Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

irishguy wrote: »
    On last week's episode Dermot mentioned that they would get a 40k+ grant from the sei, was that a mistake? I couldn't see that level of funding for anything. Should it have been 14k?

Further to this - didn't the SEAI run out of money for these grants, and got into all sorts of trouble leaving home-improvers high and dry? (Until they climbed down and agreed to deal with people whose applications were already in the pipeline)

Bit misleading to be mentioning these grants if they're no longer available!

I realise the filming happened a while ago so the grants might have been available at the time - but given the stink that was caused, you'd think they'd either edit out the mentions, or clarify the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If someone spends money based on whey they’ve watched on an entertainment show without doing their own research, then that’s their own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    irishguy wrote: »
    On last week's episode Dermot mentioned that they would get a 40k+ grant from the sei, was that a mistake? I couldn't see that level of funding for anything. Should it have been 14k?

Further to this - didn't the SEAI run out of money for these grants, and got into all sorts of trouble leaving home-improvers high and dry? (Until they climbed down and agreed to deal with people whose applications were already in the pipeline)

Bit misleading to be mentioning these grants if they're no longer available!

I realise the filming happened a while ago so the grants might have been available at the time - but given the stink that was caused, you'd think they'd either edit out the mentions, or clarify the current situation.

the show is not responsible for your house improvement decisions or finances.
    why on earth should they edit things like that out!!!!????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Wesser wrote: »
    the show is not responsible for your house improvement decisions or finances.
    why on earth should they edit things like that out!!!!????

Agreed. The show is not responsible for peoples narcissism. Just promoting it and giving it a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭123654789

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought some people started the work without getting SEAI approval first. I remember some lad on the news from one of the companies doing the work. He was giving out that people started work with the expectation of getting the grant Looked to me like he was just pissed off he wouldn't get paid. I don't get why someone would risk thousands on non approved grant works, but they were probably encouraged by these companies.

More here
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0819/1069653-seai-grant/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

123654789 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought some people started the work without getting SEAI approval first. I remember some lad on the news from one of the companies doing the work. He was giving out that people started work with the expectation of getting the grant Looked to me like he was just pissed off he wouldn't get paid. I don't get why someone would risk thousands on non approved grant works, but they were probably encouraged by these companies.

More here
    Yes this was the problem with most people...neighbors of mine started an extension and some renovations and had grants factored into the costings the company they were doing the paper work for them. Now they they are left with a 16 grand shortfall. If they had of looked and applied for grant before build started they would have been ok. The builder in question said he couldn’t get granted approved till he submitted BER ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

harr wrote: »
    Yes this was the problem with most people...neighbors of mine started an extension and some renovations and had grants factored into the costings the company they were doing the paper work for them. Now they they are left with a 16 grand shortfall. If they had of looked and applied for grant before build started they would have been ok. The builder in question said he couldn’t get granted approved till he submitted BER ratings.
    Sounds wrong. Usually with any grant you need to have approval before works start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ive been talking a lot of smack on this thread so i guess it's time for me to put up or shut up.
    Recently i was given carte blanche to design, layout, furnish and decorate our new offices from scratch. It was an empty floor when i first started

https://imgur.com/gallery/d4jtRaN

Came in under budget too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Does anyone think the kitchen was a bit weak ? It should be the 'wow' factor in any house but I thought it a bit bland. Dermot seems to have equated ' bling' with a gold finish - a bit lazy.
    Kitchen makers must love this new trend - its all sprayed MDF but priced the same as a walnut finished kitchen of course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

123654789 wrote: »

More here

The problem with that scheme (Deep Retrofit Pilot program) was that people applied for the grant in February and were supposed to get a yes or no within 4 weeks of application. Then behind the scenes the SEAI ran out of funding for the grant but instead of being upfront with applicants immediately they hid this information and strung applicants along until June. Because the house had to fully renovated and finished for a deadline of Oct 15th lots of people in April just began building because if they didnt they would miss the deadline and not get the grant anyway.

It was also reported that the SEAI were under instruction from Richard Brutons department not to say anything until the local elections were over- the government are trying to convince us they can tackle climate change and the last thing they wanted in the run up to the election was hundreds of angry homeowners on the tv and airwaves saying they are trying to do their bit to reduce their carbon footprint but the government is refusing to stump up for the grants to achieve that. The whole mess was a bit of realpolitick at play by Fine Gael with grant applicants used as the pawns in a larger game.

Anyway the govt. climbed down and the people who applied will get their grant. But considering this was a pilot scheme for only 300 houses the administration of the grant doesnt bode well for the future government targets of retrofitting hundreds of thousands of homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

The spend is always nuts and out of context with what most paye workers could afford. Thats the big dislike i have for this show. Wheres the couple in the 3 bed semi looking to make 50k work for a decent extension. Say 25sqm with a small jacks and just a room for the kids.

Wheres the challenge with a budget of 500k?

More power to the couple though. They obviously have it and best of luck to them

You won’t get anything for 50k, at least not in terms of a construction project. Thats not realistic and wouldn’t make for good tv. There are other tv programmes on RTÉ, Desperate Houses for example that works with people on smaller budgets, but it’s small scale stuff, redecoration and layout of a room or two.

My favorite programme on tv is Grand Designs. I’ll never be able to afford anything like the properties that are featured on it but I still enjoy watching it. You might not have the money to do everything that is featured on RTI but you might pick up an idea or two that is achievable. Being envious of people who are in a position to renovate their house to that standard (and presumably worked hard to be able to do that I’m sure) comes across as just a little bit petty to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Felt there was very little of the actual build in this week's program - probably due to being under budget. It has a bit of a library or dental clinic look to the front.
    Although I didn't think that the view was best utilised in the design, but I'm not sure that views were high up the list of priorities.

It was all about the fittings. I thought the gold tap and sink (or gold effect) was a bit naff looking.

I suppose I do question the size when two of the children look that they will only be around for a year or two more.

However I agree with the previous post who said that they may as well enjoy it and that the money would be circulated through the economy.

Not one of my favourite episodes, but that had nothing to do with their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Doooooogggggg!!

What a great site this house is on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

fung sui . here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That view, my God.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Petedakota

I dont know if I enjoy the show, or the sad, bitter jealous posts here during the show more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

LirW wrote: »
    That view, my God.

Just amazing. Where is the lady’s accent from please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Lisha wrote: »

Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd love to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Savage view. Lovely spot.

I think he'll open it up in a big way and they will be drinking in that view from all angles.

She will create a nice design for him.......this could be fun !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Feng whaty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Fu5k me she is hot looking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Tennis courts are annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lisha wrote: »

She sounds German, maybe Austrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Would love to live there. Love the view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

220k is going to be a tight budget for what they need. The house is old enough and needs a lot done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Missed the beginning - how many of them live there, and for how long?

He wants to do up the entire house and add a further 70sqm all for €220k, not a hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Tennis courts are annoying me.
    Constant balls in their garden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement