Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah thats pretty much how it works, people enquire to Bannons practice about getting work on a house done and if the project is interesting you might end up on Room to Improve. Happened me a couple of years back when trying to buy an old stone cottage on top of a mountain with a spectacular view in Wicklow. I enquired about buying design drawings only and in the process they asked if Id be interested in going on RTI, I ran a mile :pac: I'm not one of those people who wants to be on tv as my privacy is worth more than a free architects fee. Its obviously different for others, the wife who hopped in the jacuzzi with Dermot was definitely someone who wanted to be on tv and for her the free architects fee was just an added bonus.

Thats exactly it except his cock up was he gave the impression he was rushing the job to get on to the next one. What he should have been saying to camera was that the project was 21 weeks but we are going to try our best to get it done in 15 because we want to get the family back into their home and out of rented accomodation. Then the builder looks like a hero rather than someone rushing to get to the next job.

love the sound of your cottage in the Wicklow hills -hope it worked out well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

love the sound of your cottage in the Wicklow hills -hope it worked out well :)

It didnt sadly and the sale eventually fell through. Between septic tanks, new water and ESB connections, the need for an entire new roof and having to build a new road over difficult terrain to the top of a mountain it was out of budget. Someone did eventually take it on but it likely cost them over €100k just to rectify all of the above and before the proper renovation got under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I agree with others that the builder didn't come across great, he just tried too hard to impress, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and get the job done thus putting pressure on Bannon for decisions. Bannon would surely have mentioned how fast the build pace was going anyhow. That was one thing but the site office would be more in place on a large construction site in Dublin.

Although I have to say the job did look really well in the end and the couple came across great. It is still a pity that more of the building work isn't showed and with regards the budgets at this stage they should just say there isn't one, last week and again last night the budget was totally ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I actually thought it was the ugliest house of the current series so far, a horrible game roof extension built on to the side of the house, those timber slats at the front of the house do nothing for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

redbuck wrote: »
    I actually thought it was the ugliest house of the current series so far, a horrible game roof extension built on to the side of the house, those timber slats at the front of the house do nothing for me either.

Maybe I'm comparing it to much too last week which i found hideous especially that pebble-dash, kitchen and office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Lisha wrote: »
    It’s a fantastic sign of them as a couple that he has such a high pressure job and they are still so easy and happy with each other. Guys at that level are under shocking pressure, working stupid hours and travel away, and often their home life can crumble so I like him even more now.

The higher you go up in a company, the more you're paid, the less you do and the less stress you're under.

This is a fact.

Theirs studies on it.

Plus Christ guys I skipped the last 8 pages, ya can't even read this thread anymore with the silly complaining.

IL pop in next to see what crap is posted about small budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FFVII wrote: »
    The higher you go up in a company, the more you're paid, the less you do and the less stress you're under.

This is a fact.

Theirs studies on it.

Plus Christ guys I skipped the last 8 pages, ya can't even read this thread anymore with the silly complaining.

Tge last 8 pages was mostly peopl complaining about poor spelling.

Be glad you skipped it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just finished watching it, 375 k and 195 k for 'extras'.

I built my house for what they used for extras, that's not a dig at them BTW best of luck to them when they can afford it.

Boring episode I thought though, there was no arguing over the budget, they argreed with everything Bannon said and that's the stuff that makes good tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

FFVII wrote: »

This is a fact.

Theirs studies on it.

Have you anything to say about the actual build ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Just finished watching it, 375 k and 195 k for 'extras'.

I built my house for what they used for extras, that's not a dig at them BTW best of luck to them when they can afford it.

Boring episode I thought though, there was no arguing over the budget, they argreed with everything Bannon said and that's the stuff that makes good tele.

For play for building your house for that money!
    But could it be that you're comparing apples and pears? Does yours have 5 bedrooms? Does it have a mezzanine level upstairs and a two storey glass front? Is it up to latest insulation and energy standards? Did you do something yourself or did you have builders from start to finish? They also went for a very high standard of finish.
    For what they got, their location and the current demand for top tradesmen I think they got a pretty sweet deal there. Compare it with other luxury properties in Ashford, their house is easily nicer than most of the ones that ask over a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

redbuck wrote: »

Wasnt keen on the timber slats but can understand why Bannon did it, they had huge windows behind them because that aspect was south facing but it was also pretty close to the road. So he used the timber slats to give them privacy from passing cars but still get the south facing light. One problem though is at nightime cars will be coming in the estate with full beams on shining light into the house. WIth such huge windows that could become a headwrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    One problem though is at nightime cars will be coming in the estate with full beams on shining light into the house. WIth such huge windows that could become a headwrecker.

I have known people to go down the contemapary extension route with large windows and one thing they ended up doing after a while was getting blinds/curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only just watched it and thought it was a lovely finished house and a lovely family. Listened to a bit of the Joe Duffy show earlier where some people were disgusted by the amount of money these people spent and saying rte shouldn't be showing stuff like this!? I don't see what the problem is if that's how people want to spend their money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I have known people to go down the contemapary extension route with large windows and one thing they ended up doing after a while was getting blinds/curtains.

My sister rented an apartment for a couple of years that had a huge glass front in the living room, like a two storey one, her view was amazing. Fortunately it was on the second floor on a hillside so you couldn't see into it. But she had blinds that were bespoke and part of the apartment. You could pull them in horizontally, like fabric strips connected with a small beaded string. They were awful, they constantly broke, because they were covering the whole glass front, it super expensive to fix them and they'd get tangled every other day.

Generally as much as I love bright spaces and glass fronts they're sometimes not practical. And in summer you couldn't be in the open plan living room because it was like a literal oven, on a hot summer day I've seen it getting 45 degrees in there.

Only just watched it and thought it was a lovely finished house and a lovely family. Listened to a bit of the Joe Duffy show earlier where some people were disgusted by the amount of money these people spent and saying rte shouldn't be showing stuff like this!? I don't see what the problem is if that's how people want to spend their money

He basically got axed from RTE and is working in Waterford now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what are they talking about? are they the usual suspects with their free "4 eva" homes, worth over a million euro when you factor in loan interest over 30 years. Paid for the likes of the couple that built the house yesterday? probably... :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what are they talking about? are they the usual suspects with their free "4 eva" homes, worth over a million euro when you factor in loan interest over 30 years. Paid for the likes of the couple that built the house yesterday? probably... :rolleyes:

Some former RTE guy wrote a Tweet last night saying that RTE shouldn't show programs like this because of the homeless crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21627781

Some arguing about it on radio today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Some former RTE guy wrote a Tweet last night saying that RTE shouldn't show programs like this because of the homeless crises.

I thought April fools was months away yet! They should just be showing programmes on povery in africa etc I'm sure! RTE should do an investigation into the world class welfare etc here, do some proper investigation for a change. They can delve into the free houses, tenants not even having to pay LPT etc with the free money they get every week :rolleyes:

That Room to Improve is a disgusting programme. At no time does Bannon question the morality of what he is promoting.

"It's a complete cod of a programme that plays on people's greed, opulence and avarice. And RTE promotes it as entertainment? Pathetic. They should be ashamed."
    Damien Tiernan

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/room-to-improve-is-a-disgusting-programme-former-rte-reporter-damien-tiernan-38549479.html?fbclid=IwAR1PZgR_yBDcInMCqqUMPSUyQEJZHWvKSeN8d8LNk2hzCoXkXsaTGAMdy9E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That Room to Improve is a disgusting programme. At no time does Bannon question the morality of what he is promoting.

"It's a complete cod of a programme that plays on people's greed, opulence and avarice. And RTE promotes it as entertainment? Pathetic. They should be ashamed."
    Damien Tiernan

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/room-to-improve-is-a-disgusting-programme-former-rte-reporter-damien-tiernan-38549479.html?fbclid=IwAR1PZgR_yBDcInMCqqUMPSUyQEJZHWvKSeN8d8LNk2hzCoXkXsaTGAMdy9E

My wife was talking to me about this earlier. I think its a bit rich for someone who has basically fed from the trough for so long to come out with such a rant.

The couple in question lived in the same house for 20 years, the kids had bunk beds and had to share and finally they invested a huge amount, i don't see what the problem was.

Also it was actually nice that we saw a couple invest and be happy to give Dermot a big budget to realize his vision. Rather than the normal fighting and compromising to get it across the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Calhoun wrote: »
    My wife was talking to me about this earlier. I think its a bit rich for someone who has basically fed from the trough for so long to come out with such a rant.

The couple in question lived in the same house for 20 years, the kids had bunk beds and had to share and finally they invested a huge amount, i don't see what the problem was.

Ive no issue. More power to them. But is National TV the right place for this kinda thing. What with a homeless crisis etc. I said it here before and got a lot of stick. These people appearing on the show can obviously afford Architect fees what with their huge budgets so why do they feel the need to go on the national broadcaster? Is there an element of narcissism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Why couldn't that couple know their place and live the life of a couple on the dole for life while also having the decency to pay for the door of others!

On a more serious note why shouldn't people be able to spoil themselves after working hard for it without being ridiculed. If they cannot then why bother working.

Why couldn't that couple know their place and live the life of a couple on the dole for life while also having the decency to pay for the door of others!

On a more serious note why shouldn't people be able to spoil themselves after working hard for it without being ridiculed. If they cannot then why bother working.

Why does it have to be on a station funded by the tax payer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He basically got axed from RTE and is working in Waterford now!

He wasn't axed. He was the one who decided to leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ireland, especially Dublin and it’s surrounds, is full of people earning mega bucks. They earn it and can do what they want with it.
    We’re mortgaged up to our eyeballs, live in a house that needs work that we can’t afford, pay our taxes and license fee, and room to improve is the only programme we watch on rte, or any Irish channel.
    I love it, even when I don’t like it.
    To say room to improve shouldn’t be broadcast as an entertainment show is just bs by begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

License payer, and as mentioned above, the show ultimately creates income for rte.

Ive no issue. More power to them. But is National TV the right place for this kinda thing. What with a homeless crisis etc. I said it here before and got a lot of stick. These people appearing on the show can obviously afford Architect fees what with their huge budgets so why do they feel the need to go on the national broadcaster? Is there an element of narcissism?

They are plenty of program on RTE such as Prime Time, Claire Byrne Live and even the Late Late Show covers these subjects.
    They are also often one off or mini series made on these subjects.
    If these programs pulled in massive numbers RTE would make more of them in my opinion.
    Room to Inprove seems to be what the public want.

Addle wrote: »
    Ireland, especially Dublin and it’s surrounds, is full of people earning mega bucks. They earn it and can do what they want with it.
    We’re mortgaged up to our eyeballs, live in a house that needs work that we can’t afford, pay our taxes and license fee, and room to improve is the only programme we watch on rte, or any Irish channel.
    I love it, even when I don’t like it.
    To say room to improve shouldn’t be broadcast as an entertainment show is just bs by begrudgers.

Just because people think its ****e doesnt mean they are begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

But is it not fair to say that RTE show enough of misery and try to guilt us into feeling at fault for all the woes of the country. I used to listen to Morning Ireland in the mornings on the way to work but got so sick of the hand wringing about migrants, homeless, water charges etc. that I now listen to podcasts. It was actually bringing down my mood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement