme on BBC that featured a northern irish architect.
    The premise of the show was two architects would design and using virtual reality they would walk the clients through the design. Home owners would pick and build their favourite.
    The northern Irish fella had some fantastic ideas and the budgets were a lot more normal.
    Anyone else watch it
    It was on BBC 2 I saw a couple of them it was excellent! I think Angela scanlan presented it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

If they have the money and they like it, I don't see why not. QS is out of line with her reaction IMO.

Probably scripted, tbh. The script writer is third from the top in the credits. The majority of the clients comments are absolutely scripted. Ever wonder why each client says stuff like "beyond my wildest dreams". Unless, of course they have changed role from client to plaintiff.

One last thing. When will Dermot get sliding doors on the show that have thinner frames? They spend a fortune on big sliding doors with massive ugly frames when there is cost affective slimmer options out there for years now

• Advertisement

It was on BBC 2 I saw a couple of them it was excellent! I think Angela scanlan presented it maybe?

Ah yeah thats it.
    I think for people who are hung up about budgets it was a great watch (i include myself) it really did show what you could get with a little imagination.
    Would love to see that fella tackle some of these projects.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement