Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jjf1974 wrote: »
    we never saw the rusty roof sheeting she was putting on the ceiling.

It showed it for a quick second as they entered the house first. It looked either really cleaned up or painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm sure I saw a non-rusty bit on the ceiling somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

dee_mc wrote: »
    Yay posh builder time next week! I love him, he's so pompous :)

Ah no I don't think he is pompous at all. I just think he is the Bizness . I just can't wait for it. Excellent entertainment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I noticed it and it looked to be painted black.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Quazzie wrote: »
    Yea, and in particular on the upstairs. The ones on the outside looked very low too.

I don't see anything wrong with them, looks to be <99mm spacing between the cables. I'm say the balustrade on the balcony is 1100mm too. I was surprised when they were discussing doing an open tread stairs originally though, they are a no go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I love it to look at but the Mammy in me is screaming how dangerous those stairs are if you were carrying a little baby.

Baxtardo wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with them, looks to be <99mm spacing between the cables. I'm say the balustrade on the balcony is 1100mm too. I was surprised when they were discussing doing an open tread stairs originally though, they are a no go.

Might be <99mm but they look to be solid steel bars as opposed to cabling. I thought that would be against regs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

But they are on the horizontal and can act as a ladder?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't think them windows on the first floor pass fire regs either.

The bedrooms were on the ground floor ;)

Might be <99mm but they look to be solid steel bars as opposed to cabling. I thought that would be against regs.

Why? There's nothing about materials in the regs in terms of part L. Obviously they must meet structural and fire safety requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think open thread is allowable again if the gap is less than 100mm. This would usually require a downstand.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The bedrooms were on the ground floor ;)

As always I bow to your superior knowledge ;) but would a kitchen not count as habitable space and thus require windows to meet fire regs*?

*might not be fire regs that controls windows on first floor habitable space

Just going on what's in my head here but no. "Escape" windows are only required from bedrooms or habitable rooms that are inner rooms. The only questionable space was her craft room, which couldn't ever be used as a bedroom.

The balustrade did ring alarm bells with me too, a complete hazard even though not strictly against regs, iifc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I am not liking the colour on the outside of the house as it could be a little brighter. But inside the house, Oh yes, it looks great.

I absolutely love it! Think a light/bright colour would just look booooring. That black or dark grey (hard to tell) was class.

Twas there alright, and I think it was an inspired idea. Clever girl, if a bit (a lot) batty.

As for those querying building regs - I'm far from an expert, but I cannot possibly imagine that they would be allowed to broadcast a programme where a building was done in contravention of current regulations. Hard enough to get away with it all on your own, never mind being broadcast to the nation and DB and the builder/contractor having their names attached to it :eek:

Just going on what's in my head here but no. "Escape" windows are only required from bedrooms or habitable rooms that are inner rooms. The only questionable space was her craft room, which couldn't ever be used as a bedroom.

The balustrade did ring alarm bells with me too, a complete hazard even though not strictly against regs, iifc.

The kitchen would only be an issue if there was a bedroom off it and it formed part of an escape route. It doesn't and I think the stairs (which doesn't go through the kitchen) provides a safe route of escape. I think.

It's possible to get dispensations from regs.
    The viewer would never be told however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Did the QS just say that it cost 90k when they said 90 was their first bid but they paid 105?

The kitchen would only be an issue if there was a bedroom off it and it formed part of an escape route. It doesn't and I think the stairs (which doesn't go through the kitchen) provides a safe route of escape. I think.

The stairs is actually open to the same space as the kitchen and in the usual situation that is not allowed. However here there are no bedrooms which use the stairs for escape purposes thus its fine.

It's possible to get dispensations from regs.
    The viewer would never be told however.

Yeah in a private dwelling the clients can do this and absolve the design team from any liability. Would affect selling the house in future etc. though.

The stairs is actually open to the same space as the kitchen and in the usual situation that is not allowed. However here there are no bedrooms which use the stairs for escape purposes thus its fine.

Ah. Yes. Rusty on my memory of all of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Did they show the finished goat art piece?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Only from a distance, it looked good but I would worry about making my house a canvas for "urban artists"

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Anyone know where that reclaimed yard is. Being originaly from cricklewood and spent many a night in the galty my man cave is in need of a new floor and this stuff would be a nice little treat

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andyroid

Hi all!

Andrew from tonight's episode here. I've often followed the real-time commentaries during previous shows... always entertaining and interesting. Of course this time it's of particular interest ;)

Lots of great questions and comments so far, and I'd love to chip in to clarify anything that was left unanswered... If you're interested of course.

So please fire away and I'll check back tomorrow evening and cover the lot in one go.

The project was actually a three year long effort, and nothing about it was straightforward. Lots of real ups and downs along the way. So more than happy to share learnings so others might benefit if undertaking something similar... or are just curious.

Delighted that there has been so much general positivity here, was debating whether to look or not; glad I did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Certainly looks like a winner in terms of design and budget.
    Any major issues with the planning process in terms of change of use, design, raising the overall height of the building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

andyroid wrote: »
    Lots of great questions and comments so far, and I'd love to chip in to clarify anything that was left unanswered... If you're interested of course.
    Just curious about the parking issue. Have ye ditched the car? Or come up with another solution? I guess where ye are ye could easily manage without a car being so close to shops and public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Very challenging project, which turned out brilliantly. Fair dues to all concerned! Will be interested to hear your input, Andrew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what, precisely, was going through your mind when you saw the rusty old galvanized metal in the hallway??

and have you had the house valued at current levels? wouldn't ask you to publicise, but we do all want to know deep down!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Must say i love the house, but there is no living room per say, just a small enclave at the top of the stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hi Andy, What type of heating system do you have now, (I didn't hear any mention on this on the programme) and how much and what type of insulation have you used? I'm assuming it was very much a bare wall scenario when you started.

Btw I love your home! Very individual, and unique. Your wife is a hoot too :-) Well done to you both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement