Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

michellie wrote: »
    Beautiful views, Tramore isnt the best beach in Waterford but the Donerail is smashing, Great spot when its stormy.

I could just imagine the neigbhours trampaline fying into your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

appledrop wrote: »
    That was the crappest episode ever.

It was so badly edited. Not a brick laid until 40 mins in then just fast forward to end. What is the point of that?

Very weird episode + couple.

I have really enjoyed all the episodes so far apart from this one.

Tbh glad it was included for view but really that was all episode was about.

parden the pun but there was a bad energy from this episode.

i felt stressed wathing it and have a bit of a headache.
    god help the builder, he must have put up with a lot

very poorly laid out episode, very little actual build and a lot of nonscience

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

If it actually all came in for circa 600K (site/house + new build) you'd have to say it was a very successful build.

*I'd say the builder aged 10 years, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

michellie wrote: »
    From what I heard, it was listed for much less, and they came in with that bigger offer

But why? She said they bought it blind too. The views trade off for a lot and the end result is really nice but basically paying 320k for a narrow Seaview site in Tramore is sore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Genuinely, without this thread I don't think I'd bother watching this show. On it's own it would be boring.

Never change lads, never change!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like the dark green/gray wall paint. It might work in our kitchen. View is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I agree with her on the slats.
    It would look too Scandinavian but the fence didn't give them enough privacy so don't know what the compromise should be.
    The tennis courts ruin the site for me.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

I wonder did your man research any actual costs for what he was looking for? He was miles off the mark each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

I see Dermot is being Co sued for another build, was in the Times today

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/room-to-improve-star-dermot-bannon-sued-over-home-defects-bw3knk69x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any details on that as I can't view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

griffinlee wrote: »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/room-to-improve-star-dermot-bannon-sued-over-home-defects-bw3knk69x

It’s behind a pay wall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How in the **** was the shed coming in at 120k? Was that including wood work/metal equipment? Seems crazy

I assume they can just walk onto the roof from the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Any details on that as I can't view it.

ROOM TO IMPROVE: Series 5, Programme 4

griffinlee wrote: »

Paywall, what's it about exactly?

siblers wrote: »
    How in the **** was the shed coming in at 120k? Was that including wood work/metal equipment? Seems crazy

He basically wanted another small house, double stories, fully kitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Once again, a very predictable issue - roof in 100 year old house not up to scratch - comes as a complete surprise to Dermot. He really should have planned for that outcome from the start, regardless of what they said about cost savings. It would have been much better for the builder, and would have saved money in the long run by not having to go for planning twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LirW wrote: »
    But why? She said they bought it blind too. The views trade off for a lot and the end result is really nice but basically paying 320k for a narrow Seaview site in Tramore is sore.

Yeah I thought the same, they bought it in 2012 so right at the bottom of the house price crash. Not a direct comparison but a mate bought a modern 2 bed apartment in Waterford city centre in 2012 for €45,000 so €320k for that seemed excessive.
    siblers wrote: »

What he was calling a 'shed' was really another house, he wanted it 2 storey, wired and plumbed. And he wanted it done for €30k, totally unrealistic

That house in rathfarnhm is an eyesore.
    Is that the one in Landscape in Churchtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

klose wrote: »
    I wonder did your man research any actual costs for what he was looking for? He was miles off the mark each time.

I think he did a fairly good job at managing Dermot/the costs. Seemed to be a bit of a ploy to push down the costs at times.

Big question for me is, if the re-roofing / changing the bedroom only cost an extra 12k, then why didn't Dermot / QS explore that option at the start? It would have saved the builder a lot of grief.

Despite expecting a second house for 30k and all the fengwhatevery... I didn't mind the couple at all. She was as mad as a bag of cats, and she knows it, but I warmed to her after she performed the exorcism on the concrete. He was fairly chilled with a dry sense of humour, I thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PARlance wrote: »
    Big question for me is, if the re-roofing / changing the bedroom only cost an extra 12k, then why didn't Dermot / QS explore that option at the start? It would have saved the builder a lot of grief.

I presume because thay went with what they had planning for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Not exactly a loveable couple but he was dead right to low ball everything and challenge the budget. In the end they got what they wanted at a decent price.

120k for the high spec shed was insane by the QS
    Interior was okay, no warmth to it to be honest. Great view though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Yep the planing permission had be resubmitted with the new layout that why the builder had to **** off for a few months. The couple even seemed shocked they had to get planing for a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

He must be a **** pilot as he has no money and obviously didn't make much in his career.

Like if you want to build something and cannot afford it , though **** you don't get it.

I don't think the QS would lie or make up figures, it all comes down the the spec wanted.

So why did they go for planning with a design that relied on a 100 year old roof being sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Wonder how many walked away from that job happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

So why did they go for planning with a design that relied on a 100 year old roof being sound?

I would assume for the same reason they couldn't make the boys room bigger. They couldn't afford it.

I would say he built it on a best chance that it be ok because without forcing it to have to be fixed I'd say the couple wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Calhoun wrote: »
    He must be a **** pilot as he has no money and obviously didn't make much in his career.

Like if you want to build something and cannot afford it , though **** you don't get it.

I don't think the QS would lie or make up figures, it all comes down the the spec wanted.

I think he showed that the figures they were throwing out weren't realistic. They got what they wanted for a reasonable price.
    I'm pretty sure if the couple last week built that house it would have been closer to 400k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hence the "at the start" part, i.e before planning.

The enforced change (new roof and stunning bedroom) only cost 12k. My point was, why didn't Dermot and the QS explore the cost before planning. Dermot said it had been due to budget but I don't think they really costed it out while preparing the plans... because for 12k, it was a no brainer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement