Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

honeybear wrote: »
    Where is next weeks episode based?

In the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

lazeedaisy wrote: »

Yep.

Wonder what he does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It's very mtv cribs, tacky.. Bland... No warmth... Soulless.. And a fecking walk in wardrobe.
    Last week's house was ten times better than this, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,398 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

lazeedaisy wrote: »

Her jeep had Dublin property rentals on it. Got to be her.

Thought it was awful. Very sterile. And all that money and still an electric hob in the kitchen - betya they never cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What kind of price would the geothermal heating cost? I am thinking 20-25k?

Good estimate, you could be talking 10 euro a foot just to drill the bore hole and they went about 400 feet and usually they do two bore holes so that's 8 grand just for the bore holes.

Then the geothermal unit could be 10 to 12 grand... I think that was the cost when we priced it for our house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What kind of price would the geothermal heating cost? I am thinking 20-25k?

Less than half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Wow, I've come in late and must have been watching a different show to everyone else. I thought she and the husband were grand, normal people and not up their own asses. I kind of get her idea about the guest bathroom - I keep mine in way better nick than my own :o Though I do have the same fittings in each bathroom.

I liked the extension. I think the atrium is a waste of space, but it certainly brings light through into the house. If that amount of money fell into my lap, I'd certainly go for something similar.

<removes fur coat, replaces knickers>

I sometimes wonder what guidance people give Dermot ahead of time, and whether he just blithely ignores it. I think if I was getting an architect in, I'd be specifying things like "I want my bedroom facing that way, or the kitchen facing that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thoie wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what guidance people give Dermot ahead of time, and whether he just blithely ignores it. I think if I was getting an architect in, I'd be specifying things like "I want my bedroom facing that way, or the kitchen facing that"

What you'd be hiring then is a draughtsman, not an architect. Architects design houses to a style that they like, if you don't like the style, then you don't like the architect so hire a new one. People need to realise that before they hire anyone, that's why you should always look to see examples of previous work when hiring an architect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Didn't like the end result at all. The old and the new don't look well together. Didn't think they could put an extension like that on a listed building. They kept little or none of the existing features, seen them taking out a Belfast sink and the cast iron fire place was nowhere to be seen in the finishing shots.

It felt like they hadn't moved into the house or something - there were no personal belongs anywhere, no photo frames, kids toys etc etc. Everything was white or glass, not very kid friendly. I felt the kids bedrooms and play room were to far away from the other living areas and the master bedroom. Maybe I'm in a late night bitchy humour but there was not much thought given to their kids in this build. I'd be forever cleaning the glass banister on the stairs!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

meh! screw the old school house authenticity thing, it was being left to rot anyway. If I had my way I would have levelled the whole site and started again. I hate that twee keeping the old fakery.
    no matter what he did to make it habitable folk would be complaining. If they had rows of desks in the kitchen we'd still be complaining that the original inkwells werent there.
    Just looks like an ikea gaffe ...
    I liked last weeks one though allthough it was a bit 'on view' from the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Armelodie wrote: »
    meh! screw the old school house authenticity thing, it was being left to rot anyway. If I had my way I would have levelled the whole site and started again. I hate that twee keeping the old fakery.
    no matter what he did to make it habitable folk would be complaining. If they had rows of desks in the kitchen we'd still be complaining that the original inkwells werent there.
    Just looks like an ikea gaffe ...
    I liked last weeks one though allthough it was a bit 'on view' from the street.

The owners were the one who wanted the "old school house" vibe going on.....

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

The owners were the one who wanted the "old school house" vibe going on.....

:confused:

I got the impression it was Dermot's idea.

Someone mentioned the curtains were bought in region of the Beacon South Quarter. Bo Concept, where they got the sofas etc, is in that centre too. I wouldn't dream of buying from them - they are so mad expensive. Seems money was no object.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

how much did they pay for the site and original building?

nice shed, on its own, extension to this? doesn't work.

yea, this one thinks she's an architect/designer. whats with the hipster hat? doesn't suit, you're too old.

i'd say he was glad to get out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

VEN wrote: »
    how much did they pay for the site and original building?

nice shed, on its own, extension to this? doesn't work.

yea, this one thinks she's an architect/designer. whats with the hipster hat? doesn't suit, you're too old.

i'd say he was glad to get out of there.

€300,000 according to the National Property Price Register

Link Here

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I got the impression it was Dermot's idea.

Someone mentioned the curtains were bought in region of the Beacon South Quarter. Bo Concept, where they got the sofas etc, is in that centre too. I wouldn't dream of buying from them - they are so mad expensive. Seems money was no object.

They bought it as a derelict "school house" to rear their family after an incident...and renovate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

€750,000 for site + budget.

Could have built something much better from scratch somewhere else for that...though it was lovely inside. Outside is a bit all over the place, the timber doesn't go over there at all.

Had to laugh when she said it was nice and colourful in the room where the kids would be spending their time, it had a shade with 3 colours on it.

lol.

€200 bill during summer after spending that money is abit much to, poor spec by the sounds of it. Similar budgets on Grand Designs have the Electric Companys paying customers for power...though Houses in Ireland are built to fairly sh1tty spec.

They bought it as a derelict "school house" to rear their family after an incident...and renovate it.

I get your point, GSW. What I'm referring to is when Dermot prevailed on them to use the large empty part of the old building as living space, whereas they were planning on building an extension for that purpose. Eventually they put the living room and kitchen into that space, on Dermot's advice, which seems to have been a good idea.

I'm sure empty sites in that area would be next to impossible to find - and planning permission to build on one also almost impossible to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya as mentioned in a few posts above, the upkeep of the large windows and the timber (twice yearly) could be costly. They seem to be fine money-wise though.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I'm sure empty sites in that area would be next to impossible to find - and planning permission to build on one also almost impossible to get.

Correct on both.

• Advertisement

I would have liked a lot more info about the PP as it was listed

="Eyepatch;94107892"]I'm sure empty sites in that area would be next to impossible to find - and planning permission to build on one also almost impossible to get.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Missed it tonight, is it repeated during the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Like last week, these things seemingly aint strict here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Yet another bland cube...no feeling of homliness at all....What Dermot wants Dermot gets...even though he mentioned the lack of moulded plasterwork in the main house he did nothing about this...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,818 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yet another bland cube...no feeling of homliness at all....What Dermot wants Dermot gets...even though he mentioned the lack of moulded plasterwork in the main house he did nothing about this...

you do not just add coving and cornicing to period properties that didnt have them orignially.

thats the ultimate definition of pastiche

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

There wasn't as was much in the planning file (here) as I might have expected. Interesting to note that the timber cladding was preferred over a stone finish by the planners. It wouldn't have been mine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Quazzie wrote: »
    What you'd be hiring then is a draughtsman, not an architect. Architects design houses to a style that they like, if you don't like the style, then you don't like the architect so hire a new one. People need to realise that before they hire anyone, that's why you should always look to see examples of previous work when hiring an architect.

Would I? Having never built a place, I kind of assumed that I'd see a few architects' work, then give them a brief along the lines of "I want big kitchen, 4 bedrooms, a libraryesque kind of room that will be a home office, and I want that facing the view to the west as I'll be looking at it all day. I specifically want a separate laundry/utility room near/off the kitchen for appliances, and I'd like a penis-shaped swimming pool in the back garden".

I mean, surely you have to tell them how many bedrooms/bathrooms you want, and details like whether you want a second reception room, or if one will do. And I'd have thought that's the kind of time to let them know about any specifics - e.g. I don't want any east facing windows in my bedroom, I'm afraid of stairs, I've secretly always wanted to live underground, or whatever.

Thoie wrote: »
    Would I? Having never built a place, I kind of assumed that I'd see a few architects' work, then give them a brief along the lines of "I want big kitchen, 4 bedrooms, a libraryesque kind of room that will be a home office, and I want that facing the view to the west as I'll be looking at it all day. I specifically want a separate laundry/utility room near/off the kitchen for appliances, and I'd like a penis-shaped swimming pool in the back garden".

I mean, surely you have to tell them how many bedrooms/bathrooms you want, and details like whether you want a second reception room, or if one will do. And I'd have thought that's the kind of time to let them know about any specifics - e.g. I don't want any east facing windows in my bedroom, I'm afraid of stairs, I've secretly always wanted to live underground, or whatever.

:D:D

I'd even learn to swim for that alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

andyroid wrote: »
    Yes it would. We're still in touch, so I'll mention that. Could be a nice way to add an extra dimension to the show.

Hi Andy,
    Just caught up on your episode and it was one of the most memorable ones ever. Your home is absolutely fab and very unique. I'm one of those people who would have said you were mad to buy it but like others I'd have been eating my words by the end. Yourself and Avril must be so proud of yourselves. Best of luck to the pair of you in your gorgeous new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,398 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it was straight out of...

width_280

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement