Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How is it any different to a teacher buying a house :confused:

Can teachers buy houses? Most of them would lead you to believe they couldn't afford to put beans on toast on the table for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can teachers buy houses? Most of them would lead you to believe they couldn't afford to put beans on toast on the table for dinner.
    Hyperbole much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Galego

Do these Dermot's houses with all these glass walls not cost a fortunate to keep warm? Also, are they not a real pain to keep the glass clean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Autosport wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes Rachel and Steve :D

Sorry..........
    Its Steve and Rachel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thought the builder came across really well and the quantity surveyor is always great.

Not mad on the final result of the project but I think Id have very different taste to the clients. Eg. I love polished concrete. Friend has it in her house and its a brilliant floor.

• Advertisement

Galego wrote: »
    Do these Dermot's houses with all these glass walls not cost a fortunate to keep warm? Also, are they not a real pain to keep the glass clean?
    I'd imagine they're double, if not triple glazed, so not too much heat loss.

Keeping them clean... well it'd be good exercise......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sorry..........
    Its Steve and Rachel

Rachel and Steve :P

In those 5 episodes are they gonna show the revisited houses I wonder. I hope they show Sarah jane and Michael :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's Steve and rachael

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's Steve and rachael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ok so. Rachel and Steve it is so.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ok so. Rachel and Steve it is so.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

trixychic wrote: »
    I hate the dropped living room. Imagine when little baby boy starts crawling. It'll be a nightmare. Love the mothets part of the house though.

I would have no worry for the baby. My two grandchildren live in a house with 6 steps down to the kitchen/dinning area and they go up and down no problem. They are both walking now but when at the crawling stage they just crawled up the steps and went down on their tummies. They have stair gates in place for when they have other children visiting who might not be used to steps/ stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fits wrote: »
    Eg. I love polished concrete. Friend has it in her house and its a brilliant floor.

Is the concrete not very porous and easy to stain or is it sealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Thargor wrote: »
    This is getting a bit ridiculous now, he builds the same house over and over again with zero variation, they should give other architects a go.

Totally agree. Hopefully Co Co Television see that there is definitely room to improve the architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Dermot Bannon, the greatest foe of the curtain and blinds industry.

I'd imagine they're double, if not triple glazed, so not too much heat loss.

Keeping them clean... well it'd be good exercise......

If I am not wrong the best triple at the moment archives 0.8 u value. Surely a good cavity wall will be a much better option.

You dont see the use of glass as much in Scandinavian countries and/or any other part of Europe.......

Is the concrete not very porous and easy to stain or is it sealed?

It is sealed. It is a really hardy floor, and looks great too.

Galego wrote: »
    If I am not wrong the best triple at the moment archives 0.8 u value. Surely a good cavity wall will be a much better option.

You dont see the use of glass as much in Scandinavian countries and/or any other part of Europe.......

Well designed houses using good windows, solar gain, and high levels of airtightness are as warm as any house in Ireland.

And they do have massive windows in Scandinavian countries but they are more like two windows with a gap in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

We never got to see Mary's lounge/dining area. She had just one, granted fairly large, wardrobe for all of her clothes. I'd need about three of them. For a woman living in a five bed-roomed house, this has got to be a massive life-style change. Contrary to other opinions on this thread, I don't think Mary was pleased. I wouldn't be, if I were she. Her wishes were totally ignored. Her smile looked half-hearted - just for the cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Missed the show last night.

Did he do a glass box again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Anyone catch this last night.? A renovation of a house in Puckane Co Tipp.
    Usual budget constraints and I love how the original builder ( the house owner ) had boxed in a few hundred books.
    Budget was 200k - hell, you don't get much for money in this country - I'd almost expect a new 'Grand Designs' house for that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So did Derek build a glass box or what?

The problem of glass is that is a cold surface and the gas between the panes which is the component adding the insulation will fade it off over the years leaving you with a window which barely archives 2.0 u value. Note that a 200mm cavity wall archives u value = 0.16 W/m2K).
    fits wrote: »
    they do have massive windows in Scandinavian countries but they are more like two windows with a gap in between.

And why you think there is this gap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Apologies for starting a new thread. I did a search and nothing recent came up.:eek:
    I thought it was a new series - I hadn't seen it - but not according to the other thread.:rolleyes:

recipio wrote: »
    Apologies for starting a new thread. I did a search and nothing recent came up.:eek:
    I thought it was a new series - I hadn't seen it - but not according to the other thread.:rolleyes:
    That thread is on the go since 2013.

Posts relating to this (new) series are at the end of it.

Daughter in law on Ray D'Arcy now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sarah from last night on with Ray D'Arcy on Radio 1.

• Advertisement

Adi Roche!!!!!

Was driving me mad who she sounded like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement