Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

seannash wrote: »
    I think he showed that the figures they were throwing out weren't realistic. They got what they wanted for a reasonable price.
    I'm pretty sure if the couple last week built that house it would have been closer to 400k

Well I don't know what the original designs look like but I don't think a professional QS or architect/ building team are going to over inflate the budget on national television.

If they knew it all why engage with an architect. Especially when you have very specific ideology on how the build should go based upon Japanese principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Not exactly a loveable couple but he was dead right to low ball everything and challenge the budget. In the end they got what they wanted at a decent price.

120k for the high spec shed was insane by the QS
    Interior was okay, no warmth to it to be honest. Great view though.
    It was more of a granny flat he was looking for full plumbing, wired and insulated and I presume he wanted it two storey with the intention of a bedroom, games room or office with a workshop on ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

I could imagine your one spinning the kids around on the floor as they try to build their Lego sets on Christmas morning: "No, you must face this way to build it!" :-)

PARlance wrote: »
    Hence the "at the start" part, i.e before planning.

The enforced change (new roof and stunning bedroom) only cost 12k. My point was, why didn't Dermot and the QS explore the cost before planning. Dermot said it had been due to budget but I don't think they really costed it out while preparing the plans... because for 12k, it was a no brainer.

They seem like a couple who unless forced into a change would not have been open to it.

I would also say that the original design and view he had in mind changed as they kept pushing the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

He was well able to find the money for the bits and pieces extra. Prob worked in the Middle East for years getting big bucks tax free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hence the "at the start" part, i.e before planning.

The enforced change (new roof and stunning bedroom) only cost 12k. My point was, why didn't Dermot and the QS explore the cost before planning. Dermot said it had been due to budget but I don't think they really costed it out while preparing the plans... because for 12k, it was a no brainer.

12k was a no brainer. They didnt know the roof had to be done though. That only came up during the build. I would gave thought that the original planning would have had the main bedroom up there with the view, seems like common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Calhoun wrote: »
    They seem like a couple who unless forced into a change would not have been open to it.

I would also say that the original design and view he had in mind changed as they kept pushing the design.

They did change it (only slightly in the end iirc) and that wouldn't have been easy for DB but I still can't figure out why he didn't present the new roof/stunning bedroom plus the additional 12k cost, from the very first plan.

It's as if he just decided it would cost too much and didn't even explore the possibility.

Very good point above in relation to this as well. It was almost irresponsible to assume a 100 year old roof would be fine.

They did change it (only slightly in the end iirc) and that wouldn't have been easy for DB but I still can't figure out why he didn't present the new roof/stunning bedroom plus the additional 12k cost, from the very first plan.

It's as if he just decided it would cost too much and didn't even explore the possibility.

Very good point above in relation to this as well. It was almost irresponsible to assume a 100 year old roof would be fine.

Had they not been forced into it would they have been open to it and would it have fit with his vision.

We cannot read his mind, I got from it the main thing they wanted was the office and garage originally then pushed back on everything else.

The pilot seems afraid of spending anything unless he has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That couple (esp him) slightly gave me the creeps. I wouldn't have lasted a week on that job, the builder deserves a sainthood.

Lovely job in the end, but after all the fuss about the deck/plinth and the aesthetic being right for the house and the area - then they go and put up cheap picket fencing on the sides? That just looked crap. I wasn't a fan of those slats in the city house (made the sitting room look like a dark cell) but they would have been absolutely right for that house/site.

I'm guessing they never got their gold-plated shed in the end. What sort of madness was that, ffs? As someone said earlier, the QS wouldn't have plucked 120K out of her arse, that obviously reflected the spec he requested.

I'm also guessing they were left with a building site for a garden, as all the finished product shots were carefully of the house and the view and nothing in between.

Terrible episode all round, far too rushed and badly edited.

And wonder of wonders, Dermot managed to come out of it looking like the sane and sensible one.

It's kinda like they thought going on the program they would get stuff for cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the same thing happend last year or the year before. 'suddenly' the roof is discovered to be in a shocking state. its not the builders fault. they price what they are asked to price. its dermots fault or who ever he gets to take the details of the old house.
    an attic is ver easy to get into in most cases so a roof is very easy to inspect and see if its sound or not. you can understand foundation issues and stuff covered up causeing huge problems but not taking the time to look into the attci is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He must be a **** pilot as he has no money and obviously didn't make much in his career.

Like if you want to build something and cannot afford it , though **** you don't get it.

I don't think the QS would lie or make up figures, it all comes down the the spec wanted.

He owns a 600k house. I'd say he's doing alright with his career

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wonder how much did the floor painting **** up cost them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Terrible episode all round, far too rushed and badly edited.

Not a terrible episode but it could have been better. I agree about the editing. Lot of talk re the shed but it wasnt conclusively dealt with either way, which is poor form.
    The Actual building of it seemed rushed also.

siblers wrote: »
    He owns a 600k house. I'd say he's doing alright with his career

Is that what its worth or what he paid for it? Seems to have paid 300k at the bottom of the market in 2012 without seeing it.

Ballsy purchase for someone who seems as tight as a ducks arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Yeah, I accept some "dramatic tension" for TV purposes, but I refuse to accept that roof wasn't known about previously.

Was it that it couldn't be touched to insert(or move) new joists?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm also guessing they were left with a building site for a garden, as all the finished product shots were carefully of the house and the view and nothing in between.

There was footage looking down on the property. Garden had been cleared, levelled (split-level) and seeded/ready for seeding.

siblers wrote: »
    I wonder how much did the floor painting **** up cost them?

They mentioned that it was sanded off iirc.

There was footage looking down on the property. Garden had been cleared, levelled (split-level) and seeded/ready for seeding.

That looked really nice, also looks like they got the wall and gate done.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

A Feng Shui consultant..... If I read two articles on the subject, I could could pass as a Feng Shui consultant. Ridiculous. The "energy" in the room. What do farts do to Feng Shui?

• Advertisement

She must be doing well enough as she needed an office for it, or was that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that what its worth or what he paid for it? Seems to have paid 300k at the bottom of the market in 2012 without seeing it.

Ballsy purchase for someone who seems as tight as a ducks arse.

I wouldn’t sat tight, just likes to see value for money. Why pay more when you can get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

100 to 120 K to renovate a shed.:eek: I know its Ireland but that is extracting the urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

harr wrote: »
    It was more of a granny flat he was looking for full plumbing, wired and insulated and I presume he wanted it two storey with the intention of a bedroom, games room or office with a workshop on ground floor.

I was thinking an AirBnB...

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t sat tight, just likes to see value for money. Why pay more when you can get it cheaper.

Value for money is one thing but when you have very rigid wants they have to be paid for.

I personally don't think the QS has any reason to inflate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I'm not sure why people are annoyed by them returning to planning. They originally wanted the bedroom there but were told to raise the roof would be cost prohibitive. Then when they had to replace the roof anyway they thought that they might as well go back to their original wish.
    I'd like to think everyone would do the same.
    One thing you should be questioning and tight about is the budget on building a house.
    His way about doing it might have been the wrong approach but its the right idea.

Value for money is one thing but when you have very rigid wants they have to be paid for.

I personally don't think the QS has any reason to inflate prices.

I reckon she did just to put it out of his head and get the job finished.

I'm not sure why people are annoyed by them returning to planning. They originally wanted the bedroom there but were told to raise the roof would be cost prohibitive. Then when they had to replace the roof anyway they thought that they might as well go back to their original wish.
    I'd like to think everyone would do the same.
    One thing you should be questioning and tight about is the budget on building a house.
    His way about doing it might have been the wrong approach but its the right idea.
    Of course you want to keep an eye on your budget when your building a house but his attitude came across like he wanted something for nothing.
    I reckon she did just to put it out of his head and get the job finished.

I don't think she would put her reputation at risk just so the job could be finished. Sure didn't they end up spending much longer at it anyway because of the roof?

Goes without saying how much of a success a program is we are discussing costs of housing lol.

I don't think she would put her reputation at risk just so the job could be finished. Sure didn't they end up spending much longer at it anyway because of the roof?

Goes without saying how much of a success a program is we are discussing costs of housing lol.

It kept showing an existing shed whenever they talked about it so im not sure if it was a retrofit of that shed or a new structure.
    Either way i honestly think it was a crazy estimate. She should gave said we can get a basic version of what you want for x.
    Especially when the whole build was for 290k.

• Advertisement

It kept showing an existing shed whenever they talked about it so im not sure if it was a retrofit of that shed or a new structure.
    Either way i honestly think it was a crazy estimate. She should gave said we can get a basic version of what you want for x.
    Especially when the whole build was for 290k.

That would have been ideal but then we wouldnt be here discussing it at nearly half 12:).

The sly bastards know what they are doing.

Still regardless of all i have said the house is beautiful and Tramore is probably one of my favorite places in Ireland. They got something really special there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement