Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Penalty wrote: »
    The slope of the roof pretty much meant this was the only available place for the stairs to he attic - I think

I'd say it was the only handy place. They gutted the whole of upstairs and downstairs. Could of accommodated a spiral staircase further down the landing and robbed a bit of space from another room. Stairs coming up is very low.

Having recently got a conversion done there is so many ways to do any job. A experienced builder with a good eye would of sorted it.

The conversion I got done turned out 10 times better than the person next door, cause of how the stairs were done. Identical houses, different builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anton Savage

Could I get a PM also?? please......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'd love a Pm too please, builder was some eejit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

There is absolutely no way I would have accepted that window from an architect. It looks like a bad DIY job. Having taken on a couple of renovation jobs I have had some cheeky suggestions from builders that they suggested I wouldn't notice when it was finished, but had taken time off work to ensure I got what I wanted, a couple of things still slipped by mind you... I think that couple had too much on their hands during the build. It looked reasonably finished (other than the window) but not worth the money spent by any means and not what I'd accept if using an architect. They seemed like a very nice couple, Dermot did himself no favours there, though I have liked some of his previous houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Would love a p.m. Too please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guys, no more PM requests please. Any PM requests after this post will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Mr E wrote: »
    Guys, no more PM requests please. Any PM requests after this post will be deleted.

I can see why this is the case after half the country requested them but would a mod see if they can get some details and decide what can be shared for the rest of us.

It was all just a bit mad last night, hard to be on anyone's team!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Not a bad way to end the series. House looked nice at the end for the most part. I think the half window would drive me mad no matter how much paneling was added to make it look more appealing. Kind of wish they had brought back Patricia for the final tally of the figures, but maybe because the clients had let her go/baby had arrived she was unavailable for that filming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

A_smurf wrote: »
    Not a bad way to end the series. House looked nice at the end for the most part. I think the half window would drive me mad no matter how much paneling was added to make it look more appealing. Kind of wish they had brought back Patricia for the final tally of the figures, but maybe because the clients had let her go/baby had arrived she was unavailable for that filming.

Has that happened previously when clients have decided to go without her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

A_smurf wrote: »
    Not a bad way to end the series. House looked nice at the end for the most part. I think the half window would drive me mad no matter how much paneling was added to make it look more appealing.

It is a legitimate way to solve the problem when there isn't the money to do it any other way.
    Give me daylight on a dark stairwell any day of the week.
    The only mistake made here was the sop of the panelling imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

To me the issue is that the window isnt split 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Just watched the episode & thought Dermot did a good job on the window in the end. Did not like Jamie at all, came across as too cocky & as if he knew better than everyone else. Nearly expected him to be delivering the baby at some stage !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

just watched the episode. beside windowgate, the house looked gorgeous. never ever bring Jaime back. disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jamie was on it to try for a second time to get his name out on TV I would guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mloc123 wrote: »
    Jamie was on it to try for a second time to get his name out on TV I would guess..
    I didn't see him on The Apprentice, so no idea how he came across there - but I can't imagine he did himself too many favours from a business point of view from his RtI appearance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It is a legitimate way to solve the problem when there isn't the money to do it any other way.
    Give me daylight on a dark stairwell any day of the week.
    The only mistake made here was the sop of the panelling imo.

If I was the client I'd expect the builder/architect to figure out between them who ****ed up, and to sort it out of their own pockets/professional insurance. There's no way I'd have accepted it being left like that, and there's no way I'd have allowed them to continue passed the first "it'll be grand".

There were plenty of better solutions to that window - it's just that all of them would have a cost associated. My preference would have been for two smaller windows (one on each "landing").

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I'd run a mile from a self opinionated Builder who thought he 'knew better'.

Thats not making any comment on any builder on the TV show. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dermot will be on tonights Claire Byrne Live talking about the housing situation in the country now.

Thoie wrote: »
    If I was the client I'd expect the builder/architect to figure out between them who ****ed up, and to sort it out of their own pockets/professional insurance. There's no way I'd have accepted it being left like that, and there's no way I'd have allowed them to continue passed the first "it'll be grand".

There were plenty of better solutions to that window - it's just that all of them would have a cost associated. My preference would have been for two smaller windows (one on each "landing").

He discussed the options with them and the extra cost, which the client wasn't willing to pay as far as I remember. How it was it a ****up by the architect or builder? It came about as a consequence of making the house bigger and unseen problems arising from that. It is why you have contingency funds.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He discussed the options with them and the extra cost, which the client wasn't willing to pay as far as I remember. How it was it a ****up by the architect or builder? It came about as a consequence of making the house bigger and unseen problems arising from that. It is why you have contingency funds.

He only discussed the extra cost to repair after the damage was done.

Well, I'd expect that the professionals would have foreseen the problems with the stairs. The options were discussed after the turn in the stairs ended up there, which is, to my mind, a f***up by the architect, though I'd be willing to accept that maybe the builder moved something without reading the plans, and introduced the fault. Either way, no-one said to the home owner in advance "so, we'll do this this this, then we'll move the stairs, and have a quarter of a window at ankle height on the turn of the stairs, won't that be lovely?"

Contingency funds are there for when actual unforeseen problems arise (you lift the floorboards and discover the joists are made of cardboard). Moving the staircase was a known event (it didn't move itself), and the pros should have thought through the overall impact of that - including the window issue, and worked around it. That's why I think it should be coming from their pocket, not the customers. If one of the builders drops a hammer and smashes your new toilet before it's been installed, do you think the cost of a new toilet should come from your contingency fund, or should the builder replace it?

• Advertisement

He only discussed the extra cost to repair after the damage was done.

Well, I'd expect that the professionals would have foreseen the problems with the stairs. The options were discussed after the turn in the stairs ended up there, which is, to my mind, a f***up by the architect, though I'd be willing to accept that maybe the builder moved something without reading the plans, and introduced the fault. Either way, no-one said to the home owner in advance "so, we'll do this this this, then we'll move the stairs, and have a quarter of a window at ankle height on the turn of the stairs, won't that be lovely?"

Contingency funds are there for when actual unforeseen problems arise (you lift the floorboards and discover the joists are made of cardboard). Moving the staircase was a known event (it didn't move itself), and the pros should have thought through the overall impact of that - including the window issue, and worked around it. That's why I think it should be coming from their pocket, not the customers. If one of the builders drops a hammer and smashes your new toilet before it's been installed, do you think the cost of a new toilet should come from your contingency fund, or should the builder replace it?

The 'problem' arose as the result of a series of knock on effects.
    First problem was the increased head height's required,(As a result of a later decision to convert attic) necessitating modification of the stairs. The stairs where unable to be be modified (unforseen) A new stairs was ordered and that is when it became apparent that the window would be an issue. That is when Bannon gave the options for a solution, the ideal being a new opening.
    That is my understanding of the chain of events. Every renovation/refurb/extension would have stuff like this happening as routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm on my own over in the Home of the Year thread :(

Anyone watching???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

amdublin wrote: »

Anyone watching???
    Clashing with Masterchef - what were they thinking??!!

amdublin wrote: »

Anyone watching???

Sky is telling me it's on Sundays at 5:30pm ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sky is telling me it's on Sundays at 5:30pm ish?

A repeat maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

dee_mc wrote: »

Contestants? Lol why are they making out like you can win a house makeover and not have to pay circa 315k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 peterkiss83

Hello,

Anyone knows what was the budget for the Dundrum semi-D project, last episode of season 8?

No longer available on RTE Player...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hello,

Anyone knows what was the budget for the Dundrum semi-D project, last episode of season 8?

No longer available on RTE Player...

Thanks

It was €150k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement