Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving with the car to Scotland!

• 04-05-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I'm heading to Scotland on the 26th of this month for a two year minimum work contract and will be bringing the car with me. As the car was originally a UK motor, does anyone know if the procedure of re-registering it takes long? Also for insurance purposes, is the car still considered an import as I'm bringing it into the country even though it was originally a UK car?

I hope that somewhat makes sense. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Cul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I'm heading to Scotland on the 26th of this month for a two year minimum work contract and will be bringing the car with me. As the car was originally a UK motor, does anyone know if the procedure of re-registering it takes long? Also for insurance purposes, is the car still considered an import as I'm bringing it into the country even though it was originally a UK car?

I hope that somewhat makes sense. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Cul.

Don't forget to bring it for VRT inspection before you go, so you can get your VRT back...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Sell it and buy one over here, they are cheaper, then bring a better one home!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Sell it and buy one over here, they are cheaper, then bring a better one home!

Still have a fairly substantial outstanding loan on the car so that's not an option I'm afraid.

Just wanted to update this post for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.

First thing I did was to declare the car on VOSA and pay any outstanding duty. Afterwards, apply for an Import Pack on the DVLA website, which takes about 2 weeks to arrive. Once all the relevant pieces of paper were completed, get the car booked in for an MOT - managed to book a discounted one with Kwik-Fit for about £30 versus the usual of £50+, so shop around.

Once that was done, I called around to find an insurance company that would insure me on the chassis number, of which there are a limited amount. Ended up going with Adrian Flux, who charged me £780 and acknowledged my Irish NCB. Customer service here was excellent (so far) and I have to recommend them. Note that many of the insurance companies will insist that you get a UK license, however this is not necessary - defeats the whole purpose of the EU really & is complete nonsense.

Once the car was insured, Adrian Flux gave me 28 days to get the car registered. As the car was originally a UK car, I didn't need the Certificate of Conformity - you will need this if your car was first registered in Ireland. Having all the relevant info, I headed to the DVLA office in Dundee with 2 forms of address (bank statement and gas bill of my current address) and my drivers license, along with the registration forms sent by the DVLA. For me, it was simply a matter of giving me back the original registration plate of the car, even though my car had left the UK 6 years ago. I paid the motor tax there and then (£125 for the year for a 1.9tdi) and off I went.

A few days later, my tax disc arrived in the post along with a document that allowed me to request plates to be printed. And about a week later, my V5C arrived in the post. Here's hoping this will be of some use to someone else & help reduce the amount of time you might have to spend sussing things out!

Best regards,

Cul.

Just wanted to update this post for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.

First thing I did was to declare the car on VOSA and pay any outstanding duty. Afterwards, apply for an Import Pack on the DVLA website, which takes about 2 weeks to arrive. Once all the relevant pieces of paper were completed, get the car booked in for an MOT - managed to book a discounted one with Kwik-Fit for about £30 versus the usual of £50+, so shop around.

Once that was done, I called around to find an insurance company that would insure me on the chassis number, of which there are a limited amount. Ended up going with Adrian Flux, who charged me £780 and acknowledged my Irish NCB. Customer service here was excellent (so far) and I have to recommend them. Note that many of the insurance companies will insist that you get a UK license, however this is not necessary - defeats the whole purpose of the EU really & is complete nonsense.

Once the car was insured, Adrian Flux gave me 28 days to get the car registered. As the car was originally a UK car, I didn't need the Certificate of Conformity - you will need this if your car was first registered in Ireland. Having all the relevant info, I headed to the DVLA office in Dundee with 2 forms of address (bank statement and gas bill of my current address) and my drivers license, along with the registration forms sent by the DVLA. For me, it was simply a matter of giving me back the original registration plate of the car, even though my car had left the UK 6 years ago. I paid the motor tax there and then (£125 for the year for a 1.9tdi) and off I went.

A few days later, my tax disc arrived in the post along with a document that allowed me to request plates to be printed. Here's hoping this will be of some use to someone else & help reduce the amount of time you might have to spend sussing things out!

Best regards,

Cul.

Did you not apply for VRT refund in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Thanks for update op that wil be a good help to many people forced to leave and go to uk. good luck in Dundee

CiniO wrote: »
    Did you not apply for VRT refund in Ireland?

Wasn't the original owner that imported it to Ireland so it wasn't applicable to me I'm afraid.

Wasn't the original owner that imported it to Ireland so it wasn't applicable to me I'm afraid.

My understanding is that no matter if car was imported by you, by someone else, bought brand new in Ireland from a dealer by you, or someone else and changes hands 10 times it still doesn't matter.
    You - as a current owner - can get VRT refund when exporting or selling a car for export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Anyone any ideas on this.

I purchased a ex demo Car in the UK (2008) and imported it to Ireland.

If I wanted trade this car in the UK would it be possible to get a refund on a portion of the VRT remaining less 500 and get the UK reg back so I could trade it in for another UK car.

Or is this impossible / to much work.

dingding wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on this.

I purchased a ex demo Car in the UK (2008) and imported it to Ireland.

If I wanted trade this car in the UK would it be possible to get a refund on a portion of the VRT remaining less 500 and get the UK reg back so I could trade it in for another UK car.

Or is this impossible / to much work.

I'm sure it's possible and it shouldn't be too much hassle.

For VRT refund AFAIK you need to book appointment with NCTS for inspection which costs just over 30 quid.
    Then when you have car registered in UK you send a proof of this to Irish revenue and they issue you a refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement