Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Granny will provide free electric for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

They had so little regard for Granny they got rid of her bed. That's actually a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

Poor Granny hope she gets her bed back.

Terrible end result no wow factor , hate the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I felt so sorry for the poor granny, still wearing a coat and hat when she entered the new house. Bless her, I don't think she realised the house is a lot warmer than what she was used to. Plus she deserved her bed back, the other one looked tiny. Even for a 95 year old woman, she still has needs! I don't think she'll be going anywhere any time soon. *touch wood*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Damien360 wrote: »
    And at 95, still living in her own house up until pat turned up and took it, she looks to be very independant and have all her faculties, she knows the reality of what has happened. Shameful treatment by her own family.

That's a horrible statement to make tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Samsgirl wrote: »
    They had so little regard for Granny they got rid of her bed. That's actually a disgrace.

i don't think they did, i think the "pretty" bed and the retro radio was just for show, Granny's old bed is probably in the house granny was sleeping in during the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Hope you are right. We should start a campaign to find out if she got it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dr Pat looks like Frank McCafferty

Frankie-McCafferty-460x367.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Is then show repeated or available online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

suds1984 wrote: »
    Is then show repeated or available online?
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Skerries wrote: »
    Dr Pat looks like Frank McCafferty

Frankie-McCafferty-460x367.jpg

Thank you!!! Couldn't place him during the show but knew he was the spit of someone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

Tonight's programme was a strange one, I didn't like the final result at all. I also thought that a GP would have a much bigger budget than €250k especially when you consider that it was Granny's house to begin with. I missed the first minute or two, did they say that they BOUGHT the house from Granny ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That's a horrible statement to make tbh.

Why is that such a horrible statement? The wife of the family seemed to be far more concerned with her bonkers feng shui ideas rather than considering the needs of the most vulnerable person in the house; and if that wasn't bad enough she put three steps up to the living room. Can't see what's so horrible about what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Does anyone doingbthese builds have a backbone?!?

Dont want grey ... Your getting 4 shades of it suckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A_smurf wrote: »
    I felt so sorry for the poor granny, still wearing a coat and hat when she entered the new house. Bless her, I don't think she realised the house is a lot warmer than what she was used to. Plus she deserved her bed back, the other one looked tiny. Even for a 95 year old woman, she still has needs! I don't think she'll be going anywhere any time soon. *touch wood*

I've never seen Dermot put any real emphasis on energy reduction or renewables or as an architect solar gain, so I doubt its a lot better than the old, certainly nowhere near as good as it could be.

That house was awful, no future plan, the final edit never really showed the plethora of small rooms, and its a hoor to clean in the future. No idea how it cost €275,000 either. Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

In earlier programmes Dermot criticised old bungalows with a warren of small bedrooms - yet that's exactly what he designed this time :confused:

Red Kev wrote: »
    I've never seen Dermot put any real emphasis on energy reduction or renewables or as an architect solar gain, so I doubt its a lot better than the old, certainly nowhere near as good as it could be.

That house was awful, no future plan, the final edit never really showed the plethora of small rooms, and its a hoor to clean in the future. No idea how it cost €275,000 either. Crazy

Have to agree with this.

What ever happened to showing the overall house, warts and all? Bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, living room, hallways the lot? I'm sure we used to get a better overall picture of the builds before.

Now you get the designer kitchen, the living room and a kid bouncing on a bed (close up, so no idea of the size of the room, and it was only one of the six). Surely a walk-through would be good, since the public are watching this and - hey, might even want to see the overall finished product?

My mind is still boggled by the idea of an entire family of six functioning with one bathroom (I know, I know, how far we've come and all that - but this was their big chance! Clean slate, new build, go for it).

And my mind is further boggled - blown, in fact, the more I think about it - by the fact that they GOT RID OF the guest toilet because it backed onto the cooker (in a whole different room, separated by a wall). There aren't enough :confused::confused::confused: s in the world to express how I feel about that. The ONLY OTHER TOILET in the house (bar Granny's, and they wouldn't count that - would they???)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

All the years living in that house I wonder did they leave anything belonging to granny there atal. I'm sure a woman of that age wouldn't be to fussy on that house I wouldn't have minded seeing her en suite/bathroom to see if it was adapted for an older person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

This feng shooooooeeeeey crack fairly got me thinking. Your woman said that when you come in the front door you should never see a wall with a sharp edge in front of you (well something along those lines ) because it represents bad health. That is exactly what you see when you come in our door.and one of the family has a serious illness for the past ten years. I am getting the hammer out tomorrow.

bye the way did anybody get the feng shooooeeey womans number????????????

lulu1 wrote: »
    This feng shooooooeeeeey crack fairly got me thinking. Your woman said that when you come in the front door you should never see a wall with a sharp edge in front of you (well something along those lines ) because it represents bad health. That is exactly what you see when you come in our door.and one of the family has a serious illness for the past ten years. I am getting the hammer out tomorrow.

bye the way did anybody get the feng shooooeeey womans number????????????
    Nina from Nenagh.

There surely can't be too many of them around.

Half (if not 90%) of the housing stock of Ireland would have to have a hammer taken to it if she was believed.

Dermot had great patience, I have to give him that! I'd like to see the outtakes from that show some day......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think people are over reacting about the grannies bed. To me I took it that the bed they showed may have been just a "show bed" and Dermot was suitably reassuring that she could have her own bed.

I think it's really strange that they are going to survive on one bathroom. Admittedly that is probably what that house has always had over the last few years but needs change and you tend to build for the future. It was not Dermots specification though mad fung shui mother won....

In terms of building for the future one could argue that the family and the children's needs are more important than grannies. So its most important that grannies needs for moment ensuite was dealt with (it was not) rather than the steps to the living room - she will likely just never use that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The mish mash of bedrooms and all that - any architect can only work with the brief and budget they get. You could see with the "gym" and the feng shui rubbish that on some things the clients weren't for turning.

While it obviously isn't high up on Dermot's list, last weeks build had a big part of the cost in upgrading the insulation of the original house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

amdublin wrote: »
    I think people are over reacting about the grannies bed. To me I took it that the bed they showed may have been just a "show bed" and Dermot was suitably reassuring that she could have her own bed.

I think that quite a bit of the finished product on these houses is just set dressing for the finished product shots. Someone on a previous weeks show heard Dermot say on the radio that when the budget is gone they bring in furniture for the finished shots. Might explain why the garden furniture is always similar.

I would say that after Dermot is gone, you can start to make the house a home, Paint the walls and unleash the clutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Why is that such a horrible statement? The wife of the family seemed to be far more concerned with her bonkers feng shui ideas rather than considering the needs of the most vulnerable person in the house; and if that wasn't bad enough she put three steps up to the living room. Can't see what's so horrible about what was said.

Of course it's a horrible statement. People seem to forget that room to improve is an entertainment show not a documentary about a build. Going on about granny's needs doesn't make great TV however talking about feng shui and getting a consultant in does. We don't know what was left on the cutting room floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I grew up in a bungalow just like that! Memories! It has been bulldozed to the ground by new owners, who built over it.

I can see Dr. Pat erecting a privvy out in the garden, once reality, regarding toilets, sets in. LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The surprising thing for me was the apparent lack of any planning permission on the build. They changed around the dimensions and added a gym which weren't on the original plans.

Did they get some miracle planning permission exemption on the site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The surprising thing for me was the apparent lack of any planning permission on the build. They changed around the dimensions and added a gym which weren't on the original plans.

Did they get some miracle planning permission exemption on the site?

I'm guessing they sort all that out before the show , it would make for boring viewing if we had to look at planners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm guessing they sort all that out before the show , it would make for boring viewing if we had to look at planners

Didn't they start digging for the gym after the show started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Didn't they start digging for the gym after the show started?

they might be going for retention planning? who knows, they probably mentioned there was a "delay" during the program, didn't they end up 4 weeks behind at some point? could have been a planning delay.... i don't think it matters tbh i'm fairly sure rte wouldn't include it in the show unless it was legit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

This series, handy for timescale, watch Patricia's bump ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement