Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't the client only want originally 2 bathrooms and then they got rid of 1 of them on their own steam.

Not much the architect can do in that case.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,813 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nina from Nenagh.

There surely can't be too many of them around.

Half (if not 90%) of the housing stock of Ireland would have to have a hammer taken to it if she was believed.

Dermot had great patience, I have to give him that! I'd like to see the outtakes from that show some day......

Ive worked with Nina before, lovely woman..

as for the feng shui, a lot of it is actually common sense and actually leads to simplicity and better designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Granny got the short straw in that build there!!.....

Terrible design, like a rabbit burrow....overground.

I hope Granny got a nice en-suite bedroom for her needs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Didn't they start digging for the gym after the show started?

True but for all they went out I'd say they winged it and will look for retention again if they need it .
    I wonder would RTE reply to an email if you asked them .
    Do the people pay for Dermot and Patricias work on the build or does the show pay for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Bullocks wrote: »
    True but for all they went out I'd say they winged it and will look for retention again if they need it .
    I wonder would RTE reply to an email if you asked them .
    Do the people pay for Dermot and Patricias work on the build or does the show pay for that ?
    You can add up to 20 sq m to an existing planning permission for a house as long as it doesn't change the front elevation among other conditions.

• Advertisement

You can add up to 20 sq m to an existing planning permission for a house as long as it doesn't change the front elevation among other conditions.

I didn't know that , it's a fair size extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I recall hearing that Dermot comes free (well as your payment for going on the show) but not sure about Patricia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

kkelliher wrote: »
    I recall hearing that Dermot comes free (well as your payment for going on the show) but not sure about Patricia.

Is that why people get 'talked into' options that the are strongly against when they start the process?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Is that why people get 'talked into' options that the are strongly against when they start the process?

I think this occurs in a lot of projects where an Architect/Designer will have a design or end vision for the project which the Client might not fully understand or grasp. not a new concept by any stretch n the house refurb/extension arena.

I think this occurs in a lot of projects where an Architect/Designer will have a design or end vision for the project which the Client might not fully understand or grasp. not a new concept by any stretch n the house refurb/extension arena.

I understand kk what you're saying in this quote.

I've had a few builds/rebuilds in my time. The "new concept" always cost more money for little reward imo.

It's a fine line between the "vision" and "reality" on the ground if you don't mind me saying so. I'd really like to see a "re-visited in ten years" program....

I think this program doesn't really do favours for re-builds imo. I just see a hockey load of euro's down the drain in many ways....

It's just my opinion. I don't like the bare boxes - bland white window etc that Dermot tends to design....

• Advertisement

I understand kk what you're saying in this quote.

I've had a few builds/rebuilds in my time. The "new concept" always cost more money for little reward imo.

It's a fine line between the "vision" and "reality" on the ground if you don't mind me saying so. I'd really like to see a "re-visited in ten years" program....

I think this program doesn't really do favours for re-builds imo. I just see a hockey load of euro's down the drain in many ways....

It's just my opinion. I don't like the bare boxes - bland white window etc that Dermot tends to design....

I dont disagree with you, I was talking more generally than just the programme

I dont disagree with you, I was talking more generally than just the programme

True.

Point taken....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I get what you are saying in relation to some aspects of a build(more on the structural side), the episode where he insisted the couple should get the outside wall to create a sheltered outside space ... I get why he pushed for it, but last night the people hated (the man described how it makes hime feel sad, depressed, unhappy, ...) gery yet hold up some painted block to the surrounding green and hey presto, we'll have 4 shades of grey?!

There have been people wanting kitchens in colour X and he talks them into a different colour as that is the colour he had invisaged.

I'm sorry, but if I tell my architect that I HATE green ( which I do), then he can show me all the brochures, painted blocks, show houses he wants, I'm not having green in / on my house! No matter what his vision is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I wonder was there ever a case that the client just did not like parts of the build when it was finished Kinda stupid really last night with pat saying that there was going to be no grey and that it was a depressing cold color.
    Hey presto dermot pulls out a few bricks an in a matter of seconds grey is his favourite color.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ive worked with Nina before, lovely woman..

as for the feng shui, a lot of it is actually common sense and actually leads to simplicity and better designs.

nah.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,813 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nah.

Wow.
    So consise and insightful !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Pat did actually say afterwards, that the grey showed up the green surroundings very well and that he liked it. (words to that effect).

If you aren't able to come up with a nice design yourself and pay a wad of money to an architect to do it for you , you're going to have to have a bit of faith in their vision and let them do it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,179 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you aren't able to come up with a nice design yourself and pay a wad of money to an architect to do it for you , you're going to have to have a bit of faith in their vision and let them do it .

But the architect also has to be willing to work to the client's preferences and remember that at the end of the day, it's their house and they're the ones who have to live in it. As a designer you can only go so far in pushing for your own design and vision, and if the client still wants something different, you have to go with what they want and try to make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Last one in the current series tonight :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

New series starting??? Home of the Year. Looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do on a Sunday night. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'll miss my fix on a Sunday night :(

I love all the 1960 craziness :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,384 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ah here my feng shui is messed up enough with Top Gear not on tonight, next Sunday evening I won't know what to be doing with myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

In another few years, that house will be cool again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Aaagh Dermot is wrecking my head already.

A walk in wardrobe!!!!!!!

Look what I just posted earlier this evening!!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057397620

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

150K - Not a lot for everything they want

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    150K - Not a lot for everything they want

Exactly what Patricia is saying.

Patricia! Is that you Patricia?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement