Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mod
    Reminder this is a public forum and boards.ie can be held responsible for what is posted. I've deleted a few posts as what was posted cannot be substantiated. Nor am I requesting it to be - in the interests of professional confidentiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Is the concrete not very porous and easy to stain or is it sealed?

It's sealed and polished, so it's like a hard wearing lino to clean.

They can be good, we did one with limecrete which had a load of crushed coloured glass mixed in. It looks really good if it's done properly.

I should point out that the limecrete takes way longer to dry than ordinary concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ray not exactly giving her an easy time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

Galego wrote: »
    The problem of glass is that is a cold surface and the gas between the panes which is the component adding the insulation will fade it off over the years leaving you with a window which barely archives 2.0 u value. Note that a 200mm cavity wall archives u value = 0.16 W/m2K).

And why you think there is this gap?

lol!I know exactly why there is a gap. You are simply wrong that glass is not used in scandinavian buildings. It is, extensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Galego

fits wrote: »
    lol!I know exactly why there is a gap. You are simply wrong that glass is not used in scandinavian buildings. It is, extensively.

I never said it is not used. I said it is not used in the same way that in this country. Here there seems this new trend to build a "glass wall" overlooking a tiny garden just for show.

Anyway, we are going off topic with this one. :-)

• Advertisement

I have been in a certified passive house with extensive use of glass and it is really comfortable temperature-wise. Much more so than any older home I have been in. I also spend a lot of time in Nordic countries and the comfort in houses there is incomparable to your bog standard tiger era semi-d.

Room to improve could possibly put more emphasis on energy performance in fairness. It is hard to tell how much it is considered. There are of course limitations when extending onto older buildings.

I have been in a certified passive house with extensive use of glass and it is really comfortable temperature-wise. Much more so than any older home I have been in. I also spend a lot of time in Nordic countries and the comfort in houses there is incomparable to your bog standard tiger era semi-d.

Room to improve could possibly put more emphasis on energy performance in fairness. It is hard to tell how much it is considered. There are of course limitations when extending onto older buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Daughter in law on Ray D'Arcy now!

Was it interesting? Did she provide any updates/info?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I do believe that houses with huge windows can be comfortable (heat wise anyway) but they are so risky: since living in Ireland, I have lived in 3 houses with double glazed windows of various sizes and each one of them was cold, not because the windows were wrong but because they hadn't been installed properly and there was a draught coming from gaps.

In France, I remember my mother having the same problem 30 years ago. She had paid a fortune to have double glazed sliding doors allowing the best view of the ocean and direct access to the garden but then trusted a cousin to install them: we spent a year only using the opposite side of the house because of the cold and draught. Fortunately, after a year she managed to gather enough money to have a more trustworthy person repair most of the damage but winters were never cosy.

After those experiences, I would be very wary about having big windows installed in my house unless I had absolute proof that the person who installs them had done it successfully in plenty of houses before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

awanderer wrote: »
    Was it interesting? Did she provide any updates/info?

She just confirmed that the final cost was definately E207,000, and that they do have a mortgage. They are however going to purchase blinds and curtains .

They have been a couple for 11 years and get on very well with Mammy and therefore there was no question of her being bullied or being unhappy with the build.

Moved back in two months ago.

She was very happy with their builder and would recommend him highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Galego

awanderer wrote: »
    After those experiences, I would be very wary about having big windows installed in my house unless I had absolute proof that the person who installs them had done it successfully in plenty of houses before.

The ones in the show were fitted by Munster Joinery. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Make no mistake, a house built to current regs and properly complying with them will be a very comfortable and efficient house. Yes he had installed a fair bit of glass and yes, the U value of a window panel is very poor compared to a section of insulated wall but the area of window, the direction it faces, the certified performance of the window product is all inputted into the energy calcs for every dwelling now so there is no guess work involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

mickdw wrote: »
    Make no mistake, a house built to current regs and properly complying with them will be a very comfortable and efficient house. Yes he had installed a fair bit of glass and yes, the U value of a window panel is very poor compared to a section of insulated wall but the area of window, the direction it faces, the certified performance of the window product is all inputted into the energy calcs for every dwelling now so there is no guess work involved.

Would those big windows have argon gas in them or a heat reflective coating ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That builder had the patience of a saint, don't see why he had to take the hit when Bannon decided to change things on the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

See now I'm in the mind set at the min of young children and elderly relatives with our situation. And a concrete floor sounds very dangerous. If someone fell wouldn't it be very hard and damanging???

It would be the same for the steps. I just see hazards everyone. Ha ha ha my house would have no sharp corners and lots of bubble wrap. Completely childproof ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Mods please delete. Thanks,

Threads merged...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

amdublin wrote: »
    Threads merged...

??? Ok. Ha I've obviously missed stuff. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Wasn't mad about last nights episode.

What was the craic with the contents of the attic strewn across the back garden? Did they not think to empty the attic before they started and the builders just did it for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Rackstar wrote: »

What was the craic with the contents of the attic strewn across the back garden? Did they not think to empty the attic before they started and the builders just did it for them?

I think the stuff/books had been built into walls that were part of previous alterations. The walls had been built around the books without bothering to clear them out. So when they started to take away the wall, the books that were "built into them" started to tumble out. That's my understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Rackstar wrote: »

Not sure about the attic, but what I thought was odd was that the hurling medals were hidden away in his "office".

Surely something like that would have pride of place in the sitting room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm probably one of the few people who thought the house looked lovely at the end. With the likes of the few steps down to the living space, a child learning to get around manages with a few steps, they grow up with it and are used to it.

I think the woman was right to insist on handles on the kitchen units, better grip and otherwise pay marks both adult and child would be on the units. Not mad on having everything put away, I have most of my kitchen stuff out on the counter just because they are used everyday and I don't have time to tidy!

Was a little bit disappointed to see that not much, if any of the original house kept bar the outside walls and roof, would have liked a little nod or feature retained of the previous house where the guy grew up.

I found the older woman really stepped away from the build, she went to see it once and then said she won't go near it again until it was finished - I found that strange - part of the build was for herself - would she not have wanted her say on that aspect? Maybe they just didn't show that part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,794 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I found the older woman really stepped away from the build, she went to see it once and then said she won't go near it again until it was finished - I found that strange - part of the build was for herself - would she not have wanted her say on that aspect? Maybe they just didn't show that part.

I think Mary found it hard seeing the house she lived in for almost fifty years torn apart and that's why she didn't go visiting it every day. I think they said she was living with her daughter during the build and it was on the same road.
    I'm sure she got a say in the finish because the floor/bedroom finishes were different to the rest of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Red Kev wrote: »
    Not sure about the attic, but what I thought was odd was that the hurling medals were hidden away in his "office".

Surely something like that would have pride of place in the sitting room ?

You'd imagine it would wouldn't you.
    Maybe the "boss" doesn't like the look of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You'd imagine it would wouldn't you.
    Maybe the "boss" doesn't like the look of them

His senior medal maybe, but absolutely everything from underage? I don't know!

Who wants to look at medals on their wall? An office is a perfect place for them.

Like I doubt Beyonce has all her grammys sitting in her living room. And isn't there a big joke about some Oscar winner having his Oscar in the loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

amdublin wrote: »
    Who wants to look at medals on their wall? An office is a perfect place for them.

Like I doubt Beyonce has all her grammys sitting in her living room. And isn't there a big joke about some Oscar winner having his Oscar in the loo.
    Ye I suppose. It's pretty easy to win an all ireland medal. Most hurlers have one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I think Mary found it hard seeing the house she lived in for almost fifty years torn apart and that's why she didn't go visiting it every day. I think they said she was living with her daughter during the build and it was on the same road.
    I'm sure she got a say in the finish because the floor/bedroom finishes were different to the rest of the house.

I'd say being the wife of a builder she's had her share of building sites. Didn't her husband do work on that house a couple of times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I also thought there were some unfair references to the husbands workmanship and use of scavenged materials. It felt like they were making a mockery of his work at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I think the woman was right to insist on handles on the kitchen units, better grip and otherwise pay marks both adult and child would be on the units. Not mad on having everything put away, I have most of my kitchen stuff out on the counter just because they are used everyday and I don't have time to tidy!

I thought the handles looked horrific. They were too many for the size of the kitchen. Handless doors are pretty easy to open anyway.

The whole kitchen was so out of style. White high gloss IMO was dated 5 years ago, never mind in 2016. I dont see the point of getting a designer, when you are going to insist on a date kitchen and horrible looking tiles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement