Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

seannash wrote: »
    It kept showing an existing shed whenever they talked about it so im not sure if it was a retrofit of that shed or a new structure.
    Either way i honestly think it was a crazy estimate. She should gave said we can get a basic version of what you want for x.
    Especially when the whole build was for 290k.

Pretty sure it was a new structure as it was 2 storey. A basic one she said could be done for 80k I think she said. I presume that would still have included in that , a newly dug out foundation, groundwork, plumbing, electricity, blockwork, flooring roofing etc.

They were saying shed, but it wasnt a garden shed he wanted, it was a little independant house really. I wish they gave a more concrete closure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

Calhoun wrote: »
    He must be a **** pilot as he has no money and obviously didn't make much in his career.

Like if you want to build something and cannot afford it , though **** you don't get it.

I don't think the QS would lie or make up figures, it all comes down the the spec wanted.

Jesus, u gotta love the internet, s**t pilot n s**t career - eh ok.
    I thought this couple got the best bang for buck of any I've seen in a long time. They didnt have a magic money tree like most the others did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

enricoh wrote: »
    I thought this couple got the best bang for buck of any I've seen in a long time. They didnt have a magic money tree like most the others did

What they got as a build was indeed pretty decent value for money.
    Doesn't change the fact that they paid 320k at the bottom of the market for what turned out to be a narrow Seaview site in Tramore because from the house wasn't much left beside the 4 walls because it was in such a state. And they didn't even go and had a look at it prior to buying. I genuinely can't wrap my head around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

LirW wrote: »
    And they didn't even go and had a look at it prior to buying. I genuinely can't wrap my head around that.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,506 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

nc6000 wrote: »
    How do you know that?

I think she said she didn't see it. However he knew the house well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

LirW wrote: »
    What they got as a build was indeed pretty decent value for money.
    Doesn't change the fact that they paid 320k at the bottom of the market for what turned out to be a narrow Seaview site in Tramore because from the house wasn't much left beside the 4 walls because it was in such a state. And they didn't even go and had a look at it prior to buying. I genuinely can't wrap my head around that.

Location, location, location. Someone posted earlier that they were ripped off n could have got a 2 bed apartment in waterford city for 50k in 2012! Of course they could coz no one wanted them!
    He was working abroad.
    He knew the area well, bought for location, slummed it for a few years and when he got the dough together built a fantastic house.
    Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

wonder did the lad want the shed turned into a mini house as a side earner on airBnB rather then a place for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

neris wrote: »
    wonder did the lad want the shed turned into a mini house as a side earner on airBnB rather then a place for the kids

More like a Feng Shui exempt area I'd say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Calhoun wrote: »
    She must be doing well enough as she needed an office for it, or was that for him.
    Like many pretty women who have husbands with high-paying jobs, she's indulged in her delusion that her hobby is a "career".

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

In the last few episodes they seem to make a big deal at the start over something, the budget, the timeline, the shed, etc. and then at the end of the episode there's absolutely no mention of it. It's driving me crazy.

I think the builder last week estimated he wanted to get the whole schedule down from 21 weeks to something like 11 weeks but realistically 15 or 16. End of the episode, I don't think there was any mention of it :mad:

Like ffs, part of the craic of watching it is guessing the budget before the say it, then how much it, the timeline or whatever is gonna overrun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

The budget at the start they mention seems to be pointless, it was 220k last night and come the end of the episode it was 290k which was apparently under budget then???
    Last weeks episode the same it was on budget with 195k of extras on top?

I appreciate they go in with a lower budget than they have knowing he famously goes over budget but it's a bit mad lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Sleepy wrote: »
    Like many pretty women who have husbands with high-paying jobs, she's indulged in her delusion that her hobby is a "career".

She can actually be found on a freelance platform offering translations, admin and sales support. Not a mention of Feng Shui. I'd say that's what she needs the office for.
    My suspicion is, that the Feng Shui was just used to tease Dermot. Didn't see much evidence of it in the finished product (my sister used to be mad into it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

argolis wrote: »
    In the last few episodes they seem to make a big deal at the start over something, the budget, the timeline, the shed, etc. and then at the end of the episode there's absolutely no mention of it. It's driving me crazy.

I think the builder last week estimated he wanted to get the whole schedule down from 21 weeks to something like 11 weeks but realistically 15 or 16. End of the episode, I don't think there was any mention of it :mad:

Like ffs, part of the craic of watching it is guessing the budget before the say it, then how much it, the timeline or whatever is gonna overrun!

Yeah they've really done this a lot this season, spend loads of time on a point of contention only for no conclusion to be given

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Location, location, location. Someone posted earlier that they were ripped off n could have got a 2 bed apartment in waterford city for 50k in 2012! Of course they could coz no one wanted them!

That was me and I specially stated it was an example of how low prices in the south east got during the very bottom of the property crash. They were low in Tramore too and not because nobody wanted them, it was because the banks ground to a halt and literally stopped lending except for a few exceptions, mainly based on job security. People who had deposits and wanted to buy property couldnt get finance so prices fell further and cash buyers swooped in and made a killing.

To say that property was worth €320k in 2012 is surprising to me when the property price register shows 3 beds with decent gardens being sold in Tramore in 2012 for €70-100k. You could even have bought a 2 bed holiday home just a minutes walk to the beach for €39,000 back in 2012.

There is always a premium on a sea view but not €200k+ of a premium which is why I felt they over paid at a time when some of the best property bargains were about- provided of course you could get finance or were a cash buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I also think they got best bang for their book but their wants asks and crazy demands made it look like they wanted to get something for nothing. The reason i mentioned the career is the average salary if over 100K for an experienced pilot, i would have thought a couple with such rigid asks would make allowance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She can actually be found on a freelance platform offering translations, admin and sales support. Not a mention of Feng Shui. I'd say that's what she needs the office for.
    My suspicion is, that the Feng Shui was just used to tease Dermot. Didn't see much evidence of it in the finished product (my sister used to be mad into it).

But that would mean one couldn't make snide remarks about a woman they know nothing about because she is 'oh the horror' good looking.

I like this thread and less. It seems to be more and more about personal attacks on people and very little about houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

meeeeh wrote: »
    But that would mean one couldn't make snide remarks about a woman they know nothing about because she is 'oh the horror' good looking.

I like this thread and less. It seems to be more and more about personal attacks on people and very little about houses.

Who said she was good looking ?? Seeing as you brought up looks , she’s average at best but she came across as a nutter !! A real wreck the head .. couldn’t listen to her crap talk at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The programme is based on house designs and personalities. Commenting on both is perfectly fine I think as long as you dont go ott. Builders, qs, owners and the man himself are going to be talked about. Not all the comments are negative either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Her job being that of a "Feng Shui Consultant" is what we know about her because it's how she presented herself on the show.

It's common enough in life: when one has a very good job they often indulge their partner's passion in the full knowledge that they could never support themselves at it. Most commonly it's a good looking woman who fancies herself as "creative" (e.g. the trope of the "Facebook Photographer") or "spiritual" (i.e. "Crystal Healing Therapist" or Homeopath). You do see cases of it where the woman is clearly punching above her weight looks-wise and gets the privilege of financially supporting the dashing but penniless "musician" or "writer" but it's far less common ime. Women tend to marry up, not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

I think the couple and their respective motivations regarding the house tends to get over analysed. I haven’t seen a house on the program I wouldn’t happily leave my own for. That said I haven’t seen one on it I’d fancy paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I couldn't watch the full show, had to turn it off,
    Shockin rubbish, worse language would really convey how I feel but there is too much bad language in the world. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,506 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

imme wrote: »
    I couldn't watch the full show, had to turn it off,
    Shockin rubbish, worse language would really convey how I feel but there is too much bad language in the world. :cool:

How was your day Damien?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched this tonight.

Lovely house in the end....
    But absolutely bloody painful couple...you would want to throttle them! Painting the floor before it had dried...fecking idiot.
    I'd say they had the builder driven mad. In the real world Dermot would have given up and left them to it as would the builder!

The budgets on this show seem to be meaningless at this stage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gmisk wrote: »
    Only watched this tonight.

Lovely house in the end....
    But absolutely bloody painful couple...you would want to throttle them! Painting the floor before it had dried...fecking idiot.
    I'd say they had the builder driven mad. In the real world Dermot would have given up and left them to it as would the builder!

The budgets on this show seem to be meaningless at this stage tbh

Tbh honest I didn’t like the outside of the house. To plain, just white with a red roof. Maybe the side planks would have made it look better. The inside was fab as were the views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Lovely house, liked the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭No Bills

griffinlee wrote: »
    ROOM TO IMPROVE: Series 5, Programme 4
    Here it is on the RTE Player: www.rte.ie/player/series/room-to-improve

From the article:
    "The McDonnells' claim the work on the house has left it a "non-exhaustive" list of 10 "major defects" including staircases that contain trip hazards and no handrails. The couple also say the facade of their extension is "extensively cracked" and "delaminating from the substrate" while there is also cracking in the blockwork.

The McDonnells claim the defects have caused "substantial damage" involving water ingress and requiring remediation work. The issues started to become apparent in 2012 and some remediation work took place in 2015, 2016 and 2019, they say. Their case was filed in 2017."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No Bills wrote: »
    Here it is on the RTE Player: www.rte.ie/player/series/room-to-improve

From the article:
    "The McDonnells' claim the work on the house has left it a "non-exhaustive" list of 10 "major defects" including staircases that contain trip hazards and no handrails. The couple also say the facade of their extension is "extensively cracked" and "delaminating from the substrate" while there is also cracking in the blockwork.

The McDonnells claim the defects have caused "substantial damage" involving water ingress and requiring remediation work. The issues started to become apparent in 2012 and some remediation work took place in 2015, 2016 and 2019, they say. Their case was filed in 2017."

Is the case against the builder or Dermot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

Another they forgot to mention was if they got the SEAI grant after the build was completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I'm amazed nobody has dug this out yet

https://www.bespokefengshui.com/about-me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Rfrip

“Assisted by Dermot” lol

Amazing views but didn’t enjoy this episode at all. There was just so little in it and the couple were so unlikable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement