Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I don't know Mary but my heart is breaking for her. Dermot could have easily left her at the side she wanted and just flip the design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I wonder how he got the house when he has siblings. Seems odd to inherit a house when his mother's still alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sorry to put it like this but what happens when the mother dies? Will the house then remain seperate or will it be joined up in to one house?

You could keep it as it is and use it as a flat for the kids once they hit 18 or so. Potentially rent it out, or Air BnB it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For the location they are in would €200k not have bought a nice 3-4 bedroom house? The mother is not incapacitated, looks able to look after herself with no assistance needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

RobertKK wrote: »
    Thankfully here in Kilkenny and know that match in 2010 was an anomaly.

Seems so expensive to do up the house.

Ye spend enough time telling us anyway.....must hurt all the same...the drive for 5 coming unstuck by Tipp and Lar:):D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I actually gave thought to doing that to my house,create a seperate space for my mother and it wouldnt have been that difficult to do with how my house is laid out. However I realised that wherever "Mammy" is,the rest of the family would automatically think they could walk in and out of and have a say in. Would have no issue with her but would open up a whole other set of problems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Id say the mother is glad to have the company and the son back and is putting up her ladyship. Had to lol at the connecting door proposal and the partner not wanting it, I wonder why lol. Having said that feel very sorry for the mother having to see something her husband built demolished because of the whim of the partner

M

Is the man in the Vodafone ad going to get the ride before Valentines day?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And I've seen houses in the boom being built in 4 weeks. Speed does not mean quality

Buts it's a refurb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I'm actually disgusted that Dermot ignored Mary's wishes. It's HER house, SHE is the client, this wouldn't be happening if she hadn't agreed to sharing the house with her son and daughter in law.

She already agreed to sacrifice the majority of the house to them, the least they could do is let her keep the room she slept in for half a century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A-Train

Feel sorry for the mother not just with not getting anything she wanted or the fact her house was getting ripped apart but her son landing such a lovely girl! Comes across as a weapon, just wants it her way or no way! Never mind all that families good memories in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I don't like how flipant the daughter in law is towards the years of memories in the house.
    I don't blame Mary one bit for not wanting to go back till it's finished. Must be heartbreaking for her.
    I wonder how the other children feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

jluv wrote: »
    I actually gave thought to doing that to my house,create a seperate space for my mother and it wouldnt have been that difficult to do with how my house is laid out. However I realised that wherever "Mammy" is,the rest of the family would automatically think they could walk in and out of and have a say in. Would have no issue with her but would open up a whole other set of problems..
    I never taught of that issue, good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Autosport wrote: »
    I don't know Mary but my heart is breaking for her. Dermot could have easily left her at the side she wanted and just flip the design.

Yes but that doesn't make good tv

I'm just wondering if Dermot has discovered the trend of properly insulating houses and installing a bit of solar heating, LED's etc to reduce long term running costs. Or wood fired heating systems.

He barely managed that in previous builds.

M

Is the mother getting a dining area?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Sorry to put it like this but what happens when the mother dies? Will the house then remain seperate or will it be joined up in to one house?

The mother isn't old! She probably has decades left to live, by which time that couple might have grown up children who could use the separate part of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I just can't get over the size of the house. It's mahoosive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Not at all impressed with Mary's wishes being ignored in the redesign of the house, less impressed with the glee of the daughter in law at the demolition of most of the house - where Mary made a home with her late husband and reared her family. Not liking this couple at all or Dermot's handling of the project !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Dermot's no hurler anyway!

• Advertisement

Dermot playing hurling :D He'll never play for Kilkenny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Dermot's no hurler anyway!

Fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

They're really struggling for fillers here.

Terrible episode so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't help but compare this to the (frankly incomparable) Sarah Jane episode..... you couldn't get more different if you tried.

Poor, poor Mammy......

That d-i-l is SUCH a teacher!

A-Train wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the mother not just with not getting anything she wanted or the fact her house was getting ripped apart but her son landing such a lovely girl! Comes across as a weapon, just wants it her way or no way! Never mind all that families good memories in the house!

Having and All Ireland medal in the back pocket has turned many a womans head. It's a huge turn on/status symbol for a lot of wimmins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,652 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

While I thought the partner was a bit flippant about the magnitude of the change to the family, she's unlikely to but given that she's investing a lot of her money and the fact that the son seems to be on the same page as her, I don't think she is being that unreasonable.

It'd be unreasonable to expect her to just let everyone else make the decisions and let her say little

Bring back Sarah Jane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I'm really hoping Mary is happy with it when it's finished. What a horrible daughter in law, would she do the same to her own mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

This porridge is too hot....

This porridge is too cold. ..

• Advertisement
    M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't help but compare this to the (frankly incomparable) Sarah Jane episode..... you couldn't get more different if you tried.

Poor, poor Mammy......

That d-i-l is SUCH a teacher!

Speaking of Sarah Jane, she was on the Aer Lingus rugby ad last year...

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/08/20/4046968-mullingar-girl-sarah-jane-front-and-centre-of-the-irish-rugby-ad-campaign/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement